Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Does anyone actually do reno or move house during the 'ghost month'? Hmm.

I renovated during ghost month. Started renovation before ghost month and moved in after ghost month. Think case by case bah? Best to check with fsm if u are particular about it.

From the look of it, my ronavation will start before and ends during ghost month. And the place will be empty for a while before moving in.

I renovated during ghost month. Started renovation before ghost month and moved in after ghost month. Think case by case bah? Best to check with fsm if u are particular about it.

Same case as mine. My first appt will be in may so second will be roughly july.

After that handover key to my friend to reno. Told him to take his time no need rush cos its ghost month and dun intend to move in so only until sept then move in after the ghost month.

Hi EM owners! Compiled some inspirational renovations that have appeared on Home & Decor mag HERE.

:sport-smiley-004:

Hi. Newbie here and just join the Reno talk forum.

Brought a EM along Hougang ave 6 and took over in Jsnuary 2012. The valued $570K and paid a COV of $60k.

About 10 mins walk to Hougang MRT and Hougang Mall.

Just began the renovation process

1. Hack the lower floor complete flooring

2. Hack kitchen wall and rebuilt to extend the wall

3. Hack the 2nd level common toilet wall and floor tiles.

4. Re-instate back the balcony area.

5. Re-instate back by re-built the untitly room

6. Re-built back the store room under the stairs.

7.. Homo tiles 1.2m by 0.6m to untitly room, dining, living and kitchen flooring.

8. Over lay floor tiles to 1st level toilet and MBR toilet.

9. Change new wall tiles and floor tiles of 600 by 300 mm In the 2nd level common toilet

10. False ceiling and cove lights panel in the 3 bedrooms, common toilet, dining room, living room and the common areas outside the bedrooms.

11. New frameless glass panel doors at the balcony.

12. New tiles in wood texture at the balcony.

13. Replace the kitchen windows new.

14. Ex-owner has erected the roof at the balcony which we have decided to stay and just to remove the windows.

15. New stainless steel pipings.

16. New kitchen cabinetry.

17. Full height cabinets of 5 ft width to house shoes and other items that is multi purpose storage.

18. Common toilet mirror cabinet and vanity top

19. Common toilet stand shower glass door.

The above mentioned items was quoted at 42K.

Other expenses

1. Bosch domino gas hob single burner for wok $1299

2. Bosch domino gas hob double burner $1199

3. Bosch oven $999

4. Bosch hood 90cm $1499

5. Grohe rain shower 2 sets each @$750

6. 3 WC @268, 280 and 480 each.

7. MBR basin with ready made cabinet 600mn width $480

8. Common toilet basin $200

9. PD door which we confirm by ourselves at close to 2K for 4 doors @ 3 toilets and kitchen.

10. Storage water heater $280

11. Instant water heater with rain shower $350

12. Electrical works done by my cousin about $500 for the materials.

The list shall goes on ............

Seems extensive. Think my Reno should be along that line too. Where did u find your id/contractor?

Hi. Newbie here and just join the Reno talk forum.

Brought a EM along Hougang ave 6 and took over in Jsnuary 2012. The valued $570K and paid a COV of $60k.

About 10 mins walk to Hougang MRT and Hougang Mall.

Just began the renovation process

1. Hack the lower floor complete flooring

2. Hack kitchen wall and rebuilt to extend the wall

3. Hack the 2nd level common toilet wall and floor tiles.

4. Re-instate back the balcony area.

5. Re-instate back by re-built the untitly room

6. Re-built back the store room under the stairs.

7.. Homo tiles 1.2m by 0.6m to untitly room, dining, living and kitchen flooring.

8. Over lay floor tiles to 1st level toilet and MBR toilet.

9. Change new wall tiles and floor tiles of 600 by 300 mm In the 2nd level common toilet

10. False ceiling and cove lights panel in the 3 bedrooms, common toilet, dining room, living room and the common areas outside the bedrooms.

11. New frameless glass panel doors at the balcony.

12. New tiles in wood texture at the balcony.

13. Replace the kitchen windows new.

14. Ex-owner has erected the roof at the balcony which we have decided to stay and just to remove the windows.

15. New stainless steel pipings.

16. New kitchen cabinetry.

17. Full height cabinets of 5 ft width to house shoes and other items that is multi purpose storage.

18. Common toilet mirror cabinet and vanity top

19. Common toilet stand shower glass door.

The above mentioned items was quoted at 42K.

Other expenses

1. Bosch domino gas hob single burner for wok $1299

2. Bosch domino gas hob double burner $1199

3. Bosch oven $999

4. Bosch hood 90cm $1499

5. Grohe rain shower 2 sets each @$750

6. 3 WC @268, 280 and 480 each.

7. MBR basin with ready made cabinet 600mn width $480

8. Common toilet basin $200

9. PD door which we confirm by ourselves at close to 2K for 4 doors @ 3 toilets and kitchen.

10. Storage water heater $280

11. Instant water heater with rain shower $350

12. Electrical works done by my cousin about $500 for the materials.

The list shall goes on ............

I decided on the final 20 items to renovate and written in detail and description as template for the 7 ID and contractors to quote.

With this standard template method is the apple to apple comparison and there would be no such thing as usually contractors or ID would said "my tile is bigger or the other quoted is smaller tile or per sq ft is more expensive tile used" etc etc.

Lowest quoted is 39K to as high as 50K for the same 20 said items.

