Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Just to add - I am collecting my keys on Oct 23.

My initial plan was to get the contractor to apply for reno permit on the same day - but I am still shopping for contractors :P At the rate things are going, plus i need to 'slog' in my new job, can only pray to find a reasonable quote soon, and hopefully can move in by mid Dec.

Question: Do we apply for PUB immediately? Can apply thro internet?

So 23rd Oct is your 2nd appt? Cant recall whether u have to or can choose to apply PUB a/c on 2nd appt. Also need to buy the mandatory fire insurance (only cover the walls of our EM :fire: ) so best is to go earlier and queue for the fire insurance and PUB a/c. I believe u cld move in by Dec & celebrate Xmas since u only doing minor reno. Good luck! :thumbs up:

Edited by hello88

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Just to add - I am collecting my keys on Oct 23.

My initial plan was to get the contractor to apply for reno permit on the same day - but I am still shopping for contractors :P At the rate things are going, plus i need to 'slog' in my new job, can only pray to find a reasonable quote soon, and hopefully can move in by mid Dec.

Question: Do we apply for PUB immediately? Can apply thro internet?

PUB no hurry, but insurance - since you are there might as well pay for it - i think $9 or $5 only.

PUB no hurry, but insurance - since you are there might as well pay for it - i think $9 or $5 only.

Fire insurance for the walls - this is something new. Thanks for the tip.

We are not going to HDB personally to complete the transaction as the lawyers will be doing it on our behalf (took a bank loan). Agent will collecting the keys and passing to me tomorrow evening. I am trying to pack as many contractors' viewing as possible for tomorrow evening. Just read somewhere on the forum that some people approached 20+ contractors/IDs for quotes. :furious: We are already exhausted after going thro 5 and now, re-starting the process again. :bow: The road is long ......

:deal:

I have a good and reliable contractor to recommend to do paintwork. He quoted me $1700 for a masionette. I have used him to do paintwork for my office, and feel that his worker's workmanship for painting is good. Dont have patches, and he is reliable. My mother also used him to renovate her house.

anyway, if you want his contact, email me at adel_06@yahoo.com as i dont want to be seen as advertising.

Fire insurance for the walls - this is something new. Thanks for the tip.

yup, its just a very basic plan which only covers the building structure and it exclude reno or all household contents. That's y it cost only slightly more than $9 for 5-yrs coverage for EM. For those who are kiasu and kiasi then u can opt to get your household content insured. I'm one of them because I've a very careless neighbhour next door who left the food cooking on the stove a couple of times....luckily came back in time and they also tend to 'invite' potential burglars by leaving their door n windows open. So I'm worried that the burglars might also save the trip by breaking into my house if a burglar really decided to break in one of these days. So do get a slightly more comprehensive fire/house insurance as it also covers your pet, locks, alternative accommodation, worldwide insured when u go overseas, water pipe burst, loss of keys, loss of ATM card, etc. If something happened to your house and u kena sued by your neighbour then u can also claim from the insurance.

still looking for storage space. Saw that most of you, your storage area is under the staircase. Any feedback on this kind of store area? And how much to do them?

Yantzen,

Store area quite big. I put all my cleaning stuff and some baby barang that I'm still trying to clear. :sport-smiley-004: Mine's left behind by previous owner. Made of plywood. Most would suggest that you create a store using gypsum board or carpentry. Removable, thin and cheaper.

Yantzen,

Store area quite big. I put all my cleaning stuff and some baby barang that I'm still trying to clear. :dancingqueen: Mine's left behind by previous owner. Made of plywood. Most would suggest that you create a store using gypsum board or carpentry. Removable, thin and cheaper.

thanks man. Will do that when the bonus kicks in in 2 months time... hahah

Hi all

Glad to join the ranks of "mansionette owners". I just purchased a 21 year old em at Bt Gombak (154m2) last night. :dancingqueen:

Looking forward to seeking your advice on my upcoming reno in Feb!

lynnette

Hi guys,

"Disappeared" for a while - have been busy toggling between work and shopping for contractors .. (still shopping till not :( ) Realised that it is not good to start on a new job and go thro the process of searching for contractors / furnishings etc.

Just want some feedback on this quote I have .. tis is a so-called more "reasonable" quote i have received so far:

1. Labor to hack floor n wall tiles - kitchen 1100

2. Labor to hack floor n wall tiles - 2 toilets 900

3. Labor to hack sink n stove n existing kitchen cabinets - 300

4. Labor to hack existing built in TV cabinet in living - 200

5. Labor & material to lay tiles at kitchen - 850

6. Labor & material to lay tiles at 2 bathroom - 700

7. Labor & material to lay full ht wall tiles at kitchen - 2200

8. Labor & material to lay full ht wall tiles at 2 bathrooms - 2400

9. Labor & material to change stainless steel piping for 2 bathrooms - 580

10. Labor & material to install L:48ft kitchen cabinet using solid laminated plywood with ABS trimming - 4320

11. Labor & material to install L:23ft granite top (china) - 1840

12. Labor & material to construct kitchen base - 180

13. Labor & material to construct fridge base - 160

Appreciate any feedback.

