Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yapht

Solid Surface Vs Granite Vs Quartz

Nope. Quartz is more expensive than granite. I'm talking about established brands like caesarstone or silestone that is.

Silestone & caesarstone are higher end of Solid surface.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

From my understanding, the composition of caesarstone is majority quartz which is a natural mineral. The remaining material is made up of polyester resins and that forms less than 10%. As for solid surface, the major component is polymers eg acrylic/polyester with minimal natural minerals thrown in. Based on the composition comparisons, to classify caesarstone or any other quartz tops as high end solid surfaces doesn't sound representative. I stand corrected. Only here to learn more.

caesarstone, silestone etc are high-end engineered compressed stones instead of solid surface.

high-end solid surfaces are products like corian, LG.

i personally still prefer acrylic solid surface over quartz (though quartz is hardier) because of the joint lines and that it can be repaired or extended in the future.

From my understanding, the composition of caesarstone is majority quartz which is a natural mineral. The remaining material is made up of polyester resins and that forms less than 10%. As for solid surface, the major component is polymers eg acrylic/polyester with minimal natural minerals thrown in. Based on the composition comparisons, to classify caesarstone or any other quartz tops as high end solid surfaces doesn't sound representative. I stand corrected. Only here to learn more.

Hi all,

I won't say which product is better or superior but both has it own advantages and disadvantages. But really it is base on your budget and usages as all surfaces are subject to stains. Hence it more important to know how heavy of a user you are and more importantly how diligent you are in maintaining your kitchen top.

Do let if anyone want more clarity and understanding on any surfaces

Regards

Sebast Lee

my contractor who did my kitchen last time told me granite needs more maintenance, need to seal every 2 years but quartz don't need to. he quoted me 120 per foot for the i series of iquartz and 110 for granite. i'm not sure how much it costs to reseal but i didn't want trouble so i chose the quartz in the end. he said don't use solid surface as it will absorb stains and get scratched easily so it's alot cheaper. i guess you get what you pay for for kitchen tops.

Edited by judytan17

We wanted to get the so-called high-end quartz top, Caesarstone, but our ID says she has never use the brand before and it is not their company's partner, therefore has no confidence over the product. If we insist, we can get it ourselves and they will not provide warranty for it.

She mentioned that the supplier and contractor they use has fine craftsmanship as the joint line is very fine.

Being newbie we were persuaded to stick to their quartz supplier.

But after it is being done, the joint line looks bad. the quartz at the joint line area area looks matt as compared to the rest of the quartz and our ID explained that it is common as they need to sand it down to have a fine joint line.

Can anyone advise how true is this statement?

I somehow feel that we are kind of being cheated.

Solid surface suitable for light use, granite & quartz suitable for heavy use....

For my opinion i prefer install quartz or granite at kitchen area, solid surface for bathroom or study table top. :yeah:

I would not recommend solid surface. My wife's parents used solid surface and it was easily scratched. It was filled with scratches after awhile.