Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Stayhj

Yishun Jade Spring, First Home

Hi,

I've gathered lots of useful info from this forum, as well as the Jadespring Facebook. Would like to share my reno experience as well. Some photos of my completed place:

Master Bedroom:

I used Evorich Allure laminates. Supposed to be 100% waterproof. Rustic Maple, so far so gd. Ceiling Fan was "Alpha Sunflower", the blades fold into the lamp when it shuts down. Light is dim though, so you would need other lights to supplement the room. I liked the design.

IMG_0609.jpg

Master Bedroom Toilet:

The doorframe was big, ended up that my vanity top became very narrow. Hence, the solution, made a frosted glass door with a fixed panel. This allowed me to have a bigger vanity top that protrudes into the doorframe. It also curves in subsequently to give me room beside the toilet bowl.

IMG_0604.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet:

Wife wanted a full kitchen, hence we squeezed the 2 bowl basin, hob, hood and oven all in. Black granite top, hard and heat resistant.

IMG_0739.jpg

Dining Area:

Bought this Dining table from Air Division, the Shelf at the back is also from Air. Good quality, but price was steep. Still shopping for dining table chairs.

IMG_0735.jpg

Living Room Sofa:

Bought this from Grafunkt. Very comfortable to sit on, cushions all stuffed with down feather. But price was steep....

IMG_0731.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Living Room:

It's a small place. Looking through the shelf, you can see right through the balcony and out. The KDK ceiling fan is gd though. Strong enough for the living room.

IMG_0733.jpg

Hi W33, I'm not keen on false ceilings, and also prefer not to build too many wardrobes, so reno cost only ard $20k, furnishing another $20k. You looking for ID?

Floor to ceiling shoe cabinet. Personally, I don't have so many shoes. but wife loved it. The exterior looks gd in the living rm, so I'm ok as well.

IMG_0617.jpg

Some advice for Jadespringers, if you did not take the HDB tiles. The toilet tiles that HDB makes extends beyond the toilet door:

IMG_0437.jpg

As a result, if you do your flooring, either laminate or tiles in the bedroom and living rm, you end up having an ugly border right in front of the door.

184063_10150260683706025_658861024_7732564_1129397_n.jpg

I had to get the ID to cut the toilet tiles, so that I get a nice boundary right at the edge of the toilet door.

IMG_0479.jpg

Bathtub experience:

After looking through the quotations, I decided it was more cost effective to install a bath tub than to build a tempered glass shower screen. Bath tub was around $1000, including installation, while shower screen works out to $800.

Plus I have a 2yr old daughter, so wanted her to enjoy the luxury of a bath tub.

Installed cost effective shower curtains instead. Did not like those extendable shower rods, hence went to hardware store to purchase a metal rod, and got contractor to put up. SHower curtains from IKEA.

IMG_0607.jpg

Like to share a money-saving tip. My kitchen top was black granite. Instead of throwing the big piece that was cut out for the 2 bowl sink, I asked my ID to smoothen it, and bought a sturdy stool to make it into a small table. Now it can used either as a coffee table, or for my baby girl as writing table. The granite top is very sturdy, hard, heat-proof and scratch-proof.

IMG_0762.jpg

Granite smoothing = $80, IKEA stool = $69

For those choosing new HDB units, my advice is to ensure the layout does not have long corridors. Below is a photo of my corridor, connecting the living room to my 3 bedrooms and common toilet. I think it must have taken up at least 10 square metres out of my 92 sq metre unit!

IMG_0767.jpg

Lastly, my living rm, taken from the balcony.

IMG_0765.jpg

Like to share a money-saving tip. My kitchen top was black granite. Instead of throwing the big piece that was cut out for the 2 bowl sink, I asked my ID to smoothen it, and bought a sturdy stool to make it into a small table. Now it can used either as a coffee table, or for my baby girl as writing table. The granite top is very sturdy, hard, heat-proof and scratch-proof.

