Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Summersan which part of yishun u bit ur em? I also recently purchased an em at yishun khatib area cov there was quite high i got my em at cov 58k

We were looking at the Yishun Khatib area too! Might have viewed the unit you bought maybe! :D The COVs for EMs are getting rather high. We looked at so many places, all asking for 80-100k, some even over 100k. Thought we were running out of luck and started looking at EAs too. But still as expensive. So when we got to Yishun, the prices seemed so much better :P

We got one closer to Yishun in the end. About 10mins walk away! Not very near, but a leisurely walk/a quick bus to Yishun MRT I guess!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I see this thread getting more active now...woot woot! Can't wait for my 2nd appoitment this end october to consider mysekf a fully pledged EM owner...( and to start my own reno blog to share my ren journey...been a silent reader for many months..so thankful to other forummers for the great advise n inputs here)

Talking bout COV, hubby and I almost gave up hope when sourcing for EM. Our preferred area were definitely the east side, namely Tampines or Pasir Ris..considering hubby working place is near and also for a unit near MRT as I prefer to travel by Train to work.. I was disheartened when most of the units we went asking, for COV above $60K and all units requires major overhaul.. so $60K plus reno?? Hubby almost gave up and wanted to settle for a tampines unit who is asking for $60K then.. but unit was fully renovated (designer reno comes with glass railing stairs , WIW etc... ) value + COV about close $700K (jawdrop!!) And unit is only close to one bus stop that only serve 1 feeder bus to interchange?? A no no for me!!! Told hubby let just wait coz i really not keen with the area..we went for a couple of viewing and still these owners asking for $70K above.. hubby told my agent to check with the last owner to see if the designer reno unit is SOLD and to our surprise the owner's agent informed last COV offer was $85K.. so $90K to seal the deal..so for me bye bye to that unit..tho unit is fully reno it is not up to my taste and location wise was totally out of the way for me.We ended up not viewing any units in Pasir Ris as all also asking $70K above which adds up to the unit price above $700K??

Hubby and I were lucky that our last unit viewed was errmm my dream home.. :) as i wanted a gen2 layout because i love the big squared blacony that links the kitchen living room to have that outdoor feel..lucky enuff My agent found a unit along Tampines Ave 5...unit was marketed for close to 6months but it juz like any other EM owners who wanted to sell of with high COV but they do not manage to get a buyer...so owner finally decided to let go @ $35K COV and selling price @ $660K nett..my agent requested for revaluation as it had expired .and lucky us...value when up $5K..so $30K for us for a unit in Tampines Ave 5..personally i think a Super good deal for us!! Unit is @ corridor end with a big space along corridor should there be any function..mid floor with new lifts (lift upgrading..current EM lifts are usually those in the middle of the block) just outside our unit..so i do not have to pass by my neighbour unit to go home...bus stop at the foot of the block..bus links to interchange..and many parts of sg..like geylang (mom favourite,orchard,parkway,harbour front just to name a few..else there's always MRT) initially Hubby wanted to get a private condo but i was not so into the idea due to its small size unit and some othet factors.. so swimming and sports hall? Yes from this EM unit is just a few minute walking distance..the new sports hub is currently in progress next door..upgrading around the vicinity is currently is also in progress...malls within walkin distance and the with the new DTL3 coming in 2016 i think..what more can i ask for.. so yes..just for $30K.. and of course a full overhaul expected ard $70-$80K but to my design ideas n concept ..definitely a super good deal.. happy happy me..

You must have viewed a lot of places! We did it on our own without an agent. Boy was that difficult. A lot of selling agents weren't even eager to meet up with us :furious:

Congrats on your key collection soon! We still have to wait for the first appointment in November. So far away :bleah:

Have fun with the ID search! We're totally getting a headache deciding on who to engage.

Ic my hubby don't wanna get out of khatib so no choice for me.. I notice that nearer to yishun mrt price of em is more attractive.. And so limited em on sale at yishun

Ic my hubby don't wanna get out of khatib so no choice for me.. I notice that nearer to yishun mrt price of em is more attractive.. And so limited em on sale at yishun

There is a limited supply of EM in NE too....no one seems to be selling. I notice many of the EMs are aging, like mine was build in the mid eighties ..... I wonder if there is any possibility of en bloc?

There is a limited supply of EM in NE too....no one seems to be selling. I notice many of the EMs are aging, like mine was build in the mid eighties ..... I wonder if there is any possibility of en bloc?

2-3 units in our opposite block changed hands in the past year...... I guess those who want to sell, already have. Those who just bought, have an MOP to see out. I also wondered about en bloc - if we were to be en bloc-ed would we get back a similar size or forced to downgrade, and on what sort of a "compensation" package? Personally, the value of EM areas is not just within the unit, but the relatively lower population density in the neighbourhood and the way the estate itself is laid out. I do not like the densely packed new estates that have floor-to-ceiling windows that are nice in themselves but so close to the neighbouring block that you have to keep curtains drawn, or rooms so small that you can have a bed, a wardrobe and nothing else. An en bloc, imho would be a downgrade in quality of living despite a new 99 year lease and new unit.

