Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beluga

5A At Cck

Hi everyone,

Just like all the aspiring new home owners here, we am excited with our upcoming apartment. This will be the 3rd unit we bought so far. Our first unit was a mere 54sqm in Bukit Ho Swee in 1999. We then moved to a 109sqm 4A apartment in CCK in 2004 when our 2nd child was born. The next apartment we are getting will be a 134sqm 5A. We have yet to go for the first appointment and the scheduled completion should be around end feb 2012.

Below is the original floor plan

Blk613_FloorPlan_original.jpg

Below is the current state of the floor plan

Blk613_FloorPlan_currentstate.jpg

Below is the proposed floor plan

Blk613_FloorPlan_propose.jpg

Couple of issues not fixed with the proposed floor plan

1) Not sure where to put the make up table.

2) Not sure whether to put ceiling fan on all the rooms or just that master room.

3) Not sure if the moving of the main door from facing west to facing south is approvable by HDB.

4) General placement of the furnitures as we are still waiting for Feng Shui master to visit our place.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Does anyone know if ceiling fans bought from Malaysia is allowed in Singapore?

Thinking of getting a couple of KDK or Panasonic fans. So far aiming at

1) Panasonic F-M14E8 (should be around 400 RM)

2) KDK Sensa 4 (should be 500 RM)

welcome to tblog beluga. nice big place you have gotten. :) there are other members who have brought in fans and lights from msia so shouldnt be a problem. yamseng.gif

Thanks Sleek....

Yea, after digging further, I found Lubber_Duckie's post.... Will certainly post more when there is progress....

So far, talked to a few IDs. A few commented that

1) If I want to create a door on the study room and move to right a little more will destroy the marble flooring as they cannot hack the marble neatly.

2) If I want to add nyatoh door frame, it will also affect the marble flooring as they cannot hack the marble neatly.

Couple of issues not fixed with the proposed floor plan

2) Not sure whether to put ceiling fan on all the rooms or just that master room.

3) Not sure if the moving of the main door from facing west to facing south is approvable by HDB.

Regarding Point 2, I'd say that if your budget permits, you really should put a ceiling fan in all your rooms. It frees up floor place (which is important as you are going to have a lot of people, and consequently, a lot of furniture, in your home) and it keeps fan blades out of the way of naughty little fingers (unless, that is, your kids are already 2m tall...). Also, ceiling fans provide better overall ventilation (in my opinion anyway) than standing floor fans or wall-mounted fans.

Regarding Point 3, I'm not so sure that they'd allow something like this. They're rather anal about the position of front doors, and I remember reading in a much older RT t-blog that another Renotalker also tried to alter the position of his main door (because of feng shui reasons) and HDB turned down his request. I can't recall how he resolved the matter... or indeed whether he ever did in the end... :unsure:

1) If I want to create a door on the study room and move to right a little more will destroy the marble flooring as they cannot hack the marble neatly.

2) If I want to add nyatoh door frame, it will also affect the marble flooring as they cannot hack the marble neatly.

That's terrible!

But are you going to keep all of your marble flooring? According to your floorplan above, your bedrooms will have parquet flooring. So, would it even matter then they'd have to hack away the marble to install a door to the study?

That's terrible!

But are you going to keep all of your marble flooring? According to your floorplan above, your bedrooms will have parquet flooring. So, would it even matter then they'd have to hack away the marble to install a door to the study?

I guess it's because corridor outside the room is still the existing block marble, they want to play safe by telling me beforehand first. Still I don't really understand, like what you said, since they broken marbles in the room will be hacked anyway, they will still have to cut it nicely. Will have to check out with them again.

Regarding Point 2, I'd say that if your budget permits, you really should put a ceiling fan in all your rooms. It frees up floor place (which is important as you are going to have a lot of people, and consequently, a lot of furniture, in your home) and it keeps fan blades out of the way of naughty little fingers (unless, that is, your kids are already 2m tall...). Also, ceiling fans provide better overall ventilation (in my opinion anyway) than standing floor fans or wall-mounted fans.

Regarding Point 3, I'm not so sure that they'd allow something like this. They're rather anal about the position of front doors, and I remember reading in a much older RT t-blog that another Renotalker also tried to alter the position of his main door (because of feng shui reasons) and HDB turned down his request. I can't recall how he resolved the matter... or indeed whether he ever did in the end... :unsure:

Thanks for the comment on Point 2. Yea, I'm leaning towards that idea, now that I know what I can get cheaper fans from MY. Still, I was told that each fan point will cost 100 for installation is a turn off.

As for point 3, it's not really a need but I just thought it would be nice to do so. At least no more slippers outside the house. So far, I've not seen anyone doing it, so I guess it's most likely not allowed.

