Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
KittyJems

Tempered Glass Backsplash In Kitchen.

My contractor quoted me $25psf for tempered glass backsplash for the kitchen. Is this quote reasonable? How much is the usual price? Btw, I'm using contractor not ID. Appreciate all feedbacks and advise.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanks for all the advise.

Can check yah... How much is the usual quote now if $25psf is too ex? Think i should bargain down to $20 psf?

Also... Tempered glass comes in different mm? How much mm should I be getting if there is heavy cooking? :unsure:

Edited by KittyJems

Thanks for all the advise.

Can check yah... How much is the usual quote now if $25psf is too ex? Think i should bargain down to $20 psf?

Also... Tempered glass comes in different mm? How much mm should I be getting if there is heavy cooking? :unsure:

Dear KittyJems,

I am no expert in glass, but you should know the following when comparing:

- Normally, the glass provider would recommend a certain thickness based on the dimension of the glass required. A bigger piece of glass, the minimum thickness increases. This is more because of the glass production, stability in order to transport the glass to a place to install etc. Of course, you may ask for a thicker piece (than recommended) for some reasons.

- There are different types of glass; ordinary clear (but you would see a green shade, greener when the glass is thicker), low-iron (no or lesser green shade), tinted, crystal etc. All of different prices.

- If the glass is laminated, spray-painted etc

Hope these help.

Cheers!

Hi James,

Do you know the breakdown of how much your ID is charging per square foot? Maybe this way we can compare your quote against that one I got.

I just measured my kitchen wall yesterday and my measurements for 2 walls are:

Wall 1 : 123cm (L) x 57cm (H) = 7.55sqf

Wall 2 : 155cm (L) x 57cm (H) = 9.51sqf

Total of 17.06 sqf

My contractor came back with price of about $405 for both walls using 6mm tempered glass, spray painted white.

Is this ok? Expensive? Reasonable?

Edited by KittyJems

I just measured my kitchen wall yesterday and my measurements for 2 walls are:

Wall 1 : 123cm (L) x 57cm (H) = 7.55sqf

Wall 2 : 155cm (L) x 57cm (H) = 9.51sqf

Total of 17.06 sqf

My contractor came back with price of about $405 for both walls using 6mm tempered glass, spray painted white.

Is this ok? Expensive? Reasonable?

Resist a bit, and the contractor will reduce the quote price - hahah. You should try to hold and compare with other contractors. Most will quote around 300-400, depending on how the id/cotractor perceive, whether you're the type who can be "persuaded" easily or can easily "throw" money.

Please confirm beforehand the glass backsplash is in one single piece and not 2 or more smaller pieces!

Also, you should double-check first how you want the backsplash to be cut and fitted on your kitchen wall, especially critical is the cut-out holes for electrical sockets and switches. Many have cried foul over ugly or uneven electrical cutouts on the backsplash.

All the best,

Bluefly

Hi Bluefly,

Thanks for the advise. At first my contractor quoted me $500 for the backsplash. Then I bargained down to $405. Dun think he will lower any further cos mine is a small job reno - mainly kitchen only. :P

But I'll definately confirm and double confirm to make sure he gives me 1 big piece of glass for each wall and not small pieces.

Edited by KittyJems