Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
euphony

Minimalism

I hope everyone's had a great celebratory 1st day of 2012. The courtyard have been on my mind a lot over the past week. Because the wall is already in contrasting yellowish orange hue I think I might continue with the contrast theme though I might be venturing into something a bit more controversial. Gloss black that is, so that when I put white furniture in the area, it will literally jump into the visual field. Below are 2 examples of it.

house260.jpg

This is the original state:

house5.jpg

house7.jpg

Edited by euphony

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

chanced upon your tblog while revisiting renotalk forum after quite a hiatus

really like the way you handle your reno - slow and steady, only doing what you really want and what you really like.

the location is definitely unique and really give the peeps here a fresh take on reno since i'm assuming many are hdb dwellers like me.

having said that, imho, just wanna comment that you gotta make sure the prolonged reno has focus and stays to the theme.

somewhat, i feel from months to months we may feel different bout how the minimalism look as in clean sharp straight look vs rich curvy infinity look.

i'm guilty of that, so just want to share with you.

i must say the choice of yellow orange is really daring! good for you!

chanced upon your tblog while revisiting renotalk forum after quite a hiatus

really like the way you handle your reno - slow and steady, only doing what you really want and what you really like.

the location is definitely unique and really give the peeps here a fresh take on reno since i'm assuming many are hdb dwellers like me.

having said that, imho, just wanna comment that you gotta make sure the prolonged reno has focus and stays to the theme.

somewhat, i feel from months to months we may feel different bout how the minimalism look as in clean sharp straight look vs rich curvy infinity look.

i'm guilty of that, so just want to share with you.

i must say the choice of yellow orange is really daring! good for you!

Hi Ne0, thanks for your comments! i really appreciate you point about keeping the theme. This is something i'll constantly bear in mind in the future to come.

Actually, the choice of that yellow orange is the house in its original state, I actually don't quite like it (although I am into the contrast wall thingy) and am planning to paint gloss black over it. Hope that works out as I visualized in my mind.

Earlier i mentioned about thinking about (haha) painting the wall gloss black. I will eventually try it out and show the final form here. But more importantly the courtyard currently also doubles up as an airwell that opens up into the sky.

Whilst that is very nature meets resort living, I'll like to reclaim that area by covering it up with a glass top, still letting in the lights but also means I can make use of the space as well as keeping the rain out. More importantly, it should also serve as a sound insulation because I share the airwell with the neighbor and I can hear the insects crawling on their floors (an exaggeration) because the airwell tends to amplify sound.

house253.jpg

house261.jpg

house262.jpg

I guess the hard part now is to get a reliable contractor to do the job up to my specifications. That should create plenty of fodder to blog about in time to come.

I want to thank everyone of you who have been following my project (readers/commenters/PMers). I want to try to make it worth your while too even if it means a temporary respite in a long work day!

Continuing from the previous post. I hope to drap nice lamps from the glass ceiling and contrasting the gloss black wall. Something like this:

house271.jpg

I should also be hunting for lights too in addition to the painting as well as the roof installation. Everyday i stare at the courtyard trying to visualize the various permutations and what it may eventually look like. And I can't wait for it to come to fruition! Then again when the whole project finally ends, it may create a 'void' here which I have been filling up religiously for some time now. I am so not looking forward to that. What irony!

Hi Ne0, thanks for your comments! i really appreciate you point about keeping the theme. This is something i'll constantly bear in mind in the future to come.

Actually, the choice of that yellow orange is the house in its original state, I actually don't quite like it (although I am into the contrast wall thingy) and am planning to paint gloss black over it. Hope that works out as I visualized in my mind.

ooo i misunderstood. i thought you was going to introduce some gloss black with the yellow in the background.

am glad the yellow will go cause is either make it or break it but likely the latter. haha

my house is grey, white mainly dressed in stainless steel and gloss laminates.

another primary color can add contrast to the house and we're strictly on just 1 more color, nothing more, so there's this constant reminder with our purchases.

in case if you need chair can go to http://www.comfortfurniture.com.sg/ i bought my dining chairs there.

try lush lush (furnitures are from down under) as well and ghee hong furnitures

but correct me anyone here, the above 3 are all doing replicas right.

