Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
JoT

Bugs On The Wall

I agreed wat u said but dettol not effective. I bought mould killers $7++. Repaint whole house with oil base sealer + Nippon odorless all in 1 easywash. Total painting less than $9XX.

agreed! i think it has got to do with the paint quality. I tried nippon oil based sealer + ici paint.. the booklice still came back!!

in the end, i tried nippon oderless all in 1.. it works!! so far never seen any booklice around anymore..

I learned my lesson, never saved on cheap paint... go for anti mould/fungus paint!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I also use nippon all in one paint, so far so good.

The Dettol with fragrance meant for mopping floor is quite effective.

I clean the surface of my walls like every quarter. Now is lice free.

I also use nippon all in one paint, so far so good.

The Dettol with fragrance meant for mopping floor is quite effective.

I clean the surface of my walls like every quarter. Now is lice free.

cannot use cheap paint cos to save cost. USE Nippon Oil base sealer 5170 + NIPPON ODORLESS all in 1 easywash. optional - everyday switch on dehumidifier for few hours.

now no bug.

I agreed wat u said but dettol not effective. I bought mould killers $7++. Repaint whole house with oil base sealer + Nippon odorless all in 1 easywash. Total painting less than $9XX.

[/quote

Hi Dean, What you paid for repainting the whole house is really cheap! Can pm me the painter's contact?

I also have mould problems. We bought a second hand apt (about 11 year old) last year. We moved in last July and only discovered the mould in December'11. The common bathroom is not well designed. There is no window for ventilation. The only ventilation is done by an exhaust fan in the false ceiling. So mould started to grow in the bathroom. However, we also started to see booklice along the hallway and also in the MBR. We still cannot figure out why the MBR is so humid (no apt next to it). But there was visible mould in MBR as well so we engaged a 'mould' disinfecting company to kill the mould. We spent $1200 on this! But it's useless as the booklice still appear. We then decided to repaint the common bathroom and MBR, and also install an additional exhaust fan in the common bathroom. We asked the contractor to use oil-bsaed sealant and I bought Nippon paint (anti mould ones with low sheen). So far, so good. But booklice can still be found along hallway walls as we have not repainted the whole apt yet as the reno work is still so new, we think we are spending too much if we repaint the apt again. The repainting of the MBR and common bathroom cost us $800!!! Therefore, I think you have a good deal!

Some questions:

1.why the painters told me that water need to be added to paint? I told them not to add water because I have nould problems in the MBR. I told them that I will supply as much paint as they need but just not to add water!!! Is it true that water needs to be added???

2. Is your Nippon paint (antimould) low sheen as well? I found that Nippon paints for anti mould are all low sheen. If I repaint the whole house later using the low sheen anti mould paint, I wonder if it will look awful? I know most of the time, matt paint is considered 'nicer' for walls. You have any pictures of your house using this low sheen paint??

Thank you very much and thanks to all at this forum for sharing.

Hi Dean, What you paid for repainting the whole house is really cheap! Can pm me the painter's contact?

I also have mould problems. We bought a second hand apt (about 11 year old) last year. We moved in last July and only discovered the mould in December'11. The common bathroom is not well designed. There is no window for ventilation. The only ventilation is done by an exhaust fan in the false ceiling. So mould started to grow in the bathroom. However, we also started to see booklice along the hallway and also in the MBR. We still cannot figure out why the MBR is so humid (no apt next to it). But there was visible mould in MBR as well so we engaged a 'mould' disinfecting company to kill the mould. We spent $1200 on this! But it's useless as the booklice still appear. We then decided to repaint the common bathroom and MBR, and also install an additional exhaust fan in the common bathroom. We asked the contractor to use oil-bsaed sealant and I bought Nippon paint (anti mould ones with low sheen). So far, so good. But booklice can still be found along hallway walls as we have not repainted the whole apt yet as the reno work is still so new, we think we are spending too much if we repaint the apt again. The repainting of the MBR and common bathroom cost us $800!!! Therefore, I think you have a good deal!

Some questions:

1.why the painters told me that water need to be added to paint? I told them not to add water because I have nould problems in the MBR. I told them that I will supply as much paint as they need but just not to add water!!! Is it true that water needs to be added???

