Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

A big hello to all fellow EM owners!

I hope this thread is still active...

If you're all still reading this, could you let me know if any one has constructured a roof at your balcony area? Am unsure of HDB regulations on this even though I have seen some EMs in my vicinity with tiled roofs.

My fiance and I would like to extend our living area and construct a polycarbonate roof at the balcony for an al fresco dining area.

Your invaluable advice would be very much appreciated! :D

• Like 3

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
A big hello to all fellow EM owners!

I hope this thread is still active...

If you're all still reading this, could you let me know if any one has constructured a roof at your balcony area? Am unsure of HDB regulations on this even though I have seen some EMs in my vicinity with tiled roofs.

My fiance and I would like to extend our living area and construct a polycarbonate roof at the balcony for an al fresco dining area.

Your invaluable advice would be very much appreciated! :dunno:

Hi tristesse,

I thk shd be fine with constructing the roof cos i see my neighbors do tat too. My EM is under reno now...

8|

• Like 1

:)

we just bought EM last week and saw the news last night abt the HDB transacted prices and COV thingy.

:)

beginning to feel that we were smoked by agent and ended up offering a much higher COV than our initial budget.

is 45k COV on the high side? :P

• Like 1

:unsure:

the last transaction was in Jun, 2k less than my purchase price, but it was on a higher floor.

i asked another independent agent, and the reply was a 'fair' purchase price.

really freaked when i saw the news and tis morning's article ... :) and the fact remains that i paid 45k COV, which compromised on my renovation budget.

The hdb press release gave an average for each sector - north, north-east, west, central, etc, which may not be so accurate for your particular block and location. E.g. Prices of execs in my area Serangoon vary significantly - $50k depending on where they are located. As long as your price is within the bell curve of transacted prices i.e. not the highest or one of the highest, I think you can derive some comfort in that.

:(

we just bought EM last week and saw the news last night abt the HDB transacted prices and COV thingy.

:unsure:

beginning to feel that we were smoked by agent and ended up offering a much higher COV than our initial budget.

is 45k COV on the high side? :)

I think COV really depends on where is your location. Yours must be somewhere q central?

I tend to be v spectical of what agent tell me. Dont forget that their aim is to see as high as possible so that their comm can be as much as possible.

I think COV really depends on where is your location. Yours must be somewhere q central?

I tend to be v spectical of what agent tell me. Dont forget that their aim is to see as high as possible so that their comm can be as much as possible.

If we do some calculation base on the HDB re-sale transaction site. For example Toa Payoh EM,

The EM is Toa Payoh transaction price is $435,000. With the COV is 20,000 then the total is unit price is $455,000.

This does make sense with the latest release from HDB. On average of a Executive unit in Central is $453,800 with COV is 20,000.

So if you want to know if you had pay too much or not, can go to the site and select your location and view the transaction price of it. Just a suggestion for making judgement :unsure:

Hi tristesse,

I thk shd be fine with constructing the roof cos i see my neighbors do tat too. My EM is under reno now...

:bangwall:

I am also considering building a roof on top of the balcony but my ideal is to have a flat base over head such that I can extend some storage place from the master bed room. Any body do that before?

Can sombody please advises is this feasible? :dunno:

If we do some calculation base on the HDB re-sale transaction site. For example Toa Payoh EM,

The EM is Toa Payoh transaction price is $435,000. With the COV is 20,000 then the total is unit price is $455,000.

This does make sense with the latest release from HDB. On average of a Executive unit in Central is $453,800 with COV is 20,000.

So if you want to know if you had pay too much or not, can go to the site and select your location and view the transaction price of it. Just a suggestion for making judgement :~

Hi TPY , u bought an EM in toa payoh? :~

bought my EM in Hougang. We were convinced by the amount of space and my kids love the place (we have seen anything from 4A to 5A, 5I to EAs ... conditions were really terrible).

as the last transacted price was logged at 378k, it was tough to offer anything below.

our first offer was 30k which was not accepted.

anyway, going to exercise my option next week. cest la vie :~ Done Deal already.

will hv to compromise on my reno and postpone whatever works that can be done at a later stage.

Let my experience be a reference to future EM buyers, especially at current market conditions.

Guest hdb_sigh

WOW,...hello everybody.

Surprise to see this thread still alive and kicking.

I paid my EM in Balister area for $325, 5th floor - back in June 2006.

Now I think increase a lot already.

But it still pretty cool place and most importantly, its clean and facing canal ..............+ PIE....dang! :rofl:

I also built roof on top of my balcony.

Hack the wall and remove the door, then extend my living all the way to Balcony.

Its pretty cool if you going to feature plasma TV on the wall cause you have a long wall.

Hope it help :bangwall:

Have fun everybody. :bangwall:

I am also considering building a roof on top of the balcony but my ideal is to have a flat base over head such that I can extend some storage place from the master bed room. Any body do that before?

Can sombody please advises is this feasible? :dunno:

Very risky and I dont think HDB will ever approve it.

I think no extension of floor allowed.

I think it was written on the approval letter from HDB for the renovation. :furious:

bought my EM in Hougang. We were convinced by the amount of space and my kids love the place (we have seen anything from 4A to 5A, 5I to EAs ... conditions were really terrible).

as the last transacted price was logged at 378k, it was tough to offer anything below.

our first offer was 30k which was not accepted.

anyway, going to exercise my option next week. cest la vie :bangwall: Done Deal already.

will hv to compromise on my reno and postpone whatever works that can be done at a later stage.

Let my experience be a reference to future EM buyers, especially at current market conditions.

Oh dear, Hougang. :furious: Is it near the central, at least?

Well, to offer you some comfort, I know someone who sold her EM (Block 851) in 1999 (I think) for $390k. It probably cost even higher in 1996/7. So, your price may not be the highest. Not the peak of the peak. Hougang is a nice place to live. Hello88 and MaCe are in Hougang.

So if you want to know if you had pay too much or not, can go to the site and select your location and view the transaction price of it. Just a suggestion for making judgement :bangwall:

I thought the resale transaction price INcludes the cash on valuation, i.e. it's the total price (valuation and cash on valuation)?

Oh dear, Hougang. :notti: Is it near the central, at least?

Well, to offer you some comfort, I know someone who sold her EM (Block 851) in 1999 (I think) for $390k. It probably cost even higher in 1996/7. So, your price may not be the highest. Not the peak of the peak. Hougang is a nice place to live. Hello88 and MaCe are in Hougang.

I thought the resale transaction price INcludes the cash on valuation, i.e. it's the total price (valuation and cash on valuation)?

wow, Homeowner, u got good memories...ya, me in Hougang.

$390k considered ok. I think during that time, ie 1998-1999, EM were going for more than $450k and after seeing a few, we decided not to get an EM.

Blossom0501, where' syours in Hougang?

Just to share

Utility room/study room:

i think many EM owners knocked down the utility room/study room on 1st storey to accommodate the dining area. I kept mine cos need a place to store all the toys. It'll also double up as a maid's room if i can afford a maid in the near future.

air-con:

btw, what are yr air con combinations like? I only go for system 3 for the 3 bedrooms as the electricial loading not enough for the living room to be aircon-ed. Furthermore, I kept my balcony so it'll need at least 2 units for the living room/dining room.