Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
art60044

Air-Con Installation For Terrace House

Hi, I was quoted 12k by an aircon company recently to install aircon for living, dining and 5 bedrooms. Is this reasonable ? Sales agent claimed new piping needed since my house is 15 years old. It is a 2 storey terrace + attic.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Forgot to mention brand of aircon: Mitsubishi Starmex.

why not call a few company to get quotes rather than ask in a forum where folks here don't have any idea about the condition of your house and what needs to be replaced or difficulty in replacing.

On a separate note, I once asked my regular aircon serving guy what brand tends to fail a lot since he also does repairs. He told me to stick to Diakin and/or Mitsubishi Starmex to be safe. Hope this helps a bit.

If all aircons are inverter seems reasonable.

My place about 2 years back for a little less than 12k consists the following :

Living room 18k btu non inverter

Dining and kitchen 12k btu each non inverter

MBR 18k btu inverter

3 bedrooms 12k btu each inverter

study room 9k btu inverter

Total 8 fancoils, brand Sanyo

i imagine it would cost more for a house since the trunking would be longer. but by way of comparison, i paid $12k to replace my apartment's aircon + trunking.

living - 22k btu

dining - 22k btu

master - 22k btu

bed 1 - 12k btu

bed 2 - 12k btu

bed 3 - 12k btu

study - 9k btu

7 fancoils and 3 condensors - daikin inverter but the non-green ones (R22). R410 cooling capacity is less

I just installed Daikin inverter

Living Room 24k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

Dining 24k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

Bedrooms #1,2,3 12k BTU - 3fancoil 1condensor

Jr Masterbedroom 18k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

Attic Masterbedroom 24k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

House description : 2storey inter terrace house with attic

Grand Total - 7 fancoil & 5 condensors, includes all piping, trunking etc etc

Total Damage - $13650 (no GST...ask them to absorb)

* also installed the non-green ones. The green ones although environmentally friendly costs almost double and not every aircon service teams can service green ones. But everyone can service the non-green ones.

* the difference between Mitsubishi and Daikin only marginally difference so makes more sense to get Daikin (i always thought Mit should be like 20-30% cheaper but i was wrong). Anyway been using Daikin all our lives.

I just installed Daikin inverter

Living Room 24k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

Dining 24k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

Bedrooms #1,2,3 12k BTU - 3fancoil 1condensor

Jr Masterbedroom 18k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

Attic Masterbedroom 24k BTU - 1fancoil 1condensor

House description : 2storey inter terrace house with attic

Grand Total - 7 fancoil & 5 condensors, includes all piping, trunking etc etc

Total Damage - $13650 (no GST...ask them to absorb)

* also installed the non-green ones. The green ones although environmentally friendly costs almost double and not every aircon service teams can service green ones. But everyone can service the non-green ones.

* the difference between Mitsubishi and Daikin only marginally difference so makes more sense to get Daikin (i always thought Mit should be like 20-30% cheaper but i was wrong). Anyway been using Daikin all our lives.

Hi Pantieileen,

I am in the process of building my house with similar number of rooms like yours. Could you PM me your aircon contractor?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, PILLION said:

Hi. Any idea rough price for installation and purchase of aircon for terrace? 

depends on how many aircons you are planning to install. a rough guage would be the list price for HDB systems plus another 20% to 30%

What kinds of splits are better, multi splits or single splits? Prices are about the same. One aircon seller told me that single splits are better. I am concerning about the standby power. Anyone can share opinion? Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Jack L said:

What kinds of splits are better, multi splits or single splits? Prices are about the same. One aircon seller told me that single splits are better. I am concerning about the standby power. Anyone can share opinion? Thanks.

not better or worse. standby power is negligible. the only difference is the running power.

if you have multiple medium or small size rooms, the sensible thing is to install a multi split unit so the rooms can share a compressor. but if you have a large room, then a single split unit will be needed to effectively cool down the room since you need a unit with a bigger BTU unless you are ok to install multiple wall units in a single room.

for my house, i am using system 2 multi split units for bedrooms. my master bedroom is using single split unit. in terms of running cost, the single split unit is slightly higher than the system 2 unit as the power drawn is slightly higher.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:54 AM, snoozee said:

not better or worse. standby power is negligible. the only difference is the running power.

if you have multiple medium or small size rooms, the sensible thing is to install a multi split unit so the rooms can share a compressor. but if you have a large room, then a single split unit will be needed to effectively cool down the room since you need a unit with a bigger BTU unless you are ok to install multiple wall units in a single room.

for my house, i am using system 2 multi split units for bedrooms. my master bedroom is using single split unit. in terms of running cost, the single split unit is slightly higher than the system 2 unit as the power drawn is slightly higher.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Very helpful 👍