2. Is your Nippon paint (antimould) low sheen as well? I found that Nippon paints for anti mould are all low sheen. If I repaint the whole house later using the low sheen anti mould paint, I wonder if it will look awful? I know most of the time, matt paint is considered 'nicer' for walls. You have any pictures of your house using this low sheen paint??

Thank you very much and thanks to all at this forum for sharing.

i guess i know who 'mould' disinfecting company who quoted u $1200. fyi $800 without much furniture. I think the disinfection is kinda B.U.L.L SH1t, wasted $ and no guarantee. That time I was very upset. Finally decided to repainted whole house before CNY 2012.

So I paid 3 sporean painter labor fee (salary) x 2day. I bought 15L Nippon Oil base sealer primer 5170 (for Ceiling, Wall, door frame, main door + 10L Nippon EasyWash White for Ceiling + 15L Nippon Odorless Sail White 1114 ($74.90x3) + 1L Aqua Water base Metal/wood paint (main door, + 3 door frame) + 3 turpentine, 1 thinner, some protection sheet (cover furniture, washing machine etc). Free delivery. Before The painters come to my house to repaint. I sandpaper & scrap away all existing paints from walls in both rooms (took me 1 week to finish). On the day of painting, The painters will bring their own brush, roller, tape, protection to cover floor when painting. You have to watch them paint and in case they forget to paint and u can remind them to do so. U need to prepare 2-3 pail for them to use. They don't bring tray. Their skill is not bad, quite okay due to cheap labor. Not for fussy people if u want them to repaint your house. He will go to your house and give u a quote and he will bring 2 painters. Total repaint whole house cost less than $900. Their skills are not bad.

$800 to paint MBR and common toilet so expensive. It is not enough, u have to repaint whole house so booklice will die. Telling you ALL PAINTING COMPANY don't used oil base sealer primer. Because most painters dislike oil base sealer primer smell. It is very very smelly, u will choke, even my next door weird neighbor cannot stand the smell as the smell goes to their house. Smell like a dead rat. They need at least 2 days to complete painting (1st day paint oil base sealer to all wall, all ceiling, door frame, toilet pipe, all doors, 2nd day actual painting). I was quoted $1500 using Nippon Paint without sealer by my friend's dishonest friend who want to earn commission and painters also want to earn. I LL to reject his offer and called my friend and scolded him upside down and delete his hp no.

I HATE DISHONEST PEOPLE. Singapore can't make it one so many dishonest shop and bad service in Singapore.

Your Questions:

1.why the painters told me that water need to be added to paint? I told them not to add water because I have mould problems in the MBR. I told them that I will supply as much paint as they need but just not to add water!!! Is it true that water needs to be added???

Not sure, but I heard from my father that usually painters added water or turpentine for easy painting. Previously I engaged painters they added some turpentine into Oil Base Sealers. They never added turpentine into Nippon Odorless EasyWash/Nippon EasyWash cos no need to add. I also will not allow them to add water/turpentine into Nippon Paint. But Oil base sealer need to add some turpentine.

I bought New Color Sail White Nippon Odorless EasyWash 1114 (Homefix selling $80, colorland selling $74.90) have low sheen. I think they have matt color.

Nippon low sheen are you refer to abit shinny type? It look nice even if it is low sheen. All my wall + ceiling can wash cos EASYWASH leh. haha.

Now bug free. I don't give them a ****. I also painted outside corridor near my corridor windows. haha.

It is so easy to diy but really very tired. Recently I installed inverted system 2 and aircon trunking so ugly so I DIY (paint myself), use green color Nippon sponge roller to paint aircon trunking, big white board (painted oil base sealer first). I removed picture from cherry color room door with paint remover. I painted door with bulls eye water based primers + going to paint Nippon Aqua water based white gloss paint + door frame to white.

my house especially mbr very humid and everyday I have to on 20L dehumidifier 3-4hrs to suck moisture. This dehumidifier very useful as it suck moisture into water. so my pub slightly increased. Also i abit kiasu, I go daiso buy 800ml/400mlx2 moisture absorbent to put each cabinet. I wonder why bukit batok flat so humid. Why my next door neighbor never open their window? I not sure their house got bug or not. I shower cold water. After shower I usually will clean the floor to dry to make sure it is not wet. I also using dry sheet to clean my floor, i seldom wet mop the floor. I using Delphine vacuum cleaner weekly but it is super noisy. I guess my neighbor can hear it. Wall so thin. Old resale flat = NO GOOD ONE.

