Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alicia_yong

Question On Installation Of Bath Tub, Storage Heater & Rain Shower

Is it necessary to use storage heater for rain showers? And also is it necessary to use storage heater if got bath tub? I'm trying not to use storage heater as I dun like to wait for the rite temperature before I bathe, hence the questions.

And does anyone know whether do we need to hackthe toilet floor tiles if we were to install a bath tub?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I recently did an experiment with my shower. Original setup was a storage heater with a concealed mixer. Shower was very powerful and hot.

But, as u mentioned, I din like the long time to get the hot water, so I installed a 3KW Joven EC707 instant heater. (Joven models specs allow high flowrates) The mixer instead of the hose going to the shower head, I it connected to the instant heater, and then instant heater was connected to the original shower head.

Observation..

When full blast, the water was slightly warm. When flow was halved, the water was hot. This suggests, the instant heater cannot heat the water fast enough.

I changed to the original joven showerhead, which had tiny water spouts instead of the normal sized TOTO shower head. The water was hot even at mixer full blast. This suggest that the instant heater showerhead was designed as a water saving feature, and limited the flow.

My conclusion.. using instant heater .. the water pressure will be ok. But then.. the heater will not be powerful enough to heat the water.

If got bathtub, which requires high flowrate to fill the tub, then instant heater sure no use. If bathtub is purely used as s shower tray.. then still ok.

Therefore.. best is do like me, storage heater setup.. but connected to a instant heater. Best of both worlds. If the storage hot water heater reaches the instant heater, the instant heater has a overtemp sensor cutoff, so the instant heater wun be double consume power.. so still ok in terms of power consumption. But .. imagine.. 2 water heater power points!

To install bathtub.. need to build a low wall to support the tub. That brick wall need to sit on cement screed (instead of sitting on orignal tiles) , so that few tiles have to be removed. Can replace with some nice skirting tiles ( or mosaics) after that.

Hi yoongf,

Ya man, 2 water heater points! But den u gotta switch on both the instant heater & storage heater?

As for the bath tub, do u tink it will spoil the water proofing wich hdb has alr done?

Swiitch on 2... dun mean consume 2 heater leh. The instant one.. unless is actively heating, wun be consuming much power other than the LED light when in standby mode. When the instant heater detect the storage hot water, the overheat sensor will auto cut off power.

Hack toilet tile sure will cause damage to water proofing. When worker hack.. dun really take care. My view is this.. waterproofing fault is very costly to rectify.. involve hacking, rewaterproofing, retiling, downstairs false ceiling, painting, and work downtime.

Given the high opportunity cost of defect, dun risk it lor.

Imagine if toilet floor is marble.. and u can't get back same tonality... xim tia leh.

Swiitch on 2... dun mean consume 2 heater leh. The instant one.. unless is actively heating, wun be consuming much power other than the LED light when in standby mode. When the instant heater detect the storage hot water, the overheat sensor will auto cut off power.

Hack toilet tile sure will cause damage to water proofing. When worker hack.. dun really take care. My view is this.. waterproofing fault is very costly to rectify.. involve hacking, rewaterproofing, retiling, downstairs false ceiling, painting, and work downtime.

Given the high opportunity cost of defect, dun risk it lor.

Imagine if toilet floor is marble.. and u can't get back same tonality... xim tia leh.

Hi yoongf, I jus spoke to the designer yesterday & enquired on the bath tub. Apparently he told me no need to take out any tiles, coz he will jus put the tub on top of existing tile, but come to tink of it, i beta not play ard wif this, so as not to haf any waterproofing issues in future. Btw, i also found a website which sells portable bath tub, looks ok, so if i really want a bath tub, will most likely buy tat. Heheh!

As for the heater, designer actually suggested using citygas heater, but i told him i heard ppl say it's no gd coz it takes some time for the water to be hot, but he said otherwise. He said citygas is gd and hot water is almost immediate after turn on shower. Am not too sure on tat tho.

Anyway, the designer's quote (wich he gave us yesterday after 2nd appt), is considered too high for us, considering the tings tat he will be doing for us. So most likely will be giving him up. Now am considering another firm, but jus read the forum thread, seems like not too gd reviews. Haiz...

On 2 November 2011 at 2:31 PM, alicia_yong said:

Hi yoongf, I jus spoke to the designer yesterday & enquired on the bath tub. Apparently he told me no need to take out any tiles, coz he will jus put the tub on top of existing tile, but come to tink of it, i beta not play ard wif this, so as not to haf any waterproofing issues in future. Btw, i also found a website which sells portable bath tub, looks ok, so if i really want a bath tub, will most likely buy tat. Heheh!

As for the heater, designer actually suggested using citygas heater, but i told him i heard ppl say it's no gd coz it takes some time for the water to be hot, but he said otherwise. He said citygas is gd and hot water is almost immediate after turn on shower. Am not too sure on tat tho.

Anyway, the designer's quote (wich he gave us yesterday after 2nd appt), is considered too high for us, considering the tings tat he will be doing for us. So most likely will be giving him up. Now am considering another firm, but jus read the forum thread, seems like not too gd reviews. Haiz...

Hi, in the end do you install storage heater for ur bathtub? How many liters needed for a bathtub?