Tried my hands on the online software - floor planner since I have a lot of time at hand. Renovation will not start till mid July. The reno ideas I have is shown in the link below:

http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p548/axelc/

You have to imagine there is a staircase (didn't know how to draw) and the measurement is not accurate :-P

Appreciate any feedback - are there any concerns which I need to take note of?

Seems extensive. Think my Reno should be along that line too. Where did u find your id/contractor?

Edited by AxelC

Tried my hands on the online software - floor planner since I have a lot of time at hand. Renovation will not start till mid July. The reno ideas I have is shown in the link below:

http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p548/axelc/

You have to imagine there is a staircase (didn't know how to draw) and the measurement is not accurate :-P

Appreciate any feedback - are there any concerns which I need to take note of?

Hi AxelC

Maybe this method shall save you all the trouble from using the computer to draw.

You can purchase the floor plan via HDB website at $5.

This floor plan is to scale 1cm : 1m.

1) HDB shall sent you a soft copy.

2) keep the soft copy in your hard disk

3) print out a hard copy

4) blanko out the areas that you have in mind to do up

5) using the scale ratio 1cm : 1m plot your layout with a pencil.

6) do write down a list of specific details items that you like to do before meeting any contractor or ID. With this apple to apple method you can gauge roughly whom is more reasonable.

7) basically and usually, the ID or contractor questions are

A. how many people staying in the unit?.

B. Any older folks?

C. Open concept kitchen?

D. Need more storage?

E. Replace flooring to all areas?

F. What are the areas to replace cabinetry?

G. Budget?

FYI

The big ticket items are

1. The hacking works

2. The type of flooring tiles eg marble or granite

3. The complete staircase works

4. The cabinetry works.

5. The wall tiling work to the toilets

6. To built a roof at the balcony area or recess area.

Earlier before embarking on my renovation, went to simei xpo interior decor fair and approach a xxx ID firm and their designers came down to my EM and commented to suggest all areas and items has to replace. They subsequently brought me to see an ongoing EM project in Bedok which the owner paid a $150K reno bill when I asked him on the total cost.

I look at the whole EM and could not figure out how was the 150k spent as the complete lower level flooring was using cement screet.

His decor concept was loft and industrial look with all the wires and cable exposed in cable trunking overhead and around the house. Looks kind of messy.

These xxx ID designers even mentioned that their charges are higher because they have a team of in house contractors and their designs are exclusive. Anyway their loft decor does not suit me.

Their quotes for my homo tiles flooring is already double in pricing when comparing with other quotes. They quoted close to 80K for about the same amount of reno items now being carried out.

Since then I start to realize that does mean to spent more $$$ shall have your house look nice. Designer can come up with designs that you have to bear for the years which you be living in and in the worst case scenario if the design does not fit you.

The current ID company which i engaged seem to be just doing ok.

Their pricing so far in my opinion do seem reasonable as I'm using the apple to apple comparison formula.

Have yet to see the final completion work.....

Better not to recommend you before I test them out.....

Exman,

I just dropped you a PM. :-)

Hi AxelC

Maybe this method shall save you all the trouble from using the computer to draw.

You can purchase the floor plan via HDB website at $5.

This floor plan is to scale 1cm : 1m.

1) HDB shall sent you a soft copy.

2) keep the soft copy in your hard disk

3) print out a hard copy

4) blanko out the areas that you have in mind to do up

5) using the scale ratio 1cm : 1m plot your layout with a pencil.

6) do write down a list of specific details items that you like to do before meeting any contractor or ID. With this apple to apple method you can gauge roughly whom is more reasonable.

7) basically and usually, the ID or contractor questions are

A. how many people staying in the unit?.

B. Any older folks?

C. Open concept kitchen?

D. Need more storage?

E. Replace flooring to all areas?

F. What are the areas to replace cabinetry?

G. Budget?

FYI

The big ticket items are

1. The hacking works

2. The type of flooring tiles eg marble or granite

3. The complete staircase works

4. The cabinetry works.

5. The wall tiling work to the toilets

6. To built a roof at the balcony area or recess area.

Earlier before embarking on my renovation, went to simei xpo interior decor fair and approach a xxx ID firm and their designers came down to my EM and commented to suggest all areas and items has to replace. They subsequently brought me to see an ongoing EM project in Bedok which the owner paid a $150K reno bill when I asked him on the total cost.

I look at the whole EM and could not figure out how was the 150k spent as the complete lower level flooring was using cement screet.

His decor concept was loft and industrial look with all the wires and cable exposed in cable trunking overhead and around the house. Looks kind of messy.

These xxx ID designers even mentioned that their charges are higher because they have a team of in house contractors and their designs are exclusive. Anyway their loft decor does not suit me.

Their quotes for my homo tiles flooring is already double in pricing when comparing with other quotes. They quoted close to 80K for about the same amount of reno items now being carried out.

Since then I start to realize that does mean to spent more $$$ shall have your house look nice. Designer can come up with designs that you have to bear for the years which you be living in and in the worst case scenario if the design does not fit you.

The current ID company which i engaged seem to be just doing ok.

Their pricing so far in my opinion do seem reasonable as I'm using the apple to apple comparison formula.

Have yet to see the final completion work.....

Better not to recommend you before I test them out.....

Hi AxelC

Is my pleasure to share knowledge in this forum for now and future EM owners as not to kena chop carrots by contractors or ID.

My email address is vincenttay007@hotmail.com and drop me your personal queries any time.