Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xanadu

Worth Buying Old Hdb

Hi, I am just wandering is it worth buying a old HDB (30 years old) or should i wait buy a HDB that is 5 year old? I personally like older HDB based on a few reasons. i am a little bit confused when someone told me that no value if to buy old HDB as you only left with 60 year more before enbloc. not too sure whether is that something that i need to consider?

PRO

1) open carpark. More convenient rather than multi storey carpark

2) bigger and nice layout flats

3) can throw rubbish inside the house rather than going to the share rubbish chute outside the corridor

4) can pick a more convenient location nearer to town centre and easier transport system.

CON

1) older. may need to renovate more. wear and tear

Can you give me more comments?

Thank You.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, I am just wandering is it worth buying a old HDB (30 years old) or should i wait buy a HDB that is 5 year old? I personally like older HDB based on a few reasons. i am a little bit confused when someone told me that no value if to buy old HDB as you only left with 60 year more before enbloc. not too sure whether is that something that i need to consider?

PRO

3) can throw rubbish inside the house rather than going to the share rubbish chute outside the corridor

4) can pick a more convenient location nearer to town centre and easier transport system.

CON

Thank You.

its really depending on your lifestyle and what you prefer.

For me, having a good location and layout is more important than whether the flat is new or not. Renovation wise, the older flats have better layout so its easier to renovate to your liking than newer ones.

On pricing wise, i know the newer flats are more ex than older even though they can be smaller size. Due to the remaining years of the flat. So, the difference can be used for doing a good renovation.

About enbloc, as we know so far, there aren't many blocks that are older than 50 years old so i don't think hdb would really wait till 99 years before en bloc a block. Before you know it, hdb might en bloc once its reaches 50 years old and give new flat to you? I still find its worth it to buy older flat at good location so even en bloc, will be given nearby location so you will get a new flat at good location without paying for the high price.

Hi xanadu,

I just bought a flat not too long ago at Bukit Merah View. It's about 15 years old, and pretty spacious for a 5 room flat.

But I totally understand your dilemma having experienced it myself.

We were looking at Tiong Bahru / Jalan Membina newer flats of about 5-10 years old. Also, we liked a few units at Ghim Moh, which were about 35 years old.

So just to add on to your list, here's some more pros & cons of old and new flats.

New flats pros

- Clean; better condition, less reno to do

- Typically more centralized with more facilities nearby

- Younger neighbours in the estate

- Easier to take loan

New flat cons

- Small layout / insufficient rooms or space

- Much more busy / crowded

Old flat pros

- Bigger, nicer squarer layout

- More laid back, not so congested

- More spacious (from block to block)

Old flat cons

- More reno needed

- Condition might not be as good

- More difficult to get loan for

On the whole, I'm slightly more in favour of older blocks due to the space (inside the flat).

Also, I like the house made to my specific requirements; so buying a old flat and totally re-doing it makes sense for me.

As for the enbloc issue I think it's a little bit irrelevant. I don't see myself alive after the next 60-85 years when the 99 year lease ends :P

However, do note that selective en-bloc happens when the government wants to acquire your property for redevelopment, so there is a possibility you might be uprooted if your block is chosen.

Also, do take note that the older the flat is, the harder it is to take a loan. If your flat is left with 40-50 years, the bank will not be so willing to lend as compared to a new flat.

I think ultimately, you should see as many units as possible (I viewed close to 40) before coming to a decision.

Again, it depends on what you see as a priority. Do let me know if you would like more advice.

PRO

CON

Thank You.

You sure open carpark is a Pro? More convenient, true but

- There will be less unit for everyone to vie

- Open to beatings of the weather

- Open to bird poo, fallen leaves, tree bark

- No place to wash car by yourself

- Prone to outsider car park on the road and block your car

Thanks for your comment. It really depend on individual whether u like open or multi storey carpark. Previously in my old estate, there were no open carpark and i have to walk to 200m and most of the time take the stair to L4 to take my car. In my present flat, i just have to park at open carpark beside my block. It is cheaper in term of season parking, no bird **** as only small tree planted and most impt is that it is more secured. You are right that it is weather dependent.

One thing I do hate about mscp is when I forgot where I parked... Got to go up and down looking for it... hehehe

One thing I do hate about mscp is when I forgot where I parked... Got to go up and down looking for it... hehehe

use ur HP to take a pic on that floor.

use ur HP to take a pic on that floor.

Yea, I should make that habit.....

I prefer open air carpark. My home has both MSCP & open air carpark. I always park at the open air carpark.

I can list more pros of newer flats

Pros

No need to consider upgrading levy.

No need to worry about electrial loading if you want to air-condition the entire house.

I prefer open air carpark. My home has both MSCP & open air carpark. I always park at the open air carpark.

I can list more pros of newer flats

Pros

No need to consider upgrading levy.

No need to worry about electrial loading if you want to air-condition the entire house.

If family is small, new flat is a no brainer as the design is better thought out like

- Less visible toilet pipings

- Larger window area

- Electrical point with no visible trunking on the ceiling

Assuming all parameters on same par(consider both quantitative & qualitative approaches). I noticed comparatively, old hdb unit is more expensive than say BTOs. Why?

Why not so for pte units? Open discussion, to "test" yr understanding of the mkt.

me not good in pty thing, so i say what i know ...please correct me so i can learn as well

old hdb - bigger space compare to smaller bto.

old hdb - mature amenties / market nearby. BTO - don't know where it is located. Old folks remember old hdb location compare to bto location.

old hdb - fengshui good because it has breath in human qi (just a nonsense from me). BTO - no qi at all.

bto flat better than resale flat. old hdb flat no good, those built before 1987 at bukit batok. The entire ground floor ceiling paint all peeling off. worst, jtc will paint this flat in 2014.

Old HDB:

5 room - 120sqm

4 room - 100sqm

New HDB:

5 room - 110sqm

4 room - 90sqm

And new HDB's internal space is even smaller because balcony, planters, aircon ledge is counted as part of the space. That can sometimes take up to 10-15sqm.

OLD HDB: downstairs is MRT

NEW HDB: downstairs is LRT, need to transfer to MRT

OLD HDB: LPG gas

NEW HDB: city gas, can have storage heater with warm and cold water

OLD HDB: common toilet is at the end of the kitchen

NEW HDB: common toilet is at the middle of the house

OLD HDB: bigger space, but lousy workmanship, so renovation cost is higher, plus wear and tear, but can command higher COV if done well

OLD HDB: store room, can hack

NEW HDB: Bomb Shelter, cannot hack

OLD HDB: big kitchen, can put island

NEW HDB: wife seldom cook, so small kitchen plus service yard

OLD HDB: use bamboo poles to hang clothes outside house

NEW HDB: you stay at level 25, u dare to hang clothes outside?

Edited by paladin126

bto flat better than resale flat. old hdb flat no good, those built before 1987 at bukit batok. The entire ground floor ceiling paint all peeling off. worst, jtc will paint this flat in 2014.

hi, i have a flat in bukit batok central, it was built in 1989 ...i bought in 1999 until now. Currently it is undergoing painting. But it is well maintained there.

Which area of bukit batok you referring to ?

And btw, the jtc charges that area $70 plus a month for s&c