Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kalimantan

How Much To Charge For Air-Con For Rental ?

The tenant wants air-con, and i am a flexible landlord for the following clause

a) base rent + $100 per month aircon (optional). If this month super-hot, can turn on air-con. If forcast not so hot, no air-con.

b) it comes with fan already.

Is $100 a lot ? my concern is electricity bill goes up, and they will usually turn on 24 hours (over weekends), which means the air-con unit will also have to maintain.

Any of you experience on air-con usage from tenant ?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

a) base rent + $100 per month aircon (optional). If this month super-hot, can turn on air-con. If forcast not so hot, no air-con.

Is $100 a lot ? my concern is electricity bill goes up, and they will usually turn on 24 hours (over weekends), which means the air-con unit will also have to maintain.

My previous tenant (room rental) used the aircon in the day although it was indicated for night sleeping only. I now state in the contract tenant can use aircon for night sleeping only, from XXX pm to XXX am, to be clear. If tenant wish to switch it on in the day, need to compensate for the additional hours. Important to monitor your monthly electricity bill.

Rental for 24 hrs use of aircon is definitely much higher.

Edited by Maria

Hi, my previous tenant does use the air-con but however all the bills are foot by them.

Why the need to be so calculative? Your tenants are all adults, just tell them to be responsible users. You can also set a limit, i.e. based on last 6 months (no tenant), median electricity bill is $x. They pay you a fixed sum for electricity (i.e. $x + $100). If the bill exceeds $x+$100 then they pay the difference. That way, they can use aircond all they like, just pay the diff.

I find it quite patronizing to tell another adult you can use aircond from 10pm to 6am. Use what you like just pay lor

On 4/7/2012 at 11:36 AM, Gymrat76 said:

Why the need to be so calculative? Your tenants are all adults, just tell them to be responsible users. You can also set a limit, i.e. based on last 6 months (no tenant), median electricity bill is $x. They pay you a fixed sum for electricity (i.e. $x + $100). If the bill exceeds $x+$100 then they pay the difference. That way, they can use aircond all they like, just pay the diff.

I find it quite patronizing to tell another adult you can use aircond from 10pm to 6am. Use what you like just pay lor

Yeap did the same. There's a fixed sum for the electricity bill and if anything exceeds the tenant has to pay the difference. 

As a landlord for condominiums, some of the current potential tenants has asked if the cost for using air-con can be more flexible. Especially at those times when the weather is warm, some of the rentees ask for discounted rates for using air-con. Typically all the previous rentals do not include air-con within their rental.