Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kirinshibori

Old New Flat On A Shoestring Budget

Hi,

I love the stripes actually.

Can I check with u the colour of the laminate used in the kitchen cabinets? And for the strips of wood, are they laminated or plain stripes of plywood?

No laminates in the kitchen... The cabinets are made using oak veneer plywood, while the strips are solid ash. They are all hand finished with shellac and lacquer.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Are you trolling? You didn't even read the whole thread right?

This place is self-designed, which I think is really impressive for a DIY effort.

Magazine shots will usually be styled - so all the daily living items will be packed or moved away for the shot, your idea of 'beautification'?.

Thanks for the compliments! It's always nice to hear from you.

It's true that I did not beautify my shots... have been posting the recent pictures, warts and all, due to requests for info by fellow forummers, haha...

Btw, just thought that these are funny...

The rip off that I have of the elegant arc lamp adorning your living room has been literally a pain for me. I just can't get the height and positioning right and kept bumping my head against it!

And the simple human garbage bin... well, it has unfortunately become a white elephant, lol... As the simple human bin is inside the cabinet, we're reluctant to throw any organic waste in there for fear of pest infestation and smell; and the bin in the dining room is just so much more convenient for non-organic waste... So, the end result is very token utilization of the most expensive bin in our house. What a joke!

Well, hubby n I thought abt the budget for our book collection as well..we asked for carpentry cost and it's way above $1K. We went Ikea since their billy bookshelf got good reviews from ikeahack. For our study room, 2m long of bookshelf, with glass doors and extended shelf on top (to reach the ceiling) will cost up to $900. Can use bestar shelves as well, cost a little more than $900-$1000. I like to display all my books for easy access so it's the best to have a good bookshelf. Books r to be read. Other than that, I don't know how to hide them leh.. You won't want books to fall down on the person opening the door right? If you need, sort out the kind of book that no one in your family will read, or rarely read, put them underneath the bed or give away.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'd probably be looking at Billy too. The original plan was to use Lack open shelves, but their load bearing capacity is pretty suspect. I've used all 3, Expedit, Besta and Billy in my previous place, and their durability are in the exact descending order. Billy's are probably more space friendly as their are meant for books and also shallower than the other 2. The ability to add doors to them is pretty neat too. Actually, I was also considering Stuva wall shelves as they look more sturdy than the Billy.

But I've reserved a place beside my altar for the tree shelf that I've been lusting after. Too bad the original is too big and probably too expensive!

tree+bookshelf.jpg

I'd probably need to custom make one, when I have the moolah... unless somebody in the forum knows where to get one locally at a wallet-friendly price!

No offence.

The initial impression i got is - japanese style. Spacious. Bright. relaxing, esp with alot of cut-outs from magazines. (i do recognise a few pic i seen somewhere b4)

The end result - very ikea, cramped and its totally different from what u portray.

The kitchen cabinet has too much stripes.

It looks like the place has been stayed for a couple of years. Perhaps u should ask yr ID to beautify it.

I think this is a pretty gd effort for a DIY project. The pics reflects the live in condition of the place. If the place is tidy up for a photoshoot, it will definitely be quite marvelous. Personally, I look through bizkid76's reno pics. The reno looks dated and common with the color scheme (white, black, grey, red). Nothing caught my eyes.

MM

To be fair I do not think the point is that bizkid76's renovation was "better" than the TS's, but that the design has lost its way.

But its not very useful to point it out after its been done and the TS has moved in.

Its kinda like your colleague badmouthing the new car you just bought, saying its got gearbox problems.

Or someone commenting that the new handbag you bought, "cheh, made in China only!"

Then again, its all just words and semantics. So long as the owner himself/herself likes it, who is anyone else to judge?

My own unit was tidied up for photos and now looks cluttered because we actually live in it (and not just have it as a showflat) but heck, we're comfortable. That's what counts.

To be fair I do not think the point is that bizkid76's renovation was "better" than the TS's, but that the design has lost its way.

To be fair, i would say there is no wow factor in the design. I do hope he didnt paid premium for a ID.

beforeafterw.jpg

To be fair, i would say there is no wow factor in the design. I do hope he didnt paid premium for a ID.

beforeafterw.jpg

I have never agree with albert (you) before, but you are so so right today. I know what you mean, the design looks like tearing down the old cabinet, and rebuild a new cabinet with different design. Even the sink and the hob are in same position as the old design. Nothing fancy, no WOW effect.

It is very easy to design a house using all whites. Nothing special, nothing creative. Maybe he didn't pay a premium, especially on the carpentry, because it looks like normal PVC white laminates to me.

Edited by ayazumi

tree+bookshelf.jpg

I like the design of this book shelf. I wanted to create a "tree" effect in my living room, but have not thought of this as I was thinking of buying a big tree wall sticker to stick on my living room wall. Now I see this, I feel that this is very special, but it will look better if you have a big piece of wall spare to be creative.

