Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
schiz0id

How Often Does Your Id/contractor Go On-Site During Renovations?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to find out what is a normal frequency for IDs/Contractors to visit the site (your new house) during renovations.

I know it varies, so just wanted to find out what's the norm.

Thanks for joining the poll and hope this sheds some light for many others as well! :thumbs up:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hmmm... Seems like no one's ID/contractor actually makes the trip down everyday.

My ID, during our first meeting, told us that he will go down everyday. Every single day.

After signing, when we asked him again, he said every other day.

Now, after renovation works have started, it's when necessary.... :no:

They will come on the next day whenever I have complaints on works done.

At first I thought they will come everyday but in fact they are really too busy to come down.

At first I thought I will visit the site to check the progress daily but I also ended up didn't do it this way.

Well, from reading some of the t-blogs here, I noticed some of these ID/contractors visit their sites everyday.

And one of the IDs in my shortlist phase also 'sompa' that he goes down to the site everyday, so I always thought that's the norm.

:dunno: Oh well, guess I'm the only one who goes down religiously to look at the works done :P

Go down everyday - A flat/apartment finishes in 3-4weeks, no defects after handover.

Go down randomly - Contractually 4weeks, but delay another 2-4weeks. Defects still not cleared by handover time.

Go down only when they want to claim payment from you - Hmm...

Go down everyday - A flat/apartment finishes in 3-4weeks, no defects after handover.

Go down randomly - Contractually 4weeks, but delay another 2-4weeks. Defects still not cleared by handover time.

Go down only when they want to claim payment from you - Hmm...

Hey rummi, I really love the way you put it. And I totally agree with you. :good:

But I guess most people fail to see it that way. That's why for me, because time is so tight, I really would've preferred my ID to go down everyday.

Being there everyday, I do realise that it helps because the workers do have questions once in a while or sometimes miscommunication arises and you can nip the problems in the butt immediately.

Give you an example. My common toilet's sink was supposed to be placed next to the toilet bowl (away from the old position). When they were just about to waterproof the floor with the cement screed, I noticed they didn't lay the pipe for the new sink position, even though I had already told my ID the position is not at the old position. So when I told them, the workers were very thankful that I'd saved them a wasted effort. Else they'd have to hack off the floor and re-screed and probably even re-tile the toilet! :blink:

There are a few more examples but I guess you get the idea.

So I guess having someone there everyday really does help. :)

My iD goes down only when necessary while I go over every few days. But guess he might not have the time to visit every house. | m okay as long as he respond to my calls and rectify whatever complains I have at the soonest possible time..

My iD goes down only when necessary while I go over every few days. But guess he might not have the time to visit every house. | m okay as long as he respond to my calls and rectify whatever complains I have at the soonest possible time..

I guess it's important for them to respond to calls if they don't go up as often.

Seems quite difficult to get them to go up every other day too.

One of the sub-contractors working on my place told me that the ID trusts them therefore doesn't go up everyday. :rolleyes:

Will usually go up in the morning to see the progression. Need to give clear instructions to the sub cons. Over see the up coming problems, rectify it before it actually being done.

My ID will come by the house whenever there is new works going on to make sure the sub-contractors are briefed on the reno-plan and changes.

I go check every weekend and on days where there are works going so that anything not done right I can quickly ask the sub-contractor to change/re-do immediately rather than wait until they finish everything.

However, there are times when I do not have time to go down to check and they already finished. Then have to notify my ID to come down and discuss. Usually it's a matter of whether I wanna delay the renovation by asking them to redo or accept the less than desired works.

dont think they will go down everyday la.

They also have some other projects on hands to follow up.

Unless they got project nearby your house they might drop by for a short look-out for you nia.

Normally its like

1)when you got things delivered to your new hse for installation,the ID will drop by to countercheck the items for you(In case you are not free)

2)when you make ur rounds of inspection & found something not right & give ID a call,then they will cum over to settle.

3)when its the first day of "major" works(that require the ID to talk to the contractors abt layout of wiring stuff,etc)then ID will cum over.

Other then these,i think normally ard 2 times-3 times per week is their normal procedure ba.

Will usually go up in the morning to see the progression. Need to give clear instructions to the sub cons. Over see the up coming problems, rectify it before it actually being done.

This is the correct way :good: otherwise have to Redo then waste worker's effort & our money