IMG_0762.jpg

Granite smoothing = $80, IKEA stool = $69

For those choosing new HDB units, my advice is to ensure the layout does not have long corridors. Below is a photo of my corridor, connecting the living room to my 3 bedrooms and common toilet. I think it must have taken up at least 10 square metres out of my 92 sq metre unit!

IMG_0767.jpg

Lastly, my living rm, taken from the balcony.

IMG_0765.jpg

Yo

Can I ask if the granite cut-out is "glued" to the IKEA stool? If yes, how do you get it done? By your contractor? I have a couple of pieces of Quartz Silestone cut-out from my kitchen top which after using 2 as the base for the speakers, I still have another larger piece. Thanks.

Hi,

my contractor says that he will be using industrial silicone glue. He's coming next Saturday to do this, and assist me to put up mirror and aircon remote holders. Currently, it's just placed on top of the stool, but because the granite piece is so heavy (abt 10kg I think), it sits very stabily. Added small pieces of felt on the stool's leg to facilitate pushing of the stool, otherwise it's **** heavy to carry!

IMG_0773.jpg

As for my "alpha Sunflower" ceiling fan, it's bought in JB, which is where I bought my dining table light as well. After conversion, it's around $400. Bought at:

Fancy Lighting Court Sdn Bhd

41/41A/39A Jalan Meranti Merah,

Melodies Garden

80250 Johor Bahru

Tel: 07-351 5087

Look for Ah Chong

The above was also recommended by another forummer in Renotalk. Anyways, I find that lights and ceiling fan prices are abt half in Malaysia. In Singapore, I was quoted $800 for the Alpha fan, and $400 for my dining lights.

IMG_0771.jpg

BTW, if anyone has ideas on how to make the balcony "green", pl share. I've read up on green walls, but not sure if I want to invest so much, alternative is small pots, hanging or standing, but anyway to do this nicely?

Bomb shelter ventilation plates are a pain when it comes to renovation. The round protrusions are ugly, and normally it cost a bomb to make a false wall to cover it. In the photo below, my ID was hacking at the wall beside, as I prefer a bigger kitchen entrance.

IMG_0444.jpg

My ID was kind enough to cover up the bomb shelter plate with plaster, although he mentioned that over the years, cracks will appear on the round edge... but so far so gd. This was FOC, so saved me some bucks as I don't need to make a false wall.

Another advice, check on hacked walled to make sure ID smoothens the edges and surface. My wife used her hands to feel the wall, and requested ID to make it smoother, and flat. So use all senses!

IMG_0585.jpg

Contractor came today to help me fix up the things. Fast and efficient. The stool was glued onto the granite top. Was told to let it stand over the weekend.

IMG_0777.jpg

As for my "alpha Sunflower" ceiling fan, it's bought in JB, which is where I bought my dining table light as well. After conversion, it's around $400. Bought at:

Fancy Lighting Court Sdn Bhd

41/41A/39A Jalan Meranti Merah,

Melodies Garden

80250 Johor Bahru

Tel: 07-351 5087

Look for Ah Chong

The above was also recommended by another forummer in Renotalk. Anyways, I find that lights and ceiling fan prices are abt half in Malaysia. In Singapore, I was quoted $800 for the Alpha fan, and $400 for my dining lights.

IMG_0771.jpg

The same Alpha Sunflower fan I've bought a year ago for S$ 588 (Bright House Lighting, TradeHub 21 @ Boon Lay Way). It was all together with installation.

Yeah, I've heard that in JB is everything 1/2 of price then in S'pore, but if you don't have a car (like me :( ) it's quite complicated to go there.....

BTW, if anyone has ideas on how to make the balcony "green", pl share. I've read up on green walls, but not sure if I want to invest so much, alternative is small pots, hanging or standing, but anyway to do this nicely?

What about some artificial turf (fake grass) and some pots with plants........?