Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hapless101

Options For Sealing Up Maisonette Service Balcony

Hi all,

I've just gotten myself a maisonette recently and am thinking how to seal up the service balcony (the big lobang on the 2nd floor).

Some options I've seen and their pros and cons:

1. Shutter

Pros: can open and close easily

Cons: When closed will block out all the light

2. Windows

Pros: Can let light through all the time

Cons: Very hard to open and close as it is very high up. Most ppl just leave it as it is

I also heard when we closed the shutter or window and with the aircon compressor inside the service balcony, it can get very hot when the compressor is on. Is that true?

Any one also know the costs of the shutter? I heard that there are transparent shutters out there also. Any one encountered?

Any comments is appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Edited by hapless101

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi all,

I've just gotten myself a maisonette recently and am thinking how to seal up the service balcony (the big lobang on the 2nd floor).

Some options I've seen and their pros and cons:

1. Shutter

Pros: can open and close easily

Cons: When closed will block out all the light

2. Windows

Pros: Can let light through all the time

Cons: Very hard to open and close as it is very high up. Most ppl just leave it as it is

I also heard when we closed the shutter or window and with the aircon compressor inside the service balcony, it can get very hot when the compressor is on. Is that true?

Any one also know the costs of the shutter? I heard that there are transparent shutters out there also. Any one encountered?

Any comments is appreciated!

Thanks! :)

hello hapless101, my EM is still goin thru with its reno, i have the same issue like yours too, quotation from my contractor incl sealing up the opening with top swing casement windows, the initial cost was $1250, but the approval from HDB requires the change of window's material to laminated glass - which blows the cost to almost $2k. so i asked the contractor to resubmit the application to do fix panel for top half of the opening, and window up the bottom half, hopefully to cut the cost alittle. yes, it will be almost impossible to operate the windows after its installation, so you may just wanna keep the windows opened to an optimal angle and just leave 'em. this is the best solutions i got from other EM'ers so far. hope this helps.

kind regards,

stanley

hello hapless101, my EM is still goin thru with its reno, i have the same issue like yours too, quotation from my contractor incl sealing up the opening with top swing casement windows, the initial cost was $1250, but the approval from HDB requires the change of window's material to laminated glass - which blows the cost to almost $2k. so i asked the contractor to resubmit the application to do fix panel for top half of the opening, and window up the bottom half, hopefully to cut the cost alittle. yes, it will be almost impossible to operate the windows after its installation, so you may just wanna keep the windows opened to an optimal angle and just leave 'em. this is the best solutions i got from other EM'ers so far. hope this helps.

kind regards,

stanley

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for your reply. I heard the price of the automated shutter is almost 2K also but still need to check it out.

Thanks for replying again!

for your information, there is a kind of shutter where if it is 80% close, there will be perforated holes which allows for ventilation.

this is useful when you want ventilation and dont want the rain to splash in, of course a little rain will seep through.

when the shutter is 100% close, wind also can come in anymore let alone rain.

hope the information helps.

Hi

Do you guys have pictures ofbyour completed balcony?

I am planning to extend my kitchen halfway out to the balcony and then seal up the rest ofbthe balcony with awnings.

Thanks

Felicity

for your information, there is a kind of shutter where if it is 80% close, there will be perforated holes which allows for ventilation.

this is useful when you want ventilation and dont want the rain to splash in, of course a little rain will seep through.

when the shutter is 100% close, wind also can come in anymore let alone rain.

hope the information helps.

Hi, do you have contact for such shutter? I'm in dilemma whether to keep ex-owner erected roof or to install automated shutter for more light? as mine is located at low floor.

I'm looking to do either fixed panel windows for my service balcony or roller shutters. Anyone has the latest pricing for such works?

I also see some retail shops that have those transparent acrylic type of roller shutters. Wonder if possible to install this instead? Else the normal shutters, if we close up, the whole area there becomes very dark.

Anyone with feedback or advises on this, please help..... Thanks lots.

Guest Success Shutters

Dear all, kindly contact me at enquiry@successsshutters.com.sg

I have several types of shutters that suits your need.

Regards Roland

Dear Forum,

I will like to enquire whether anyone come across anyone installing roller shutter for loft maisonette. I will be collecting my keys to pasir ris maisonette in 2 months time and planning to installed a roller shutter. However, HDB website indicate that roller shutter cannot be installed for loft maisonette unit.

Thank you

Regards