Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

An Audiophile's Mid Century Home

Bedroom: DSC_2981.jpg

Got some Van Gogh posters to make it look sleepier :)

My kitchen is an important area, so things need to be ready at hand: DSC_2986.jpg

DSC_2988.jpg

Ceiling: DSC_2996.jpg

Edited by petetherock

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Petetherock, nice settings you have for your hse! :good:

Wondering beside the special room treatment you have, did you use "special" door for your audio/movie room as well? mine sound-leak pretty badly and i recently conclude is due to the thin veneer door i use.. hence watever i play in the movie room can be hear clearly in the living room area which the door is facing, but not the two rooms beside it.. :dunno:

All my doors are solid wood, and I have checked with my neighbors on the same level, as well as those above and below, all my efforts at acoustic management have paid off. No sound transmission.

Within my own home, it gets loud, but I don't have an issue with that.

If anyone wants to know more about how to go about buying and doing a demo on their new Home Theatre setup, I have some advice here:

http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2010/03/buying-your-first-home-theatre-how-to.html

Some basic principles of TV buying:

- get the biggest and best you can afford - it will be there for at least 5 years and you don't want to get buyer's remorse a week later.

- lay your cables first - if you even remotely want a surround system, you should lay the cables first.

- plan ahead for a projector, subwoofer etc. OR your spouse will come after you for all those cables lying around!

- buy first if you are single! Then it's part of you, and she can't come in and 'change' you.

- if you have young kids, avoid floorstander speakers - there is a real danger of the kids pulling the speakers down and killing themselves, and the same thing for TVs - wall mount them

- if you have a small space - wall mount the TV - but do it at eye level when you are SEATED. Women will want that TV mounted at eye level when they are standing Up, as they are thinking it's a painting / poster and more aesthetic that way. You need to explain it to them.

- work with your spouse / partner. For domestic bliss, you must include her in your decisions. And explain to her why spending 100k on a sound system is a good idea. Basically give her a choice:

You don't gamble, whore, drink or stay out late. Instead this 100k is spent on a something that allows her to see where you are, share in it, use it too, and at least is worth something compare to a few games at MBS!

Another article on room treatment and curtains: http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2010/11/curtains-room-treatment.html

Here is one room treatment with a high Wife Acceptance Factor. You will need curtains, so why not make use of it too?

Note, it only absorbs higher frequencies, but helps to block light too and control the light in the space.

Study: DSC_2976.jpg

Balcony and blinds:

DSC_2991.jpg

DSC_2992.jpg

Hi Pete, may i know where you got the bamboo blinds and outdoor furniture from. Is the outdoor furniture weather proof? Look for something like this. :rolleyes:

Outdoor furniture is from Winter. Total should be less than $420. Seems ok in the rain, but the balcony is now drier with my blinds.

The blinds were sourced by my ID. Good attention to detail during installation. There is a plastic sheet on the outside. If you are in a condo, you need to check with your management about the color and if they allow these blinds.

Happy with mine.

My Eames Chair arrived today...

photo-20-2.jpg

My kitchen backlight poster ...

photo-21.jpg

Tomoko Bench Chair in the hallway...

IMG_3177.jpg

Furniture from Lush...you can ask them for the prices...

Outdoor furniture is from Winter. Total should be less than $420. Seems ok in the rain, but the balcony is now drier with my blinds.

The blinds were sourced by my ID. Good attention to detail during installation. There is a plastic sheet on the outside. If you are in a condo, you need to check with your management about the color and if they allow these blinds.

Happy with mine.

Thanks Pete. I'm in HDB...not sure if its ok to install outside my balcony. :unsure:

Just a little caveat on replica pieces.

Firstly, not all pieces are the same. Although you will find many sources for these mid-century furniture and currently they are all the rage right now, but the quality varies and even if you pay more, there is no assurance that it will be better.

Lush makes decent pieces, but you still need to check on them, and for the famous ones, such as the Eames Lounge Chair, you can check the specs and you do need to try before you buy as the fit and how it feels when you sit in it still varies.

Winter is fine for chairs, and Gnee Hong is ok too for chairs, but if you are going to get the more complex pieces, make sure you get someone more reliable.

I found that Picket and Rail makes poor pieces, has poor customer service and the prices are not that cheap either. So caveat emptor...