Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
love84

Extended Warranty - Worth It?

Hello hello,

I'm looking for TV.. Visited a HN, Courts, BD, Gain City - all also asked me to buy extended warranty on top of the 3 yrs original warranty.. Quite expensive.. I'm looking at 32" TV, the price is about 500+, but the extended warranty is 100-200!!

Should I buy it? Is it worth it?

:unsure:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

extended warranty IMHO is to give oneself peace of mind.(To cover "abit" or "most" of consumer's benefits.

Actually for $100-200 isnt much(if you divided it by the period of time)

**Provided you fully understand what every details of the warranty covered.

Eg:the warranty might cover screen "blackout defect".BUT you need to pay transport fee of say..$50 per trip. :notti:

That's only some of the "little" terms & conditions apply in some of the warranty. :notti:

Hello hello,

I'm looking for TV.. Visited a HN, Courts, BD, Gain City - all also asked me to buy extended warranty on top of the 3 yrs original warranty.. Quite expensive.. I'm looking at 32" TV, the price is about 500+, but the extended warranty is 100-200!!

Should I buy it? Is it worth it?

:unsure:

For me, if your 32" TV costs $500 and has an existing warranty of 3 years and you have to pay $200 more(which I guess extends it to 5 years), It is definitely not worth it.

The world of consumer technology moves at lighting speed.3 years down the road, there will be a TV with better technology and more energy efficient that cost the same as your current TV.

Scenerio 1)

Let's say if you buy your 32" TV with extended warranty of 5 years and last for you for 6 years and cost you $700 in total, on the average, each year will cost you $116.67

Scenerio 2)

You buy your 1st 32" TV which cost you $500 and it breaks down after 3 years. After which, you buy a brand TV of better technology and more energy efficent that last you another 3 years. Therefore, on the average you pay $166.67/year for the 6 years of usual.

For scenerio 2, you have to taken into consideration that you are buying a brand new TV after 3rd year. Brand new stuff definitely will most likely last you longer as compared to scenerio 1 whereby your electronic components lifespan would already have been shorten after using for 6 years.

For scenerio 2, your brand new TV will most likely be more energy efficent too based on the current route maps of TV development. Therefore, you will save $$$ on your electricity bill.

Of course for Scenerio 2, you will be paying $50 more per year. However thinking at a bigger picture, in Scenerio 2, most likely you will get longer mileage from your 2 TVs as compared to scenerio 1. You will also get to potentially enjoy better visual quality effect with your 2nd brand new TV and also save on electricity bill. Therefore, the difference is actually quite negligible.

Well, the above is just what I thought of after seeing your post. Hope the above can help you in a way to decide whether to go with the extended warranty option.

Bought fridge and tv, opt out of ext warranty, not worth paying since item value is small and easily replaceable.

But for aircon systems, I did since the ext warranty cost will be easily recovered with one single part replacement, maybe heard too many horror stories on lousy installation.

if warranty from manufacturer then worth, not worth if from HN, courts, gain city etc. if HN ext warranty cheap cheap, maybe can consider

example from HP notebook ext warranty, if HDD detch clicking sound, HP will change to new HDD. from 5400rpm to 7200rpm.

Edited by dean

An extended warranty makes sense for a product like a refrigerator, if you intend to have it for 15 years... A television? Probably not worth it; you may replace it in 5-10 years anyways.

I usually wont buy extended warranty, give as free gift i'll accept, if need to ford out money can forget it.

The Ariston washer cum dryer i bought in YR2003 is still going strong, standard warranty is 3 years, only call them once for a main circuit board issue due to a cockroach, the technician just wash the circuit board under running tap water, brush it and sun dry it, install it back and viola, it is working good since.

The Sony 32" LCD TV was given as free gift 7 years ago when i signed up with Singnet broadband, it is still working great after all these years.

I did extended warranty fr courts before n was given one for one replacement after 1.5 yrs. with e confidence that they honor their words, I went on to get extended warranty fr GC for other products. That's my experience. Cheers