Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
schiz0id

The One With The Gargantuan Task

Hey eden,

The plasterboard they used to cover the arghly recessed area is more commonly known as gypsum board.

It looks sturdy but if you hit it, I think there'll be a dent or in worst case scenario, might leave a hole in your wall.

If you're talking about putting a nail on it, my carpenter advised against putting a shelf on it. If you wanna hang a picture or something light I suppose it can withstand the weight.

Hope that helps :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I'm going to ask a totally dumb question - are the boards tough enough to withstand the force if a person literally :bangwall: ? :lol:

Hahaha! :lol:

Not too sure about that and doubt I'll try it to tell you but I'm guessing it also depends on the force upon impact. :P

Hey schizoid,

I'm going to ask a totally dumb question - are the boards tough enough to withstand the force if a person literally :bangwall: ? :lol:

Depends on force... If those determined to d*e, the wall will have a hole...

Just back from the new place.. The plasterers were at work there til 11pm. Before you take pity on my neighbours, it's no noise kinda work. Just plastering and touching up the joints of the plasterboards in the false ceiling. Anyway, still no one living immediately upstairs and downstairs of me.

The plasterers managed to finish in one day, what would've normally taken one week to complete (according to the boss). :rolleyes: Well, too bad for him.. Deadline was set weeks ago, he should've assigned more people the past few days. Oh well, all done already! :D That's most important.

Will upload the pics tomoro when I get a better picture in the day. :good:

The schedule for the next few days (the final lap) -

Sunday - Painting

Monday - Painting, Washing

Tuesday - Lighting and Sanitary Installation, Carpentry, Grilles & Doors Installation, Touch-up works (tiler/plasterer)

Wednesday - Carpentry, Touch-up works (tiler/plasterer)

If works go according to schedule, we should be in good time. Praying hard. Last lap already. :sport-smiley-004:

all the best to you reno buddy! thumbsup.gif my reno schedule is all haywire these few days, so i hope they will be able to finish soon too as i am ready to furious.gif !

all the best to you reno buddy! thumbsup.gif my reno schedule is all haywire these few days, so i hope they will be able to finish soon too as i am ready to furious.gif !

Thanks sleek! Hope we can both move in soon! :drunk:

Finally.... After almost 7 weeks since we started hacking, the house is starting to take shape and look like it popped out from our 3D drawings.

INSTALLATION UPDATE

CIMG0669.jpg

Main gate was delivered yesterday. Bronze wrought iron gate. Fire-rated main door yet to arrive thus you can still see the support in the door frame, eagerly waiting for the main door to be installed. :)

CIMG0661.jpg

The toilet doors have also arrived. Sand-blasted glass doors for that nice clean look. :good:

CIMG0664.jpg

My parents' 'shower screen' also installed (It's also a casement door that will open up to the shower area and toilet bowl) There is the actual toilet door yet to be fixed up that will be just below the aircon unit. Aircon for all the rooms also installed yesterday and protected with a plastic sheet. :D [Changed our minds and got the Daikin ones instead]

CIMG0660.jpg

The window grilles came yesterday, but I didn't allow him to install. :no: Simply because painting works were still ongoing.

Like I told my ID, why make the painters spend time to cover up the grilles nicely before painting, then have them go around it carefully, and then still have to clean the spots that were accidentally painted over?! *grumble* Might as well, one shot let them paint finish, then the grilles can be fixed up. No time wasted. Afterall, the grilles people could not do installation for a few areas because plastering was not finished yet when they came yesterday morning. So one shot do. :rolleyes:

CEILING/PLASTERING UPDATES

So after scolding people the past few days, the ID (after incessant nagging and scolding from my parents) finally gave his ultimatum to the plastering boss yesterday and one shot there were almost 10 people just doing plastering of our living area and false ceiling and box-ups.

What they would usually take a week to do, they managed to finish in 7 hours. They did till 11pm last night. Started gathering people after lunch and people started trickling in til about 4pm, they were in full force.

BOX-UP

CIMG0655.jpg

Box-up done in my brother's room (BR2). Hides the 2 arghly water pipes that were running across. The wardrobes have also finished on Friday and have been covered to protect against painting works. :)

CIMG0657.jpg

Box-up done in my other brother's room (BR4). Also hides the water pipes and electrical trunking. The water heater is installed in his toilet so water pipes were installed to run to my toilet (kitchen). The yellow and beige paint chosen for his room also waiting one more coat. :D

CIMG0652.jpg

Box-up done in the dry kitchen to cover up water pipe and citygas copper pipe. After nudging by my parents, my ID threw in all the 3 box-ups for free. :P

FALSE CEILING

CIMG0654.jpg

Just a sneak peek of the false ceiling that was all done. The orange arrows show the two strips that we will be having cove lights, Between the cove lights are L-boxes for our many downlights. [My living area alone has 21 downlights :P ] The yellow arrow shows my dining false ceiling, affectionately known as the 'flying saucer'. ;)

CIMG0653.jpg

Our 'flying saucer' - a suspended ceiling with cove lighting all around. The two strips of recessed areas in the false ceiling will have downlights in them. :D

Painting works are ongoing today and tomorrow. Painter uncles say will definitely finish painting by tomorrow. Chemical wash will take place tomorrow night. Hope things will continue going zoom-zoom!! :sport-smiley-004:

Was given a nice surprise today.. ID smsed me early this morning to say Carpenter says he's on his way to the house. He was supposed to only come on Tuesday. But since he wanted to be early, I wouldn't refuse! :P

CARPENTRY

CIMG0695.jpg

Platform and full height cabinet was up in the Study today. Doors will be added soon. :)

CIMG0694.jpg

Dry kitchen full height cabinets were also up today. The laminate has a protective covering thus it doesn't look glossy though it should. Not completed yet, will take pics again when the breakfast table is installed tomoro :D

Painting works will be finishing tomorrow. They had lots of areas to touch up thus the slight delay. Uncle said will finish in the morning. Chemical washing cannot be done large scale already since carpentry is already up. Will have to see how things go from hereon. Rubbish will all be cleared tomorrow morning. Can't wait to finally see a CLEAN place.

More updates tomorrow!! :sport-smiley-004:

good to see your progress over the past few days! also happy for you that your carpenter come a day earlier than expected dancingqueen.gifand yes, hope both of our families can move in as planned bowdown.gif