Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ApaMacam

From $2,600 A Month To Just $700

From $2,600 a month to just $700

From $2,600 a month to just $700

Published on Dec 16, 2011

The Straits Times

COME rain or shine, Mr Eugene Wong has the same thing for lunch every day: two slices of bread, slathered with margarine.

He skips breakfast and relies on donations for dinner.

'If there are generous people and friends who will pass me rice to cook, I'll use that. The temple will also give us oranges.'

The 44-year-old was retrenched in September, when the recruitment firm he was working for collapsed after the boss embezzled money.

As a recruitment consultant, he took home $2,600 a month. But now Mr Wong earns less than $700 a month working as a telemarketer, at a $6.50 an hour rate.

Slowing growth is a major worry for Mr Wong, who says he is already having a hard time making ends meet.

'I'm already struggling... If the cost of living continues to go up, I'd be very concerned. I don't know how I will pay for basic needs like food, shelter and clothing. I would need to earn at least $2,000 a month just to get by.'

He belongs to the group of PMETs (professionals, managers, executives and technicians) over 40 who are at higher risk of losing their jobs.

They also find it more difficult to secure new jobs - especially those which pay salaries close to what they were earning previously.

PMETs now make up 52 per cent of the near two-million-strong local workforce. Six in 10 workers retrenched between March and June this year held PMET positions. Only around half of laid-off PMETs managed to find jobs within six months.

Mr Wong's fear is that slowing economic growth could plunge him into joblessness, from which it will be hard to escape.

He is actively searching for a better and more stable job, but his age is an obstacle. 'People don't want to hire those above the age of 35.'

'My other options are to become a taxi driver or a cook - but I don't have enough money to go for the taxi exam and a cook's hours are very, very long. I have family commitments; I've got elderly parents to look after,' he adds.

Rising prices have hit him 'very, very hard'.

'Transport has gone up, food has gone up; I'm already cutting down as much as I can,' he says.

He walks home from work every Friday evening. The journey from his Tampines office to his Joo Chiat home takes at least four hours on foot. He collects paper, cardboard and cans to sell to rag-and-bone men.

Mr Wong even asks friends for the complimentary soap and toothpaste from hotels they stay in.

'If I have anything to pawn, I'll pawn it,' he adds.

MELISSA TAN

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
He walks home from work every Friday evening. The journey from his Tampines office to his Joo Chiat home takes at least four hours on foot. He collects paper, cardboard and cans to sell to rag-and-bone men.

4hours walk daily! It's sad :( :( :(

Only Singapore has degree holders, phd holders driving taxi.

I have doubt in this bs.

How can a 44 yo man drawing $2600 per month has no saving? If he can drive a taxi means he has a driving license, work as delivery driver also earn more. Go work in Courts or Harvey Norman as salesman will earn a basic salary + commission too.

Previously worked as recruitment consultant, he dont do social networking? His previous job he should have lot of contacts from HR of many companies, why he dont pull some string and look them up?

true, but delivery driver have to carry loads of stuff and newbies get suan by warehouse ppl/sales ppl.

its different from sitting in office with air con and calling ppl on the phone.