I not sure my house too humid is it cos I staying low floor so I put insect mesh screen in common room 1 panel window, master bedroom 2panel window, kitchen 2pantel window so even if i open windows for well ventilation, flying insect won't fly into my house. Sealed rubbish chute (had to throw rubbish downstair). I hardly see cockroach. Haha. If i saw I spray them to dead. I very timid i scared cockroach. I dislike raining days cos my house will be very humid and damp so have to on 20L dehumidifier.

If u want the contact after reading above, I can pm you his hp no. U can call him and ask him to go to your place. They using my ladder and his 1 ladder too. Fyi Not for fussy people cos their rate is reasonable and cheap not expensive.

It's been 2 month since I painted whole house and so far so good, now bug/lice free.

Edited by dean

Hi Dean,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

I also bought Novita dehumidifier and have to turn it on everyday in my MBR. It fills up in about 6 hours so I turn it on before we go to work, empty the container at night and turn it on at night and so on and so forth....just to keep the humudity down and bugs out.

So the Nippon easy wash that you bought was anti-fungus or fungus resistant? I bought the fugus-resistant Nippon paint (can't remember which one but I know there is a butterfly on it : ). Only Medi-one is anti-fungus. Am thinking of using this Medi-fresh one for repainting the whole house (maybe next year).

I guess everywhere is humid. Kind of upset as I used to live in HDB flats and everything was fine. Of course, things turned mouldy like leather stuff but there was no booklice at all. But now, in condo and have all these issues. Sian too....And I'm still in the east so dont quite understand.

I can see that you put in a lot of hard work (sand papared the walls)!! Maybe that's why it's cheap? The workers just paint, don't need to sand paper down the oil paint : )

As for oil sealant, I didn't know it smells like dead rat!!!When I repainted the MBR and toiler, the sealant was pungent, the kind that gives you headache. We had to sleep on mattress in the study for more than a week for the smell to go away before moving back to our MBR.

Keep us updated of you Nippon painted apt. I hope the annoying booklice won't turn up at your place : )

Happy Easter!

Hi Dean,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

I also bought Novita dehumidifier and have to turn it on everyday in my MBR. It fills up in about 6 hours so I turn it on before we go to work, empty the container at night and turn it on at night and so on and so forth....just to keep the humudity down and bugs out.

So the Nippon easy wash that you bought was anti-fungus or fungus resistant? I bought the fugus-resistant Nippon paint (can't remember which one but I know there is a butterfly on it : ). Only Medi-one is anti-fungus. Am thinking of using this Medi-fresh one for repainting the whole house (maybe next year).

I guess everywhere is humid. Kind of upset as I used to live in HDB flats and everything was fine. Of course, things turned mouldy like leather stuff but there was no booklice at all. But now, in condo and have all these issues. Sian too....And I'm still in the east so dont quite understand.

I can see that you put in a lot of hard work (sand papared the walls)!! Maybe that's why it's cheap? The workers just paint, don't need to sand paper down the oil paint : )

As for oil sealant, I didn't know it smells like dead rat!!!When I repainted the MBR and toiler, the sealant was pungent, the kind that gives you headache. We had to sleep on mattress in the study for more than a week for the smell to go away before moving back to our MBR.

Keep us updated of you Nippon painted apt. I hope the annoying booklice won't turn up at your place : )

Happy Easter!

All Painting company don't sandpaper the wall. Previously in 6/2010 never painted with oil base sealer.

In 2/2012, I bought aqua bodelac, Oil base sealant primer vinilex 5170 wall sealer and Odor~less EasyWash for wall and EasyWash with Teflon for ceiling. Total purchase exclude painter labor fee is $430sgd. The painters labor is cheap.

The colorland shop staff told me 3-in-1 medifresh, Odor~less EasyWash, odour-less premium all-in-1 are mould resistance/anti-fungus/fungus resistant. But Odor~less EasyWash is most expensive and 3-in-1 medifresh is cheapest.