Thanks both of you! I am aware of 3 shops. In fact they have been recommended to me before which goes to show they're not bad at all.

yes Ne0, they're doing replicas from what i know. salormoon: i am intending to get lounge chairs, sofas etc so much to do still! am currently, looking at some nice original designs currently.

ooo i misunderstood. i thought you was going to introduce some gloss black with the yellow in the background.

am glad the yellow will go cause is either make it or break it but likely the latter. haha

my house is grey, white mainly dressed in stainless steel and gloss laminates.

another primary color can add contrast to the house and we're strictly on just 1 more color, nothing more, so there's this constant reminder with our purchases.

i agree with you Ne0! that one's gotta go. i had a neighbor who painted it gray and it looked so much better. i understand what you mean your color combo melts together very nicely. btw, quirky tissue box you have! a conversation starter if anything haha.

1 more thing I wanne do to the courtyard. Remove the stones and 'Woodify' the floor.

house272.jpg

Here is where I hope to have some opinions, dear readers. Imagine gloss black on both walls of the courtyard (original below). What color wood tone flooring would go well with the walls? Should I go real woodcuts or laminate??? I may later add in a minimalist sofa set which would take on a white color scheme so that they really 'popout' of the courtyard space when it is seen as one enters the living area.

house5.jpg

Real wood!!! I always find it a pity that a place given much thought to end up with laminates. I shudder to think that many resale flats-to-be would have laminate floors should I want to move next time. I would definitely tear away laminate flooring if it ever happen. I haven't witnessed the popping-up of laminates, but I don't fancy the feeling of laminates. It has a plasticky feeling to me. I prefer a sturdier feel when I step on floors.

Real wood!!! I always find it a pity that a place given much thought to end up with laminates. I shudder to think that many resale flats-to-be would have laminate floors should I want to move next time. I would definitely tear away laminate flooring if it ever happen. I haven't witnessed the popping-up of laminates, but I don't fancy the feeling of laminates. It has a plasticky feeling to me. I prefer a sturdier feel when I step on floors.

thanks rain. hmmm right wood it is. i did a bit of reading on the interweb and some stories are pretty scary.

hmm, I really like to complete the courtyard remodeling project with the 2nd level conversion to a glass balcony (below)

house273.jpg

The original state

house7.jpg

Taken together the remodeling project will likely cost me a fortune. One which I suspect would be peanuts to Grace Fu despite her impending pay-cut.

Just as I am about to embark on the courtyard remodeling. I decided to insect proof my place first. Having lived in high-rises in SG, I've never had any problems with insects but living very close to the ground for the first time without the protection of winner does present challenges. I almost never dare to open the windows and doors day and night fearing the little buggers (literally!) will invade my home. Well I don't mind that really if they pay their fair share of my mortgage!

The boss will come in an hour's time for an evaluation and a quote and various design samples. They specialize in all kinds of magnetic nettings that seal the doors and windows. Seeing this as more urgent, I will go ahead with it prior to the courtyard remodeling. Hopefully get some fresh air circulating the house afterwards. One that I paid good money for.

Well pictures below are unrelated but I take the opportunity to showcase something I chanced upon recently. I like how spatial and simple it is.

house263.jpg

house264.jpg

house265.jpg

And so the netting guy came along. I got to know about the essential stuff and decided to engage him. Unfortunately, the fastest he can do it is well after CNY. I guess I still have got to endure the classes of insectology for a bit. In the meantime, I am starting to look for lounge chairs, sofas, couches. Right now I only have the dining table and the dining chairs. Which is fine except that a more comfortable sitting would be REALLY nice. I guess I should be featuring them here in the next few days until I have more info & pictures both of the courtyard and netting to blog about.

house12.jpg

house15.jpg

house19.jpg

house24.jpg

house59.jpg