Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
XTR

S&s Self-Designed Home In The East

Out of curiosity...

Is your contractor and carpenter 2 different people? How did you manage to source for your carpenter? And could I also get his details?

Thanks!!!

Brenda

ok back to reno.

all these while, we still waited for the cement to completely dry. we waited for 2 weeks before we were satisfied with the colour.

so the carpenter came and we sat down to discuss the kitchen cabinets and wardrobes.

kitchen cabinet

the fridge is not supposed to be there. si alan... =)

gong to be using track lights and t5 cove lights for the kitchen.

we wont be using dish drainer. we dont like having a dish drainer that protrudes down. we like those ppl who did their dish drainer flushed with the top cabinets.

IMG_1460.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Things to be done to the flat:

Hacking kitche, hall, rooms.

Combine 2 bedrooms to become MBR.

combine 1 room with living room.

shoe cabinet

kitchen cabinet

wardrobe

wetworks

9 feet sliding glass door

raised platform

cement screed flooring

no feature console. (eat my money only)

brick wall

chalkboard wall

How much did you spend on the renovation?

TIA

Hi, I got my keys in Jan 2013. Due to lack of funds, couldn't start reno yet. Have met many IDs/contractors but didn't feel assured, so I have not engaged one yet.

Mine is a tiny 2-room bought from sale of balance flat. Very expensive. CPF is empty now.

In the meantime, seriously considering accepting the FOC cement screeding by HDB for the living room and bedroom that are currently rough concrete.. But when I asked the HDB Technical Officer and his term contractor about the cement finishing, they both said the cement finish will be ROUGH and DUSTY and not suitable to step on and will be worse than the corridor cement walkway built by the construction company.

Then the HDB term contractor offered to lay the rough kitchen ceramic tiles (1 ft x 1 ft type, light yellow colour) in the living room and bedroom if I pay him $1000. The floor area involved is about 23 sqm / 248 sqft. But he does not want to sign any contract and HDB said any such personal arrangement is not their responsibility.

I am having big headache trying to decide. Workmanship issues, reliability issues, value for money issues, etc. Bery confusing right now.

Grateful for any advice. Thanks all!

Hi XTR, I m super n very delighted to read your tblog, what a lovely journey.

Can you pls PM me your contractor. I will be starting my reno journey from July. girlinsin@yahoo.com

Hi XTR, i will be getting my keys ard year end and came across your lovely write up on your reno and diy.. would appreciate if you could share Alan's contact.. thanks a lot in advance =)

Here's my email - brclips@hotmail.com

kitchenclean steel look IMG_5187.jpg

Hi XTR, I notice there is a beam just beside ur ceiling fan. Does it affect the wind flow? Can feel the wind while standing on the other side of the beam (near the chute area)? Sorry if this qns seem silly but i come across ceiling fan that has a very bad distribution of wind flow where one can only feel the wind if standing right below the fan only. Like to hear some feedback b4 installing fan in kitchen. Mine unit layout is similar to urs.

Also would like to comment that u have a totally beautiful home and ur DIY skills is impressive. Thanks for sharing so much here for all to learn.

congrats on having such a comfy home done up ;))

i am in the process of looking for an ID & contractor, grateful if you may share your contacts please?

thanks a lot for posting on this thread too as it is really informative.

bought some wooden letters to put in the kitchen for eating "nom nom nom"IMG_1154.jpgFound these wooden art boxes that you can have so many uses! I didnt buy it... unsure.gif its cheap. $30 if i rem. You can use it for bedside table....sofa side table....keep jewellery...etc.IMG_1155.jpgIMG_1156.jpgIMG_1157.jpg

I know this was last year buy hope you can share where I can lay hands on the wooden box. Just beginning to read your blog. ;)

Thank You All for liking our place. Could you pls pm me and i will send u my contractor contacts.

Have not logged in here for a while.

Hi ,

could i kindly request for your Contractor's contact. Would appreciate your help very much! Thank you.

P.s: Im gonna join in the cement screed floor gang!

sorry, I have not checked this thread for a while. To reply some of your queries...

Makanology: Oops, I am sure your reno is already over but feel free to PM me if you have any questions still!

Zionbrenda: I spent S$30k exactly for my reno. My contractor and carpenter are 2 different people but the carpenter is part of my contractor, Alan's team. If you still don't have his contact, let me know and I will PM you.

MHB: S$30k

Drunkenchivas/BabyAudrey/Gis/Soulity/Ime/Braceskisses: Let me know if you still need his contact I will PM you.BabyAudrey, huge mirror is $150.

Berrycherry: yes it does affect the windflow, I can still feel the wind though. If you want proper windflow, there must be sufficient distance between the fan and the ceiling. Thank you for your kind comments :)

Pills: Wooden Box can be bought from ArtFriend.

Just sharing some updates from our home

We've been collecting Astier de Villatte pieces for the home. Really love the raw finish. We bought most of our pieces from the flagship store along Rue St Honore in Paris.

IMG_4480_zps59217d59.jpg?t=1384074734

A dinner party we hosted for some good friends. Simple decor ideas like using kraft paper as a table runner and gold candle holder from Hock Siong and a lovely Diptyque candle to add to the atmosphere. Handwritten menu on kraft paper by my wife.

51fcbe45-52f6-485c-87e0-83a91aea2146_zps

7f70bf87-7af1-4e12-9ea4-0ee3068e145c_zps

Some of the wonderful meals we've shared together ever since we've moved in... all cooked by my amazing wife.

Sushi Sunday

cd8ed221-1d6d-4007-a546-33adc6f1ab67_zps

Salmon Onigiri:

f3158c03-ca4b-4900-9e6e-f57b8202b5e1_zps

Raspberry Friands:

86020f74-0717-4fa9-b0dc-9c40060c732a_zps