Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ZondaR

Recycled Teak

Recently, I went to a shop selling Solid teak tables. They selling dining tables made of recycled teak wood. the grain was very nice and there was a pleasant scent to it. only thing was there were lots of imprefections - eg. pin holes, indentation, .. but there was a rustic look to it. According to the sales person, recycled teak is better than normal teak as normal teak are plantation teak and they are younger and the grain is not so attractive.

a 1.5m table made from recycled teak cost about S$1,350... is this a good buy? anybody with experience on this? I want to use this for outdoor where there might be some rain and sunlight.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Recently, I went to a shop selling Solid teak tables. They selling dining tables made of recycled teak wood. the grain was very nice and there was a pleasant scent to it. only thing was there were lots of imprefections - eg. pin holes, indentation, .. but there was a rustic look to it. According to the sales person, recycled teak is better than normal teak as normal teak are plantation teak and they are younger and the grain is not so attractive.

a 1.5m table made from recycled teak cost about S$1,350... is this a good buy? anybody with experience on this? I want to use this for outdoor where there might be some rain and sunlight.

It is rather misleading for the sales person to say that recycled teak is better than normal teak without reference to the country of origin. If I throw away all my teak furniture made from plantation teak (Indonesian Teak) and the garang guni man picks it up from trash and recycles it, does that mean it now better than normal teak :rolleyes: Perhaps it is more accurate to state that Burmese Teak is better than Indonesian teak and teaks from other countries as the grains are tighter (because they are felled when older) and retain more of the natural oils. Younger teak tends to crack when the surrounding is too dry and the cracking sound can be as loud as a gun shot and it usually occurs at night! As a general rule, good quality teaks are way in excess of 30 years old when felled. Teaks younger than 30 years would usually not be of good quality.

$1,350 for a 1.5 m table made from recycled teak is pretty average. Not cheap, not expensive either.

It is rather misleading for the sales person to say that recycled teak is better than normal teak without reference to the country of origin. If I throw away all my teak furniture made from plantation teak (Indonesian Teak) and the garang guni man picks it up from trash and recycles it, does that mean it now better than normal teak :rolleyes: Perhaps it is more accurate to state that Burmese Teak is better than Indonesian teak and teaks from other countries as the grains are tighter (because they are felled when older) and retain more of the natural oils. Younger teak tends to crack when the surrounding is too dry and the cracking sound can be as loud as a gun shot and it usually occurs at night! As a general rule, good quality teaks are way in excess of 30 years old when felled. Teaks younger than 30 years would usually not be of good quality.

$1,350 for a 1.5 m table made from recycled teak is pretty average. Not cheap, not expensive either.

Gee, thanks for the information. YEah, I should ask the salesperson if it is burmese teak or indonesian teak. Visually, the grains on the wood surface seems more seasoned(very deep grains) than the other type of normal teak, and the 'scent' is very strong even though it is not varnished. Does this say anything of the wood? Sometimes, sales people can misrepresent...

Gee, thanks for the information. YEah, I should ask the salesperson if it is burmese teak or indonesian teak. Visually, the grains on the wood surface seems more seasoned(very deep grains) than the other type of normal teak, and the 'scent' is very strong even though it is not varnished. Does this say anything of the wood? Sometimes, sales people can misrepresent...

Not sure what you meant by the scent and very deep grains but based on your description, there is a good chance it may be Burmese Teak. By the way, the teak industry/trade is a very dirty business (run by criminals gangs and corrupt officials), I do not mean the teak furniture retailers but the wholesalers/traders dealing with teak logs.