Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

Is Solid Mdf Product Really Safe To Use?

Hi all.

--- written with NO purpose to defame any company mentioned below. Just a health concern question regarding the material used. ---

Happy New Year.

Early last Jan, I came to expo furniture exhibition and saw the study desk cum hidden bed from Hidden Wall Bed. As my new study room is very small so such a space saving product really impressed me and I wanted to have it in my house immediately. What caught me back was the term "solid MDF". Such a noob, I didn't understand what it meant then, I only knew solid wood and plywood at that time. So I googled the term.

Found this:

"Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product formed by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure.[1] MDF is denser than plywood. It is made up of separated fibres, but can be used as a building material similar in application to plywood. It is stronger and much more dense than normal particle board."

Then this:

"Formaldehyde resins are commonly used to bind MDF together, and testing has consistently revealed that MDF products emit urea-formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds that pose health risks at sufficient concentrations, for at least several months after manufacture.Urea-formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat all sides of the finished piece in order to seal in the urea-formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea-formaldehyde.

Whether these constant emissions of formaldehyde reach harmful levels in real-world environments is not yet fully determined. The primary concern is for the industries using formaldehyde. As far back as 1987 the U.S. EPA classified it as a "probable human carcinogen" and after more studies the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), in 1995, also classified it as a "probable human carcinogen". Further information and evaluation of all known data led the IARC to reclassify formaldehyde as a "known human carcinogen" associated with nasal sinus cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukaemia in June 2004."

Further readings from many links:

"Extra formaldehyde may be added to the urea to make a stronger bond. The more extra formaldehyde there is, the more formaldehyde will be trapped in the wood and later emitted as a gas. MDF made with UF may emit formaldehyde gas for months or years after it is manufactured."

So, with these information, i find it very difficult to convince my husband to purchase this product. Have emailed to the company to ask them directly for their opinion but ... as we expected, no reply from them.

I know there is NO country so far in the world ban this solid MdF material YET . But influenced by many documents n conspiracy Hollywood movies, i doubt if the main reason could be the same as why pharmacy companies still can use third world countries as a test lab for their new medicine products. Not that I am saying SIngapore is a third world country, I really trust Our government on the safety aspect.

Could anyone here with good knowledge about wood material, carpentry, etc... to Enlighten me If it is actually still SaFe to use solid MDF product?

----

Readings:

Link: http://www.childrensfurniture.co.uk/mdf.html

Link: http://www.ehow.com/info_8206136_health-hazards-mdf.html

Link: http://www.elcosh.org/en/document/1211/d001086/medium-density-fiberboard-%2528mdf%2529-safety-for-carpenters.html

----

Edited by piknik

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I only know MDF cannot kana water. If the mdf is coated with laminate , paint...etc, dun allow any still water. If the area manage to absorb, after some time the area may pop up.

Not sure abt the health hazard issue.

Well, the world depends MDF / HDF (High Density Fibreboard) for a lot of things. Where it can be found includes inside your door panels of your car, fabricated cabinets (especially those in shops in malls), the backings of a lot of non-solid wood bookshelves, other bedframes, etc...

You can run but you can't hide.. =0(

MDF is not a new material and has been around for ages.

i believe 1 way or another, we grew up with MDF for a huge part of our lives.

I think the key thing here is having a raw unfinished MDF and they are not sure about the health risks too.

IMO, so long as the MDF is finished with paint or laminates, it should be ok to seal away the toxic resins.

He He, in fact your worry is unnecessary. Now most of the MDF used in the cabinet only on door panel, not the carcase.

And then now the MDF is becoming more eco,the formaldehyde is very low. Further more, the raw materials of mdf is exposed in the air, for the door panel itself, it must have something cover on face and on the edge. Like melamine, laminate or veneer, the PVC edge banding could also prevent the ommission of formaldehyde.

So be ease