Am still waiting for the quote from Ho Bee - it's already more than 1 week .. :(

Cheers.

How about the water proofing?

the stuipd water proofing in kitchen, toilets and balcancy alone cost me $800 plus

I was quoted very expensive for the tiles laying .. :unsure: stuck with the contractor.

hate it. :dunno:

spend so much $$ but the house stilll look so old..

Hate it..

How about the water proofing?

the stuipd water proofing in kitchen, toilets and balcancy alone cost me $800 plus

I was quoted very expensive for the tiles laying .. :curse: stuck with the contractor.

hate it. :curse:

spend so much $$ but the house stilll look so old..

Hate it..

dropping the quote fm the previous ID and opting for another one. Hubby likes the new ID and the guy has been pretty accommodating to date - esp with the number of changes / additions / FOCs. Gone thro 4 quotes already and still changing, and last nite, hubby still wanna change - now thinking of erecting the roof top in the balcony so that we can have a larger living space to put the sofa and his precious massage chair :) i was really :curse::curse::fire: i had to give up my granite kitchen counter-top n my sliding glass doors for the bathrooms so that he can have his white powder coated balcony doors. ding dong for 2 weeks and we still have not started reno :yamseng:

Current ID is quoting us $280 for kitchen, 2 bathrooms and balcony 3-step water proofing, but he marked up on the hacking costs - $2.8k to hack the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, balcony, 4 sets of built-in cabinets. Still waiting for his "final" quote.

dropping the quote fm the previous ID and opting for another one. Hubby likes the new ID and the guy has been pretty accommodating to date - esp with the number of changes / additions / FOCs. Gone thro 4 quotes already and still changing, and last nite, hubby still wanna change - now thinking of erecting the roof top in the balcony so that we can have a larger living space to put the sofa and his precious massage chair :) i was really :curse::curse::curse: i had to give up my granite kitchen counter-top n my sliding glass doors for the bathrooms so that he can have his white powder coated balcony doors. ding dong for 2 weeks and we still have not started reno :yamseng:

Current ID is quoting us $280 for kitchen, 2 bathrooms and balcony 3-step water proofing, but he marked up on the hacking costs - $2.8k to hack the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, balcony, 4 sets of built-in cabinets. Still waiting for his "final" quote.

Hi blossom0501,

One way to save a bit on mark-ups would be to engage your own roofing contractor instead of letting your ID handle the co-ordination. After all, roofing works is pretty straightforward and just takes 1-2 days. That's what I did to save some as well. My roofing works (clay roof tiles, painted grey) cost $1.8k and the workmanship was pretty good (even my main contractor commended the finishing!). Btw, if you are erecting the roof at the balcony, then wouldn't it make sense to do away with the balcony doors since it would break up the space even further? Unless of course you don't intend to have windows in place (which would mean that the massage chair would get wet!).

Edited by tristesse

Hi blossom0501,

One way to save a bit on mark-ups would be to engage your own roofing contractor instead of letting your ID handle the co-ordination. After all, roofing works is pretty straightforward and just takes 1-2 days. That's what I did to save some as well. My roofing works (clay roof tiles, painted grey) cost $1.8k and the workmanship was pretty good (even my main contractor commended the finishing!). Btw, if you are erecting the roof at the balcony, then wouldn't it make sense to do away with the balcony doors since it would break up the space even further? Unless of course you don't intend to have windows in place (which would mean that the massage chair would get wet!).

Hi Tristesse,

I am resisting the roof works as I have so many plans for the balcony - Alfresco dining, my kids' play area for play dough and messy stuff, small planting area (for my kids to plant bean sprouts n money plant :P ), back-up laundry drying area etc. This reno is going to burn a big hole in our wallet. Really going to end up eating plain porridge with soy sauce at the rate hubby is adding the reno works.

PS. Can PM yr roofing works contact to me?

:yamseng:

Hi Tristesse,

I am resisting the roof works as I have so many plans for the balcony - Alfresco dining, my kids' play area for play dough and messy stuff, small planting area (for my kids to plant bean sprouts n money plant :sport-smiley-004: ), back-up laundry drying area etc. This reno is going to burn a big hole in our wallet. Really going to end up eating plain porridge with soy sauce at the rate hubby is adding the reno works.

PS. Can PM yr roofing works contact to me?

:sport-smiley-004:

:bleah: soccer pitch for my son too