I like the design of this book shelf. I wanted to create a "tree" effect in my living room, but have not thought of this as I was thinking of buying a big tree wall sticker to stick on my living room wall. Now I see this, I feel that this is very special, but it will look better if you have a big piece of wall spare to be creative.

I do agree with ayazumi that this will look great for a big wall space. Unless there is a smaller version for our small HDB 3 or 4 room and hopefully, it will not cost a bomb. Those with loft flat should be able to execute the intended look. :dribble:

I do agree with ayazumi that this will look great for a big wall space. Unless there is a smaller version for our small HDB 3 or 4 room and hopefully, it will not cost a bomb. Those with loft flat should be able to execute the intended look. :dribble:

If solid wood... will cost a bomb.

The anchor that hold the shelves to the wall will be using super heavy duty, like those use to mount 60 inches LED screen to the wall. Books are many times heavier than LED TV.

Hi kirinshibori,

I too feel that you have done a wonderful job in your place. If's difficult to keep the place neat and tidy with kids n their barangs barangs, but i know this is certainly a home that the kids look foward to coming back, and i feel this is the most important aspect of a home.

This home feels cozy with your choice of wood material n definitely has the modern japanese vibe to it.

I have seen the tree shelf and liked it a lot. But it's just impractical for my book collection. This fancy shelf cannot stand my books'weight lah.. Too bad..

Apparently so... But for my carpenter, he charged me for the material cost only, after we decided to change from plywood fronts to oak veneer and ash strips. The oak veneer plywood cost about $25 per piece, and each piece is huge, I think about 8x6ft. The ash strips cost about 80-90 cents/ft. This is material cost, not including labour, which I think most carpenters will mark up since using laminates is more straightforward and saves on labour.

Your carpenter very kind, this type is very labour intensive and time consuming. Good job!

Let me see, where should I begin...

Yes, the intent was for the "atas" Japanese style, where basic remodelling easily cost SGD$100,000. Well, my budget started at a tenth of that, so I guess something's gotta give.

Erm... ya agree that atas Japanese style doesn't come cheap. I spent that amount but also don't have a place that looks like the atas pics so I think you did a good job with the budget you had. :yamseng:

Thanks for the compliments! It's always nice to hear from you.

It's true that I did not beautify my shots... have been posting the recent pictures, warts and all, due to requests for info by fellow forummers, haha...

Btw, just thought that these are funny...

The rip off that I have of the elegant arc lamp adorning your living room has been literally a pain for me. I just can't get the height and positioning right and kept bumping my head against it!

And the simple human garbage bin... well, it has unfortunately become a white elephant, lol... As the simple human bin is inside the cabinet, we're reluctant to throw any organic waste in there for fear of pest infestation and smell; and the bin in the dining room is just so much more convenient for non-organic waste... So, the end result is very token utilization of the most expensive bin in our house. What a joke!

Think it's not just about beautification/tidying the place. Camera is important too. I think professional photographers tend to use wide angle lenses that makes the place look more spacious. Plus some color tweaking etc to get the mood/effect wanted. So us amateurs can never get the same effect with iPhone/point n shoot cameras. I'm sure the pics of your place will turn out much nicer using a professional camera. Plus some professional eye for good angles.

Oh we got Space to reposition the lamp height. I think they gave me the middle config when they 1st installed it but I kept bumping into the lamp. So they came back a 2nd time to change to the highest setting. I just manage clear the lamp now, but anyone taller will bump into it. So the elephant is also there to prevent people from stepping under the lamp. But my hubby and I are used to the lamp by now, so no more bumping of heads.

What a waste about your bin! Maybe can use to put recyclables? Those clean type? Actually same for my Brabantia. We use the Bin Bin all the type tho. http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/our-bin-bin-waste-bins/

I have to give credit to you for making me think seriously about having a genkan! On my 'want' list in my next place. :)

Hi Kurinshibori, your house looks great! I was looking for some ideas for the carpentry work that I want to do for my new house; chanced upon your t-blog, and amazed that you pulled of the look off the looks of the things you wanted from the inspiration pics. Kinda inspired me that it is possible to be prudent and yet achieve the look, provided that the planning homework is done :)

I was looking at one of the picture you posted on your genkan - is that a shoe cabinet at the right hand side? Not sure if that was your shoe cabinet but saw the "line" design and thought might be a good idea for shoe cabinet ventilation (I always find that my shoes get mould in the current shoe cabinet that I had, had to keep buying hungry hippo!). If it is the shoe cabinet, possible to pose a close up pic of the front and sides? That is if you don't mind me stealing your idea :P Thanks in advance!