Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kaym

Water Leak From Window Ledge

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix leakage problem at the balcony window with damp walls except that my window doesnt have a sill. Its the closed casement type. I suspect that rainwater leaks from the outside window ledge into the flat. I saw window installer applying a water-based waterproofing sealant using a paint-brush but I dont know where to get it.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction!

SNC01485.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hwaa > Bsc? No, its not a new flat, its a renovated resale actually.

albertchng> Is the silicon water-based? I asked because the 'ledge' that I would like to apply on is along the stretch of the long balcony window - quite long. Tooth-paste version might not be enough. Hardware shop, are those ones which sell paint?

This type of defect hard to troubleshoot, cos u need to understand where the water seeps into the window frame.

It could be from the top frame, sides or the bottom frame. U also have to see if there is any ponding on the concrete wall sill.

After a heavy rain, note down where the water actualy touches the window frame. Then u try sealing with shelleys plasticine type of sealant. Dun use silicon sealant as they do not last in exposed weather conditions.

albertchng> Is the silicon water-based? I asked because the 'ledge' that I would like to apply on is along the stretch of the long balcony window - quite long. Tooth-paste version might not be enough. Hardware shop, are those ones which sell paint?

Not sure if you can find this in big industrial hardware shop.

http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/selleys-roof-gutter-speed-seal

the problem is....how would I know which type of sealant works best? Going for 'better' ones would mean probably having to buy online from overseas.

I use Shelley's Blockade.. it's very sticky and weather proof. Homefix sells them at $10.xx per gun canister. It's packaging is grey and black in colour and the sealant is grey in colour. So far this is the most realiable for me.

Does shelleys blockade spread out easily over a big area? Or does it come out like toothpaste? I worry that one canister may not be enough for length of balcony window? Does all homefix branches stock shelleys?

Hi kaym,

Did you manage to resolve the problem in the end? Was it easy applying the sealant urself?

Thanks

Geez... I had the same problems too whenever there is heavy rain.. :wacko:

Does shelleys blockade spread out easily over a big area? Or does it come out like toothpaste? I worry that one canister may not be enough for length of balcony window? Does all homefix branches stock shelleys?

sorry for late reply.. no.. very sticky.. wun run well. must more dense than toothpaste. more like silicon sealant type of viscosity.