As i said earlier, so far so good, no more booklice, no more mould issue problem. I have to turn on dehumidifier and move them from room to room for few hours. How much is your pub bill? which model u bought? I thinking to get delonghi as mine current dehumidifier is hong kong brand, it serve me well. I stay hdb at west. you on dehumidifier for 24hrs?

if next yr u need painter contact, just pm me if u not fussy cos u need to do cleaning. got other painter charge $120-130/day. U need at least 2-3 painters.

Touchwood!!! No more bug and it is so fun to diy. Painting yourself. I painting aircon trunking myself. save cost. next yr i will ask contractor to do all ceiling/wall plastering.

Edited by dean

Would calling an exterminator be the best route to take or is there any over the counter bug sprays that can be used to get rid of them?

Get rid of the mold and the bugs that feed on them will go.

i guess i know who 'mould' disinfecting company who quoted u $1200. fyi $800 without much furniture. I think the disinfection is kinda B.U.L.L SH1t, wasted $ and no guarantee. That time I was very upset. Finally decided to repainted whole house before CNY 2012.

Is it the same one that advertised their services quite aggresively in this forum?

Is it the same one that advertised their services quite aggresively in this forum?

u google and can find the answer. good thing my house no more bugs. good nippon oil base sealer and nippon odor~less easywash paint and dehumidifier quite useful.

Update this thread. I also had problems with booklice. These suckers invaded my bay windows and display cabinets. I believe it was due to the screeding not being completely dry when the contractor installed my laminate flooring. When I discovered them, I went kamikaze on them and hired pest control to nuke my entire house. However, a few still remain after that. I bought Bio-X Lullaby from Home Fix and sprayed into the gaps in the laminate flooring. When I returned a week later these bugs seem to have 'burst' out of their hiding place and a lot of them died where I sprayed the insecticide.

I decided not to leave things to chance, and got myself a dehumidifier. I installed a pvc pipe and had it continuously drain and dehumidify the room. In addition, I bought sealer and sealed all gaps along the skirting, and the gaps in the cabinets too. So far, no more infestation in the room with the humidifier.

In the other room without dehumidifier, the problem persist. I had already sealed all gaps along the skirting that I could see, and yet these suckers still continue bursting out from I dunno where. I checked the walls and ceilings but dun see them at all. However, they seem to be trying to escape from the bedroom because a lot died just outside the door, where I sprayed a generous amount of insecticide.

This was what I found along the skirting when I checked out the bedroom last weekend. I swore never to add sesame seeds to my japanese rice ever again.

20120922_101452_zps9da45f9a.jpg

Going to buy another dehumidifier to blast this room.

Update this thread. I also had problems with booklice. These suckers invaded my bay windows and display cabinets. I believe it was due to the screeding not being completely dry when the contractor installed my laminate flooring. When I discovered them, I went kamikaze on them and hired pest control to nuke my entire house. However, a few still remain after that. I bought Bio-X Lullaby from Home Fix and sprayed into the gaps in the laminate flooring. When I returned a week later these bugs seem to have 'burst' out of their hiding place and a lot of them died where I sprayed the insecticide.

I decided not to leave things to chance, and got myself a dehumidifier. I installed a pvc pipe and had it continuously drain and dehumidify the room. In addition, I bought sealer and sealed all gaps along the skirting, and the gaps in the cabinets too. So far, no more infestation in the room with the humidifier.

In the other room without dehumidifier, the problem persist. I had already sealed all gaps along the skirting that I could see, and yet these suckers still continue bursting out from I dunno where. I checked the walls and ceilings but dun see them at all. However, they seem to be trying to escape from the bedroom because a lot died just outside the door, where I sprayed a generous amount of insecticide.

This was what I found along the skirting when I checked out the bedroom last weekend. I swore never to add sesame seeds to my japanese rice ever again.

20120922_101452_zps9da45f9a.jpg

Going to buy another dehumidifier to blast this room.

You turn on dehumidifier for how many hrs in a day? How much your electricity bill?

Hello, according to your question, some advice for you.

You first make sure is what insect insecticide, insecticidal buy back.And to ensure that home ventilation.This can be

Last time got 1 ppl post at other forums said living below tree level (below 6 floor) better closed all windows wont easily get bug. Is it true that windows must closed if u stay below 6 floor. I curious why nxt door neighbor kitchen window never open, all windows never open.

Lesson learnt must use good paint, well ventilation.

Edited by dean