Thanks for the comment on Point 2. Yea, I'm leaning towards that idea, now that I know what I can get cheaper fans from MY. Still, I was told that each fan point will cost 100 for installation is a turn off.

Hmmm... $100 per fan point is a little bit pricey. My electrician is charging me $85 per point ($50 to run the electrical point on the ceiling and $35 to install the actual fan). But he's also giving me a further 10% discount on my entire bill, so overall it's less than $85 per point really.

Hmmm... $100 per fan point is a little bit pricey. My electrician is charging me $85 per point ($50 to run the electrical point on the ceiling and $35 to install the actual fan). But he's also giving me a further 10% discount on my entire bill, so overall it's less than $85 per point really.

Thanks for the indication.... $100 was a quote given by my colleague, not the renovator...

ah why like that? i dont have broken marble but marble flooring and for my case, after hacking whatever other tiles or walls needed, they just buy back similar marble tiles to replace those they broke or not enough of.

if you like it to be breezy and ventilated, have fans in all necessary rooms. i even have fans in my kitchen at the dining table and my wiw, notti.gif $100 per installation for each fan is pricey, is that in SGD or msia $. You might want to consider getting the fans in sg from everjoint, i can pm you the prices if you want as they are prolly the cheapest locally. for me, i feel safer cos i will have the local warranty and the installation was done by my reno guy own electricians but everjoint charges around $70 each fan (cant remember exactly). :)

Edited by sleek

ah why like that? i dont have broken marble but marble flooring and for my case, after hacking whatever other tiles or walls needed, they just buy back similar marble tiles to replace those they broke or not enough of.

if you like it to be breezy and ventilated, have fans in all necessary rooms. i even have fans in my kitchen at the dining table and my wiw, notti.gif $100 per installation for each fan is pricey, is that in SGD or msia $. You might want to consider getting the fans in sg from everjoint, i can pm you the prices if you want as they are prolly the cheapest locally. for me, i feel safer cos i will have the local warranty and the installation was done by my reno guy own electricians but everjoint charges around $70 each fan (cant remember exactly). :)

Thanks sis....

For the marble issue, so far still too early to tell as they have not gone to the place to survey the site. I guess it will never be until I have signed up with one of them.

Do PM me the prices.... Will definitely check out with Everjoint if the price is close. SGD100 is just an indicative price from my colleague when he renovated his home recently.

Edited by beluga

Been busy looking for IDs. Here are the ones I've contacted

Darwin (Edwin Neo) - Highly recommended by our new neighbour who happen to know my mum. Visited their showroom at Bendemeer. Impressive showroom. Was able to quote on the spot. Looks very experience guy but don't like their pricing structure. They have a basic 5 room package of 20,488 and add on any extra stuff that I need. Most important point is, there is GST which they could not absorb.

Renozone (Colin) - Recommended by my colleague who engaged them to do their new BTO unit. Went to see their workmanship and find it to be good enough. Sat down and talked to him in detail what we wanted and came back with the quotation. Indeed, the pricing is attractive. We then added some additional item and asked him to modify the quotation. Over 2 weeks now, never got back to us. Called him to ask, he just apologize and say will do but till now no reply. Haiz... Disappointed.Some updates. After calling him again, he said that he did send. I guess it must be some admin error. Anyway, I received the latest quotation update.

Emailed to 4 other IDs, ID Note, Inside Living, D'trenzo, Wawe, Ideal House

ID Note - No reply

Inside Living - Super star Jessie was too busy, handed over to a lady call June. Schedule to meet up this thursday. Read from a blog here, she is still inexperience. We shall see.

D'trenzo - Russell Chen (aka Cyrus?) took up our enquiry. Came back with a quotation a week later. Couldn't find any of his credential here, so no idea. However, we went down to their shop at Upper Thomson. Gave a good quotation, overall quite impressed except, a little uneasy as to why he has multiple names. Anyone any experience with this ID?

Wawe - Wee Kuang replied. Received quotation but have yet to meet up. Price looks OK too.

Ideal House - Sean replied. Received quotation and looks to be the cheapest of them all. Have yet to meet up.

At this point of time, we are kinda leaning towards D'trenzo. Their quotation is so far the most complete and within our budget. Anyone with feedback on this ID please tell me. Kam siah!

Edited by beluga

Did some shopping on ceiling fans in Malaysia.

Panasonic Fan (F-M14E8) - RM 393 (At my hometown, Kluang)

KDK Sensa 4 - RM 520 - Electronik Kek Seng (Taman Perling, JB)

KDK Sensa 5 - RM 630 - Electronik Kek Seng (Taman Perling, JB)

OK, called up YES Electrical as recommended by many bloggers here.... Indeed much cheaper!

KDK Sensa 4 - RM470

KDK Sensa 5 - RM555

Looks like I'm set to hoot these fans!

Edited by beluga