Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi all, i just bought an EM at BP... we are renovating it now after 1st appt coz house is vacant. found out yesterday from neighbors that the house is vacant for 20years and the wife jumped off the balcony. i am so angry coz i am cheated by the seller. he said he moved out a couple of years ago and he rented the place out. but its all a lie. i am not bothered by spirits/ghosts. its not about that. its i'm furious i am being cheated. so angry. an EM is our dream but how to live in that house. i feel suddenly so uncomfy. the best part is, i overpaid for the house. 53k COV.. madness.. n the bugger made 600k from lying to me. what should i do?

hi all, i just bought an EM at BP... we are renovating it now after 1st appt coz house is vacant. found out yesterday from neighbors that the house is vacant for 20years and the wife jumped off the balcony. i am so angry coz i am cheated by the seller. he said he moved out a couple of years ago and he rented the place out. but its all a lie. i am not bothered by spirits/ghosts. its not about that. its i'm furious i am being cheated. so angry. an EM is our dream but how to live in that house. i feel suddenly so uncomfy. the best part is, i overpaid for the house. 53k COV.. madness.. n the bugger made 600k from lying to me. what should i do?

Hi

Sorry to hear about that. I was looking at bukit Panjang as well during my initial house hunting. Care to share which blk? U can PM me.

If you feel uncomfy, you may want hire some religious teachers / priests to help perform some blessing or cleansing for your new home to get rid of negative energies.

I'm not at ease but not because of ghosts. But more because I was cheated. I think there's only 1 block at BPRR with EM. I'm thinking of not buying but that might cost me about 20k! I'm sure none of u or sane mind people will buy the place 53k over value if u knew. =(

The EM are all asking 80-100k COV when we viewed units in The west. There was this unit in jelapang road which is vacant. Agent said owner already moved out but not sure why. The place look ok so so renovated but not to our liking.. Worst part is we saw a fresh red paint probably done by loansharks on the wall few doors away. I did a check and a schoolgirl commit suicide in that block but that's not really bothering us.

If you really feel uncomfortable u might want to consider giving up ( but high price to pay) or just move in stay till u are able to sell off ? Just do simple Reno stay put first. I'm not sure if you are able to appeal. Perhaps you can seek legal advice if you are able to drop out.

For those who did glass railing, did you fill the gaps between the glass panels with silicon? I am looking for clear silicon (not off white, translucent type).

Nothing much u can do about it, unless u want to forfeit sales transaction and lose $ and risk being sue.

Your 53k COV is just about market rate.

Since u r not brother by the spirits thingy, just move on, look at the bright side, enjoy the reno and enjoy your stay.

Maybe after MOP, u can sell for a profit too....

Edited by chronograph

For those who did glass railing, did you fill the gaps between the glass panels with silicon? I am looking for clear silicon (not off white, translucent type).

Hi AxelC

Though I did not done the glass panel railing and to feedback my views on your query that my opinion would be clear silicon should be better.

As the glass is also clear in your case that clear silicon shall compliment the end result if use to fill the gap.

Should a white color type is use to fill the gap which shall look very obvious against the clear glass.

Btw is there any EM as small as 138sqm n as big as 243sqm? Where can we find the big ones?

Compiled a list based on EMs for sale or rent:

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/pasir-ris-hdb-maisonettes-with-sky-terraces/

Am guessing large ones are the Spottiswoode Park penthouses. Those point blocks behind the Tanjong Pagar Railway Station.

Dunno where the small ones are... 5 room model A perhaps?

Some news on how HDB unit being valued

Foo Jie Ying

The New Paper

Friday, Oct 19, 2012

PERSONAL insults are common in his line of work.

"When we send a fresh graduate, they (the home owners) say that she is young, 'blur' and inexperienced.

"But when we send an experienced lady, they ask us why we are sending an 'aunty'," said Mr Eric Tan, chief executive officer of real estate appraisal company GSK Global.

The company offers valuation services for HDB flats as well as other aspects of real estate consultation.

The 44-year-old said it is common for home owners to resort to insults and threats to raise the value of their flats.

"Once, there was a home owner who called 10 times in a day to ask to increase the value of his flat," Mr Tan revealed.

For HDB flats, valuers derive a value by comparing the previous transactions that have occurred in the area.

A valuer is assigned at random to assess the flat's value after receiving a completed request form with payment from the flat owner.

Other factors then come into play: the renovation the flat has undergone, the view, the storey the flat is located on, and how many units there are on the same level.

Going through the checklist of these different factors, the valuer then makes adjustments to determine the flat's value.

The valuation report is usually ready within two weeks of the valuer's visit.

If the flat owner is not satisfied with the valuer's quote, he or she can appeal against the valuation report.

Foo Jie Ying

The New Paper

Friday, Oct 19, 2012

HDB will then assign a new valuer for the flat.

But the factors mentioned by Mr Tan are only guidelines when it comes to putting a price to a unit.

Mr Tan, who has been in the line for 20 years, said this is when experience matters.

"There are no hard and fast rules for this," he added.

He cited an example of the varying views on different levels, which can result in bigger jumps in the value of a flat.

The lack of clear rules for valuers also mean that valuation becomes subjective, Mr Tan conceded. "There is no one 'correct' price when it comes to valuation. It's not a matter of right or wrong," said Mr Tan.

"But the difference in the values should not be too great, especially when there are other previous transactions for reference," he added.

Get The New Paper for more stories.

Some news on how HDB unit being valued

For HDB flats, valuers derive a value by comparing the previous transactions that have occurred in the area.

A valuer is assigned at random to assess the flat's value after receiving a completed request form with payment from the flat owner.

Other factors then come into play: the renovation the flat has undergone, the view, the storey the flat is located on, and how many units there are on the same level.

Going through the checklist of these different factors, the valuer then makes adjustments to determine the flat's value.

Based on the article, it would seem that renovation is already factored into the valuation. If seller asks for a ludicrous COV on account of the renovation, in effect, buyers are paying twice for renovation.

Based on the article, it would seem that renovation is already factored into the valuation. If seller asks for a ludicrous COV on account of the renovation, in effect, buyers are paying twice for renovation.

Yes, renovation is factored into valuation. I have clients who renovate so they can fetch a higher valuation/rental.

If you plan to stay in the house, it is always better to renovate to your own liking as it is highly unlikely that another family has the exact same lifestyle, taste, requirements as your own.

Sellers will chance upon this opportunity to make $$$..... It's the sellers market now...

Btw any owner here engage fengshui for their em? I'm currently waiting for my fsm to come back with his audit report.. So far during the last house visit he only mention I need to install a ceiling fan at the ceiling above the staircase..