Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
warlock8187

Fibre Optics Internet

Hi,

I am going to sign up Singtel's fibre broadband soon. My house is currently wired up using cat5e cable, can this still be use after the fibre has been installed? Don't really like wireless as I need stable signals for stuff like my streamer box for watching movies.

Please advise. :sport-smiley-004:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yes, the cat 5e cables are reusable...

also what do you mean by wired up? cabling / faceplate /jacks?

an easier scenario would be is it something like a office?

If yes... it'll work...

but if i am not wrong the ONT from singtel has 4 ports of rj45 like any other router...

but the thing is that only 1 port works.... so you may have to invest on switches...

do not get their inhouse routers for wireless because it's 10/100 base-T where as FO works up to 1000 base-T

I am going to sign up Singtel's fibre broadband soon. My house is currently wired up using cat5e cable, can this still be use after the fibre has been installed? Don't really like wireless as I need stable signals for stuff like my streamer box for watching movies.

Please advise. :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks Ben...I thought they will also supply the wireless router when I sign up. Do u mean it's no good? My house had already wired up 2 LAN points with faceplate on cat5E...one is for mio box and the other in my room. I hope I can use back these ports as its a hassle to rewired again. I would not prefer wireless in my room as there are walls blocking my router position.

The suppied router sucks big time...lol

seriously... it's a 10/100 base-t router...

basically going back to the same old speed although you've got good backbone cable..

you should invest in a dlink 1000 base-t switch..

plug it into your ont then your cat 5e will go into your switch....

Thanks Ben...I thought they will also supply the wireless router when I sign up. Do u mean it's no good? My house had already wired up 2 LAN points with faceplate on cat5E...one is for mio box and the other in my room. I hope I can use back these ports as its a hassle to rewired again. I would not prefer wireless in my room as there are walls blocking my router position.

ok... lets start afresh....

ONT - a device to convert FO into RJ45

Basic configuration:

1. FO cable to ONT

2. ONT to 1000base-T router

3. 1000 base-t router to 1000 base-t network switch

4. 1000 base-t switch to cat5e cable

You should buy a 1000 base-t router and a 8 port 1000 base-t switch

If you need to do things in a simpler method...

Just buy a 1000 base-t router then plug in your cat5e into anyone of the 4 ports behind....

Ben,

Do you mean I should buy a additional switchbox and connect it to the supplied router or buy a new router ? I know nothing about fibre installation and what is a ONT?

yes...

please remember to liase with singtel...

tell them you are using your own router...not their's...

make sure you take down the name/date/time whom you spoke to at singtel about this.

the ont is programmed to work only with their own router (or at least that happened to me from M1)

so tell them clearly that you will be using your own router...

Ben,

Thanks alot for the detailed info. Now I know that I should buy a T base router and just plug my cat5e cables.. Bingo.

;)