Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alvin82sg

Pieces Of Celing Drop Off.

Hi guys,

Just got my new house and surprising is the the day what i got the ket i went up and see and i got a big shock.

Pieces of celing has fell off.

I did go up for final inspection berfore the 2nd appointment and everything seem pretty all right.

right now 2nd appointmenet over and i am the new owner. is there anything i can do to fight for some compensation? Really dun feel good to purchase a new flat and find the celing dropping off.

its something like this link except not so bad --> http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-image-blue-room-ceiling-stucco-peeling-off--image9055591

but can see the metal pieces.

pls enlighten me

Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It looks like the false ceiling is giving way :(

I doubt you can do anything about it, as you have already signed on the docs.

How old is your flat? You better get a contractor to check the supporting structures of the false ceiling for safety. I heard of case of false ceiling crashing down in living room.

About one month after moving into my 3 rm hdb flat, this is what happened. Luckily it's just outside my door and TC will take care.

7d5e37e0.jpg

In my flat, the entire ceiling looks like this. My flat includes free attic???

718d0d40.jpg

Edited by dumb

Hi guys,

Just got my new house and surprising is the the day what i got the ket i went up and see and i got a big shock.

Pieces of celing has fell off.

I did go up for final inspection berfore the 2nd appointment and everything seem pretty all right.

right now 2nd appointmenet over and i am the new owner. is there anything i can do to fight for some compensation? Really dun feel good to purchase a new flat and find the celing dropping off.

its something like this link except not so bad --> http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-image-blue-room-ceiling-stucco-peeling-off--image9055591

but can see the metal pieces.

pls enlighten me

Thanks

hi alvin82sg,

sorry to hear about your problem.

i face a similiar one. found out the day before my 2nd appt (on my flat inspection day) that i did not just have cracks on my ceiling, i can remove a chunk of it by gently pulling on one of them. :(

you can see the 'lobang' on my ceiling and the chunk was placed on the floor in the next picture. also photo of another crack near the windows and 'swollen' walls and ceiling in one of the bedrooms. (Leaving out the photos of hairline crack on wall and spoilt rubbish chute.) :( :( :furious::furious:

My link the lobang

My link 'chucky' on the floor

My link

My link

My link

My link

during 2nd appt, i showed photo evidence and had wanted to defer the signing and let seller fix it. good thing seller was present and when showed the photos, he said that he would pay for it. (got story... he felt it was ok as nothing had fallen when he lived there. only fall when i inspect flat after everyone had left and i had more time to look around the empty flat. hiaz... must a chunk fall to be serious? :furious: ) okies. i will work on a seperate billing for this with my contractor when my contractor does the reno and pass the bill to seller.

at the meeting, before i signed, i asked for the contact no. of the hdb inspector who had inspected flat before 1st appt. wondered if someone from hdb could look at this? called and left message. called again today and managed to speak to him. is seems, according to him, hdb inspection only cover illegal hacking/ building. ceiling leakage etc not covered. the flat is sold 'as-is' and i could have tried to check before purchase. so, i guess i should have made the seller move the bamboo with clothes aside and look at ceiling, open and close his rubbish chute, move furniture away from the walls? haiz...

meeting hdb inspector and my contractor at my flat tomorrow morning.

i am moving forward. :) this can be overcome and i look forward to doing what i can. i shall enjoy my place!

this is my experience. i consider myself lucky that my seller if footing the cost. hope things work out well for you and i shall say :yamseng: to you in advance, in anticipation of your problem being solved and you enjoying your place!

Edited by whitewalls

u must be **** sad to buy this type of house right?

Morning dean,

Was given a good advice last evening, about my ceiling from a more 'experienced' resale flat buyer fren. :) I am to make it as 'ugly' as possible before the hdb repair. Basically I am to get a stick and try to 'smash' down as much of the bad ceiling and walls as I can so the repair can be as thorough as possible. Good thing this good advice was given as I would not thought of doing that. (me is new!)

Called hdb officer yesterday to ask for when I can get the letter from him & then go to see MP, as advised by hdb officer, to get 50% paid by hdb n 50% paid by seller. Should get my letter tomorrow or day after. Then go see MP. Once ceiling patched... My contractor will come in to do kitchen and etc actions can go from there. Timeline of actions shifted. So be it.

Thoughts and feelings wise??? Was angry at first. Sad was more, actually. But I like my house. It is not perfect and it does not meet _all_ my want-list wishes. It is a 1978 built flat and it seems the spalling issue is due to its wear and tear. However, it is mine. I choose to not allow the situation to spoil my experience of 'accepting' this house. I want to move forward, to enjoy my house, to be hospitable in it to my family and friends. (Hamsters too! Too busy with work or have bigger animals!) And there is work to handle. Simply too busy to stay stuck and sad on this. However, as stuck and sad happens from time to time, I would rather be stuck and sad on more crucial issues in the house as it shelters me. (grin)

Thanks for your comment. Appreciate the support.

Hope things are great on your end and .... Happie 2012!