Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
orchids

Termites - Beware!

Something to share ...

So sad .. after reno then came to know those 'stuff' appearing the in the walls are mud trails of subterranean termites.

'Coz in the last few years I always just remove the mud and spray Baygon and 'case close'.

I stay in HDB flat and after liase with Town Council + HDB ...

Their stand which is pretty firm is 'appear inside the house' = 'owner's responsibility to take care'.

They said your neighbours no such problem.

But one of my neighbour is the 'staircase and lift landing' !!!

And these termites never appear in my furniture before!

And who would expect termites to live in walls ?!

And I stay ground floor - which means can be very prone to subterranean termites !!!

Big lesson for me .. sad.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yes I have. No choice. They coming on Fri. ~$$~

This site has some info on termites : http://www.spma.org.sg/faq.htm

These companies all say the same thing to me : Your house is NOT landed property, can't put in preventive measures ( soil treatment ) ..

Some willing to give a "1 year warranty", some not willing - if another colony is killed and another springs up .. it will be another payment !!

So, "don't play play" if you see some soil on the wall.

I was so naive to think that maybe nowadays weather one kind, so insects also one kind .. starts to stay in walls .. but BIG SIGH ...

First time hear of termites living in walls :jawdrop:

Have you called pest control company?

hi my house have termite too before i start reno.. even my contractor shack their head n tell me u gonna find pest control and fees might quite huge about 2k include d injection ind ground.

when i seen their nest it i was like... wah.. what on earth is this insect one whole barge no wonder d ex owner is selling me cheap.. anyway to cut short.. i find a good pest control who is good and cheap charge me for less than 300 and before reno start all d termite r kills i am living for a year now nothing happen occasionally he d pest control guy will come my place to check 4 time a year d package type so far no problem only heard my 2 neighbour complain his side have termite chew some of their ikea furniture i guess im d culprit to divert d bug to another places hahaha but d pest control guy told me if u find ants in yr places u save definitely there be no termite coz they have wars on them.. and he also told me now temite have many kinda of breed they chew metal wire too u be suprise.

To Freyl80 ...

I suppose yours is landed property since you mention 'injection ind ground'.

So didn't do injection and so far so good? That's very nice.

There are different kinds of termites ...

http://www.pestworld.org/for-consumers/pest-guide/PestCategory/Termites

And the type in my house is not the wood termites but Subterranean Termites.

I wish my contractor had been as smart as yours .. he did not alert me at all !!

I told him there's such a situation, please seal up any holes seen and

looks like the message was passed down & nobody tell me this is something that cannot be ignored.

I'm going to pay lots more 'coz mine is not just in the walls now, but also in trunkings.

( before reno, no trunkings, wires were exposed ).

Who knows it has invaded the whole house via the trunking.

( Thank God I didn't do false ceiling )

Pest control company say no need do thermal imaging but I want to know how bad it is.

( 'coz honestly speaking, it started a few years ago and yes i am taking up a package too ).

Termites - to me they are something that if you don't see it, you don't know it is there,

until e.g. they make a mark on your wall.

I searched a few entries and see usually not many replies when someone

ask about termites .. so didn't try to post earlier, until things are more firm.

The sad thing is - this is owner's responsibility even though HDB flat!

But it is not from my furniture, it comes from the walls!

If no soil treatment and after this payment - forever no more termites then that's good la.

But what if they come back again? Plus I ground floor .. sian.

Termites will hide in wall meh? i thought Termites hide inside kitchen cabinet. if clothing, bag easy to kena mould, is it a mould bug?

i wonder does bed bug make clothing, bag mould? u can try ant poison.

Edited by dean

Hi

This is how the wall will look like if there are Subterranean Termites .. can see some soil on the wall.

Unless remove the soil else may not get to see them.

But pest control companies will tell you not to disturb them as they need to spray onto them so that they bring the poison back to others.

If disturb them then they'll 'disappear'/'avoid this route' and eventually appear elsewhere.

rtt1.th.jpg

Termites will hide in wall meh? i thought Termites hide inside kitchen cabinet. if clothing, bag easy to kena mould, is it a mould bug?

i wonder does bed bug make clothing, bag mould? u can try ant poison.

Hi Dean,

I would like to have the contact for Pest control. You got experience with him?

i only enquiry on behalf of friend. i pm u the contact no. no termites

Edited by dean

hi my house have termite too before i start reno.. even my contractor shack their head n tell me u gonna find pest control and fees might quite huge about 2k include d injection ind ground.

when i seen their nest it i was like... wah.. what on earth is this insect one whole barge no wonder d ex owner is selling me cheap.. anyway to cut short.. i find a good pest control who is good and cheap charge me for less than 300 and before reno start all d termite r kills i am living for a year now nothing happen occasionally he d pest control guy will come my place to check 4 time a year d package type so far no problem only heard my 2 neighbour complain his side have termite chew some of their ikea furniture i guess im d culprit to divert d bug to another places hahaha but d pest control guy told me if u find ants in yr places u save definitely there be no termite coz they have wars on them.. and he also told me now temite have many kinda of breed they chew metal wire too u be suprise.

Hi, May I know how is your termite situation now?

Can you give me the pest control contact? and how much did it cost you ?

Thank you in advance.

HI Frey,

How is the termites situation in your home now? My house is also infested by subterranean termite.. we are staying on the high floor and thus I am not sure where these termites come from and ours situation is quite bad as they infested the whole house... they are chewing through walls, cabinets and even wires.. it has now spread to the toilet and even our aircon ducting.. Engaged pest control once but it doesn't seem to work.

Possible to share with me your solution and how much you spend? thanks in advance.

dreamcatcher, I think I am facing the same problem sighs

Hi san20sg, My problem solved... engaged a pest control for I think around $600.. can't remember the actual cost.. just that it is much cheaper than I thought n the whole process not as complicated than what I was lead to expect.. Should have involved the pest control straight from the start instead of enduring and trying to eliminate these pests myself and sacrificed 3 wardrobes and a table in the process...