Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Gymrat76

Washing Machine Under Kitchen Counter

For my upcoming reno, I was toying with the idea of installing my washing machine under the kitchen counter in order to take up other floor space in the kitchen area. If I build the counter to allow some room on top and at the sides and slot the washing machine into it, are there any other considerations I need to take into account? Drainage will be linked to the drain pipe of the sink next to it

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

I've used my washing machine this way for 10 yrs plus. Only difference is I linked the drainage hose to the toilet and not to the sink drainage as advised by the kitchen cabinet designer.He felt that should the kitchen drainage chock with fats,foodstuff etc it will pose a problem when the washing machine is running and discharging its water contents during wash cycle. The other school of thought is that the soapy wash from the WM could be clearing the fatty deposits in the drainage system if its linked to the kitchen drainage. Im not sure on this.

During the spin cycle, if the machine is not balanced equally on all 4 legs, it tends to move and once in a while u must adjust its position so that it centralised in the cabinet n not too close to the cabinet side wall.

Having the washing machine in the cabinet is neat n tidy. Hope it helps.

Hi,

I've used my washing machine this way for 10 yrs plus. Only difference is I linked the drainage hose to the toilet and not to the sink drainage as advised by the kitchen cabinet designer.He felt that should the kitchen drainage chock with fats,foodstuff etc it will pose a problem when the washing machine is running and discharging its water contents during wash cycle. The other school of thought is that the soapy wash from the WM could be clearing the fatty deposits in the drainage system if its linked to the kitchen drainage. Im not sure on this.

During the spin cycle, if the machine is not balanced equally on all 4 legs, it tends to move and once in a while u must adjust its position so that it centralised in the cabinet n not too close to the cabinet side wall.

Having the washing machine in the cabinet is neat n tidy. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the replies. Got the idea when I saw someone's dishwasher mounter under the counter and thought it would be a neat idea and to take up less space in the already-small kitchen. Will talk to my contractor about this when we do the reno. Cheers

Thanks for the replies. Got the idea when I saw someone's dishwasher mounter under the counter and thought it would be a neat idea and to take up less space in the already-small kitchen. Will talk to my contractor about this when we do the reno. Cheers

:yamseng:

350x525-feb11-asksophie-2.jpg

:yamseng:

350x525-feb11-asksophie-2.jpg

Nice! But looks like very little clearance at the side and top.. when your machine spins and vibrates does it hit against the side or the counter top?

Nice! But looks like very little clearance at the side and top.. when your machine spins and vibrates does it hit against the side or the counter top?

It's not mine. Saw it on the Home&Decor website and thought you could use the pic for reference. Think it's more common to put the machine under the counter overseas... try googling overseas sites for advice and references?

It's not mine. Saw it on the Home&Decor website and thought you could use the pic for reference. Think it's more common to put the machine under the counter overseas... try googling overseas sites for advice and references?

Ah okay :)

Will ask around, but thought I'd design the counter to allow an inch of space at the sides and top, maybe fill it with some kind of cushioning material to prevent damage to the machine/counter when there is vigorous vibration..however this means I will eliminate the option of having a drier.. hmmm