Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Christakis

Hdb Vs Condo Reno Cost

For anyone of you in the know, does HDB and condo reno cost differs if both are doing the exact same reno.

I mean presumely the hacking, tiling, cabinets, plumbing and electric wiring would be the same - the workers are paid by the day regardless where they work.

If condos comand a premium then why and by how much.

I could see loads of ID firms advertising reno packages at a certain price, but when you ask for a quote for non-HDB its usually double the price. why??? Feels like a lamb walking into a wolf's den for slaughtering.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Seems like that is the market practice.... However, in return, they are expected to provide better ID design, better customer service :dunno: .

Yup, Condo reonvation will be much more expensive than HDB. A premimum will be charged since Condo owner are presumed to be the richer class.

For a simple example, I live in the HDB and my friend live in a condo. For simple thing like light installation, he was charged $20 per light and I was charged $10 per light. We compare other similar stuff too. His is usually 20-30% higher....

Hi!

For what I know, the resaon why Condominium quotation is always higher than HDB is because of the followings:-

1)Working hour

Contractors have restricted working hours in Condominium. They are not allow to start early or stay late in the renovated unit.

As for HDB, the contractors will sometimes work slightly early or late as long as they do not disturb and do not receive complains from neighbours.

Therefore for the same work, condominium may need more days to complete the work compare to HDB.

2) Ceiling height

Condominiums have higher ceiling height. You will see a difference in quotation esp. tiling, painting and carpentry. HDB quotation are quoted based on ceiling height appx 8ft-9ft, where Condominium will be quoted appx 10ft-11ft.

3) Concealed piping and wiring work

Condominium usually need conceal piping and wiring works. This is more costly as more work required to embed the wiring in wall and patch up upon completion.

Electrical work for HDB is faster as they just need to cover the wiring with PVC trucking.

Hope my info above are correct and helpful. Do correct me if I am wrong :>

Thank you all for the input. Sigh....... looks like I've got to get back on line towards the den :(

ChoonVennesa, thank you for taking the trouble to highlight some of the points. Somehow I'm not totally bought over.

My familiy members have undergone reno with their HDBs and belive me the workers were late more than on time. And didin't stay back late unless they were unable to meet the stipulated dateline. (very sorry if this sounded like an rebuke, am just giving feedback from my own knowledge - I give you lots of luv, luv, luv). Tiling and carpetary were quoted based on psf and psr. I agree with you on the wiring and piping part.

Somehow felt a bit better after reading the feedbacks.

Am sure I'm not the only one that felt this way.

I have just done my reno last May. The workers comes usually later but leaves on time. I ask my ID. She said cannot work late or will kenna complain. They won't want to risk their license. My ID also told me she can earn more renovating condo. That should be the true reason ba....