Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
frostyapple

Should I Keep My Granite Floor ?

I just bought a resale flat which comes with a granite floor. It is 12 years old. I am wondering whether I should keep it or hack it. I heard that granite is scratch resistant but it can absorb water easily and is not easy to maintain. Is this true ?

Also, is a 12 year old granite floor too old ?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi frosty,

Have you heard of the older the jade is, the nicer color it will turn? :sport-smiley-004:

Btw if the color you like you can just polish it. It will shine back. As for the water Absorb is the marble flooring. And its easy to maintain, as you can see most of the commercial building they are using granite, and they are using those cleaning machine to clean them with plenty of water.

Hope this info help. :yamseng:

I just bought a resale flat which comes with a granite floor. It is 12 years old. I am wondering whether I should keep it or hack it. I heard that granite is scratch resistant but it can absorb water easily and is not easy to maintain. Is this true ?

Also, is a 12 year old granite floor too old ?

Yeah, Granite does absorb water easily. Maintenance wise, it is not that hard to maintain. Try google for cleaning products that are meant for granite floors, there are lots.

12 year old should be still useable.

Just IMHO

if you like the colour and design then keep it, if not hack it. If you don't like it you'll feel pain every time you see the floor and very hard to change once you move in.

For me I hack all and redo with homogenius tiles.

It depends on whether you will like the flooring. Of course, by not hacking it, you will save a great deal. If it is something which troubles you, hack it!

Granite is harder then marble, it does absorbs water when you leave the water patch for days. If you found water patch and wipe it off soon. Not a problem. Granite can't be polished. Granite is a little cheaper then marble but a lot more expensive then homogeneous tiles.

For me i choose marble due to the grout line that is even with the flooring after getting polished. It can be polished in time to come and it can regain its shine once again. And marble flooring has the color that i want. It is porous, and over time, the marble might change its lines and color will be lighten if white cement is used.

Before that i was deciding between marble, granite and homogeneous. And realized granite does not have the color that i wanted. So i moved on and decides between homogeneous and marble, due to the huge price difference. In the end, i choose marble, as i know in future, i will look at the floor everyday and regret if i didn't do what i have wanted due to the price difference. And this regret will carry on during your stay in the house.

Granite would leave a water stain. I think you can ask for the granite to be sealed, which should prevent this from happening.

I personally don't like granite, cause the colours are quite limited.

Dear all,

Thanks for all your replies.

The granite floor is in very good conditon so I find it quite a waste to hack.

It is close to red in colour, not my favourite colour, but I can live with it.

My concern is whether it will be difficult to maintain because I am a very lazy person, I will mop my floor once every month only when I don't have a maid.

But my floor almost never has puddles of water on it, just dusty.

It does not seem too difficult to maintain judging from the replies.

new things are always nice looking one, after a while scratches from daily use will render u immune to it. same applies to a new flooring or repolished one. after all, the granite flooring is factored into your cov. hacking it means literally throwing your money to the drain n spending more to redo.

new things are always nice looking one, after a while scratches from daily use will render u immune to it. same applies to a new flooring or repolished one. after all, the granite flooring is factored into your cov. hacking it means literally throwing your money to the drain n spending more to redo.

Fully agreed with the throwing money to drain part...guess I missed that it is already included into the house price.

Mine is granite floor. Previous owner owned cats. Not sure why certain tiles - the colours are darker - it seemed like stained. Can it be the cat's urine or coffee stain the granite floor?

We ever asked the previous owner - they claimed it the natural colour of the granite (we don't know much about granite).

Mine is granite floor. Previous owner owned cats. Not sure why certain tiles - the colours are darker - it seemed like stained. Can it be the cat's urine or coffee stain the granite floor?

We ever asked the previous owner - they claimed it the natural colour of the granite (we don't know much about granite).

HI,

I think it all boils down to whether are you renovating your kitchen / whole house or not. Me too, just bought a flat. At first thought of keeping the floor tiles as owner did reno 9 yrs back. But we eventually hack & change all the tiles 'cos the floor tiles doesn't match the kitchen concept. I am a perfectionist.

So I wouldn't want to have a new designed kitchen with an old design living & rooms' tiles. So end up, we change it to suit the concept. We did our homework & ended up spending less as compared to rumours about how expensive renovation of whole house can be.

HI,

I think it all boils down to whether are you renovating your kitchen / whole house or not. Me too, just bought a flat. At first thought of keeping the floor tiles as owner did reno 9 yrs back. But we eventually hack & change all the tiles 'cos the floor tiles doesn't match the kitchen concept. I am a perfectionist.

So I wouldn't want to have a new designed kitchen with an old design living & rooms' tiles. So end up, we change it to suit the concept. We did our homework & ended up spending less as compared to rumours about how expensive renovation of whole house can be.

9 years back...Is that consider long or short?

How many years are the "normal" reno gaps?