Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kalle

A Simple Home For A Simple Life

Hi everyone, I've been stalking this forum for some time, and I finally decided to start my own T-blog, to share my experience and hopefully can some input from the "experienced" folks here.

I am getting keys to my 4RM at Ghim Moh in a few months time, once paperwork is cleared.

Am looking to do up the place with an "industrial look", unfinished look on the walls and floors. furniture should be light coloured woods, or vintage looking furniture.

1) the main challenge i have is how to achieve the unfinished look on the walls and floors. i heard that cement cracks very easily and is hard to achieve a good finish. is this true?

2) i've been quoted by an ID at NW $5200 for 60x60 homogeneous floor tiles and $250 for cardboard floor protection. I feel like quite expensive leh. any opinions?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hello, everyone, this is the floor plan that my ID from NW has proposed to me. any feedback?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13452798@N00/6610934955/

- is the space between the sofa and the tv console sufficient?

- do you all think it is a good idea to build a platform in my living room at the window area? i am not sure if it will interfere with the windows.

Edited by kalle

hello, everyone, this is the floor plan that my ID from NW has proposed to me. any feedback?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13452798@N00/6610934955/

- is the space between the sofa and the tv console sufficient?

- do you all think it is a good idea to build a platform in my living room at the window area? i am not sure if it will interfere with the windows.

Welcome Kalle,

If TV is very small size like 42" & below then sofa can position nearer, else sofa should be further away for bigger TV. Your ID trying to create private housing unblock view when you watch TV but HDB units very small. Can create low platform **** rm if want to retain the bay window height, should look nice and can double up as seats for dinning too.

Not too sure about fridge facing opposite stove so if consulting Feng Shui Master, do so early.

Am looking to do up the place with an "industrial look", unfinished look on the walls and floors. furniture should be light coloured woods, or vintage looking furniture.

1) the main challenge i have is how to achieve the unfinished look on the walls and floors. i heard that cement cracks very easily and is hard to achieve a good finish. is this true?

I suppose it depends how good your contractor is... :D

One option to get around this is to get flooring that looks like concrete screed but isn't (here's an example: Rustic Screed™ by ADMIRA). Some companies do produce laminates that look remarkably like concrete screed and if you get a halfway decent ID or contractor, he should be able to source some for you quite easily.

using the low platform as seats for dining looks like a good idea.

has anyone here done it before? i am visualising it as a low japanese style table with mats for seats?

using the low platform as seats for dining looks like a good idea.

has anyone here done it before? i am visualising it as a low japanese style table with mats for seats?

HiHi Kalle

Welcome to T-blog!

I think we both are having similar concept/theme for our house.

I will be doing cement screed on selected walls for my living room as well as kitchen. Yes I heard that Cement screed walls crack easily but if is just hairline cracks, I think I can live with it, in fact I feel it will further enhance the raw/unfinished look.

As for the low platform as seats for dining, I'm also having similar concept :yamseng:

but mine would be a cement bench which is linked to the TV console.

When are you starting your renovation? Can't wait to see photos from you.

Will be following your blog closely since we are having very close ideas ^^

Yes, cement screed will have hairline cracks, that's the nature of cement screed and if this is the look you want, you have to accept that there will be hairline cracks, even if not now, but over time. :)

You can look for tiles which look like cement screed, quite a few options in the market.