Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Erwinong

Such A Pain To Shop For Led Down Lights?!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I just bought my LED lights over the weekend from JB and the Philips 4" LED round downlight only cost me RM32 each.

Edited by ingenue26

RM32 for 4" downlight is almost the same as yafen.sg. Do you know if JB gives any further discount if I buy 34 units? Is the JB warranty valid in Singapore?

RM32 for 4" downlight is almost the same as yafen.sg. Do you know if JB gives any further discount if I buy 34 units? Is the JB warranty valid in Singapore?

Same prices as the normal LED lights that lighting shops here sell but I bought those from the brand - Philips and from the authorised distributor of Philips in JB so warranty is definitely valid but also depends on whether you can be bothered to bring it back. I just bought extras in case and had the gals tested out those that I purchased one by one so make sure that they are working. Philips LED downlights no further discount but if you buy other types of light from Philips or other brands, there will be further discount. If I recall correctly, if I bought them here, each one would cost me about $50 - $60.

Edited by ingenue26

Is Philips in Malaysia the same as Philips in Singapore? I bought a 16" KDK stand fan from AEON Big in Malaysia and it was less than 1/2 the price of a 16" KDK stand fan in Singapore but it looked different and the motor was not as fast. The finishing of the Singapore KDK stand fan is definitely much more refined. It seems strange considering that KDK fans in Singapore are assembled in Malaysia. It is the same for milk powder. Same brand and type of milk powder in JB tastes different from those bought in Singapore.

Is Philips in Malaysia the same as Philips in Singapore? I bought a 16" KDK stand fan from AEON Big in Malaysia and it was less than 1/2 the price of a 16" KDK stand fan in Singapore but it looked different and the motor was not as fast. The finishing of the Singapore KDK stand fan is definitely much more refined. It seems strange considering that KDK fans in Singapore are assembled in Malaysia. It is the same for milk powder. Same brand and type of milk powder in JB tastes different from those bought in Singapore.

I looked at the box and the lights are made in china. I also ordered some from taobao. Will compare and see if there's any difference when those from taobao arrives.

Actually I also bought 2 KDK ceiling fans from JB but have not installed so can't comment yet but you are right, it is a lot cheaper esp with current exchange rate. How do you know that the motor is not as fast? You compared them side by side?

yafen.sg website is not updated. Her shop at Defu lane has a much larger selection of lights. Prices are much lower compared to other shops. Quality based on finishing and brightness is good but don't know about reliability since I have not bought yet. Just went in to look see look see but did not buy since my renovation has not started. Shop owner is a PRC woman.

can share some price examples pls? thank you

I would recommend getting from House of Chandelier. As mentioned earlier, I'm a victim of buying cheap downlights and end up replacing them months later. As the Chinese like to say 便宜没好货, meaning anything cheap usually means lousy quality.

So far, I'm very happy with the downlights I got from House of Chandelier. I got more than 50 downlights from House of Chandelier to replace all my downlights, and that was more than a year ago. So far all are still going strong. Unlike my previous one which I got from one of the shop at Geylang. One by one started flickering after I moved in. Within a short 3 months. More than 10 pieces are either flickering or can't on. That's what triggered me to replace all my downlights. -.-!

Hi Mr. Farmer, can't really remember the price as it's been more than a year. I have their contact if you need can PM me (don't think I can share contact here) . Or you can google House of Chandelier to get to their website.