You also raise a valid point about age - new EM owners should be mindful that there will be problems like water seepage, cracks, old wiring, etc. which are unexpected costs. Try to get these sorted out during renovation and spend a bit more to do it properly. I've had to chase pipe leakage, wall seepage, and roof leaking (mine is the top floor unit) during my 1.5 years living here.

You must have viewed a lot of places! We did it on our own without an agent. Boy was that difficult. A lot of selling agents weren't even eager to meet up with us :furious:

Congrats on your key collection soon! We still have to wait for the first appointment in November. So far away :bleah:

Have fun with the ID search! We're totally getting a headache deciding on who to engage.

Thanks am super excited..u know..gotta admit it's been like my childhood dream to own EM someday.. lol! Used to stay in 3NG in Tampines too back then..(since born till sec 1) Then me n sis will be standing at the kitchen window admiring those EM owners opposite our blk.. lol!! We got excited seeing them going in their unit.. how funny!! The kid me then..hahaha!!

Been to couple ID to recce for quotations.. and Chew interior is definitely out...ID was very laid back.. and insisted that we need to pay $1K for quotation?? I can definitely understand $1k for 3D coz it is a bit of work n time designing n such..but for quotation??And as soon as hubby purporsely said no particular budget ID happily said.."oh that is better n very ez for us... for EM easily about $90K for total overhaul.."

We wanted Ciseern..ID was very professional and very accomodating to our timing and explained things very clearly.. but price is way on the high side.. :(

Then it was -...ID was ok initially.. and when we said we wanted to go home n think about it.. he happily said oh madam..so this must be ur no.X ID company right..check here check there want to compare price... i was like of coz we have to check here n there coz we have to find one who is good n of course that suits or budget..duh!! ID started msging me to come n see quotation but i was pissed by the ID attitude..

Oh yes we got our ID already... and from start till this point i must say he is a very committed in his work.. and always giving fresh ideas and advise us on the praticality things to have in the home and also helps us saves $$.. if he thinks the stuff that we want is not necessary.. tho its still up to us in the end.. and yes he been very punctual for all meet ups.. but then again.. not a final say yet.. as reno work yet to start...

Edited by salseraritz

2-3 units in our opposite block changed hands in the past year...... I guess those who want to sell, already have. Those who just bought, have an MOP to see out. I also wondered about en bloc - if we were to be en bloc-ed would we get back a similar size or forced to downgrade, and on what sort of a "compensation" package? Personally, the value of EM areas is not just within the unit, but the relatively lower population density in the neighbourhood and the way the estate itself is laid out. I do not like the densely packed new estates that have floor-to-ceiling windows that are nice in themselves but so close to the neighbouring block that you have to keep curtains drawn, or rooms so small that you can have a bed, a wardrobe and nothing else. An en bloc, imho would be a downgrade in quality of living despite a new 99 year lease and new unit.

You also raise a valid point about age - new EM owners should be mindful that there will be problems like water seepage, cracks, old wiring, etc. which are unexpected costs. Try to get these sorted out during renovation and spend a bit more to do it properly. I've had to chase pipe leakage, wall seepage, and roof leaking (mine is the top floor unit) during my 1.5 years living here.

Hi Cleong

Some thing to add on seepages. If is the roof leaking (which is the top floor if the block) and wall seepage that the town council is obligated and responsible to repair and made good for the owners. In the case of EM that if the seepage is in your kitchen that means the upper level toilets is leaking that is the owner has to repair by themselves.

For the case of the EM units upper level seepage (bedroom floor) shall be a 50/50 repair cost split between the 2 EM owners...

Btw any owner had done a storage or hidden room at the balcony? I ever see an owner of a 2nd gen em build an addition platform at the balcony.. I only see from outside as that unit is at the ground floor

We were previously looking at the Hougang area as well. But you're totally right, the sellers there are all looking for COVs around that price. One even told us 100k COV, no less. The unit wasn't even near the MRT, and was ground floor :unsure:

So we eventually gave up and turned to another area. At least now we have $$ left to renovate the house :P

Yes..finally got the OTP for a 25yrs EM...lucky the early 68k offer get rejected :bleah: if not won't be able to got this EM at a much lower price...now the extra $$ can use for a better house renov.... :D God is good to us...one closed door lead to another better entrance :bow:

Hi fatfatfamily

Congrats !!

Care to share which area/blk of Jurong west you bought and COV paid? Thanks thanks

Thanks spikedoll!

It is at st 42 Blk 400+ paid 45k cov. It is a corner unit with recess area, 1st owner, so needs a major overhaul!

All the best to u:)

Edited by FatFatFamily

Thanks spikedoll!

It is at st 42 Blk 400+ paid 45k cov. It is a corner unit with recess area, 1st owner, so needs a major overhaul!

Major overhaul! We're totally feeling the heartache looking at the quotations we've gotten from the IDs we like :bleah:

Thanks spikedoll!

Omg!!! Corner unit with recess is so rare!!!! U so lucky!!!! And the COV is reasonable !!! High low floor?

Major overhaul! We're totally feeling the heartache looking at the quotations we've gotten from the IDs we like :bleah:

Summersann, hope everything will work out well for u. I m sure it will be an interesting reno journey for u.

Same here... all quotations above 70K but I think its abt there for overhual. Had bad experience with IDs so now working directly with contractor.