Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
renman2735

Opinions On Digital/ Biometric Locks?

Good day all

I'm wondering if anyone has experiences regarding digital or biometric locks for the main door of the house.

My considerations/ concerns are:

1. Quick access - rather than fiddling with keys, it would be a lot faster

2. It would only work for the door, but not the outer grill, right? That means I'd still need to rely on the key for the outer grill

3. How safe is it? Say if there is a power outage, does the door open automatically letting anyone in?

4. Is it reliable? Has anyone encountered when their combination code or biometric scan didn't work?

5. What are the good brands to look for and the rough cost?

At this stage I really like fingerprint scan or card swipe as I believe it would be the fastest entry. However fears of someone cutting off my thumb to use prompts me to consider numeric keypad more seriously.

Any advice appreciated!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Good day all

I'm wondering if anyone has experiences regarding digital or biometric locks for the main door of the house.

2. It would only work for the door, but not the outer grill, right? That means I'd still need to rely on the key for the outer grill

3. How safe is it? Say if there is a power outage, does the door open automatically letting anyone in?

4. Is it reliable? Has anyone encountered when their combination code or biometric scan didn't work?

At this stage I really like fingerprint scan or card swipe as I believe it would be the fastest entry. However fears of someone cutting off my thumb to use prompts me to consider numeric keypad more seriously.

Any advice appreciated!

I have been using a digital lock for my main door for about 5 years now. It is very quick to enter the house because I used a small round plastic chip instead of a key. To be more precise, the model that I used comes with a miniature size credit card key and 3 round plastic chips. Alternatively, it gives you the option to key in the code using the numeric keypad so you do not even need to bring along the chip. In fact, my wife always prefers the key pad whereas I always use the chip. I don't bother to lock the outer metal gate since it defeats the whole purpose of having a digital lock. I don't use a biometric lock because they can be unreliable and you get locked out of the house as it had happened to my friend a couple of times.

Mine is powered by an ordinary 9V battery that is commonly found in all hardware shops so it will not be affected by power outage, failure or blackout etc. You only need to change the battery once in 3 years. I cannot make any brand recommendations as mine set was brought into Singapore from Korea by my friend and he charged me $350 for it. Using keys and padlocks is way outdated and most new condominiums have already made the switch over to digital/biometric locks. The benefits of using them is that even the locksmith will not be able to pick a digital lock. One of my friends who had a writ of seizure served on him was able to prevent the court bailiff from enforcing the writ when he simply refused to open his door and the locksmith couldn't pick the lock :P

I also had install one.those normal one wif small card/key in PIN to access.

& i wud say its more of a convenience than of security purposes. :D

it look elegant(to me) ;) & i like the hi-tech appearance :sport-smiley-018:

As what u have mention abt your worries,(fingerprint scan),i have heard stories about thief/robbers chopping of fingers to gain access,thats why i opt for the normal type.

& it turn out great,till now no regret :P

Good day all

haha not to worry about the above. we actually did a group buy and we are loving it. experieces with yale and samsung are both good. i am personally using a yale one.

i din put a lock on the outer grill but i might consider using a small number lock if you want to feel alittle more secure. =)

no power is fine. just plug in a 9v batt outside and you can use it to enter your pin/thumbprint again , alternatively you have a master key which can override low batt. so i guess hide one 9v batt somewhere! or put with ur neighbours haha

so far so good the code and thumbprint. you can save up to 12 i think.. so even if you have some paper cut you still have many options!

cost really vary.. u walk in to retail shop is about 1200 for yale biometric.. group buy price might be 20-30% cheaper :)

Any advice appreciated!