Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

JNow that you've already splashed out on COV the best you can do is bite the bullet and keep as much of the original structure that you have got instead of aiming for a full makeover. Keeping the flooring, staircase, windows/grilles will already net you between 10-20k in savings. Some people keep the existing airconditioning and that's a 4k savings right there (that you don't have to buy a new system 4 aircon). Avoid the temptation to go for cove lighting, spot lights, because electricians charge by the lighting point. Limit your carpentry to the essential. Make your design as simple and easy to build/implement as possible. Time = money. If its easy to build the contractor can do it faster and possibly charge you less. Costly ideas like building an island kitchen sink/cabinet, funny staircase glass designs (I am guilty of that), shifting entrances, knocking down or building walls are relatively speaking more complex and contractors who are unfamiliar would sometimes charge an additional "safety buffer" on the task. Big unit, many windows means more curtains, and you can try to source from Malaysia as it is supposed to be a lot cheaper.

A limited budget means you would have to do a lot of your own legwork to find cheap+good. Getting someone else to do it inevitably means directly or indirectly paying him for his troubles. I sourced my own items such as cabinet handles, door locks, curtains, taps/showers, air con system. Plan on being a regular customer of Ikea, I bought soft-close Rationell door dampers from there for all my cabinet doors instead of buying branded Blums. I did buy them for pull out drawers though.

All good tips. Just to add, best to know what you are buying and whether it's better to walk away...

Since I pretty much replaced everything, here's my rundown of major costs:

(i) Flooring: Examine the flooring - can the flooring be retained? Major big ticket item.

- Marble flooring usually looks great after polishing but if there are deep cracks, then it'll be hard to retain. I believe flooring is considered in valuation. So if you need to hack away the flooring, that is one huge expense.

- Parquet can usually be repaired unless they are totally rotten. If there is damage on some planks, you can replace those but extensive damage means the whole floor has to be redone. You can't even just lay laminate over cos you can't place laminates over rotten and uneven flooring.

- Laminates... are laminates... so you'll probably need to replace them.

(ii) Windows: Check the condition, hinges, handle, material used.

- Sometimes handles can be changed, and cleaning works wonders.

(iii) Walls: Extremely guilty of that...

- Many walls hacked means higher cost. Hacking walls at the stairway means PE endorsement is needed which means even higher cost.

(iv) Doors: Also guilty.

- Another 4 fig sum if you change all the doors. Don't forget you'll have:

- 3 x bathroom doors

- 4 x bedroom doors

- 1 x main door

- Either 1 or 2 balcony door

(v) False ceilings and spotlights

- A few hundred for each false ceiling per room quickly adds up...

- Lighting points are expensive and add up very quickly.

(vi) Rebuilding walls/replacing with sliding doors/glass

- Easily a few k just for that.

(vii) Concealed electrical/switches

- You need to build partitions or carpentry just for that. Expensive.

(viii) Air-conditioning

- I did the 2 compressors/6 blowers thing. So yeah, another high 4 figs.

(ix) Blinds/curtains

- Agree re: sourcing from neighbouring countries. Another low 4 k sum.

(x) Carpentry

- Can be a killer... that said, really the best way to make use of the space and storage is REALLY IMPORTANT in EMs (cos the store room is pathetic). Some stuff that I think is not necessary:

- Customised bedframe/headboard. Is it really necessary? Cheaper to buy the frame with the mattress. Huge savings, like a low 4 fig sum.

- Cabinets and wardrobe: consider using IKEA measurements, then you can buy IKEA drawers and accessories which really gives you savings. Like this owner did: http://butterpaperstudio.blogspot.sg/2010/08/stirling-hdb-terrace-189-ikea.html

Way cheaper than customising.

- Desks, tv consoles and other items... honestly, store bought ones can be better value and quality. Think about it, you can move your desk/tv console when you move next time, but not the one that has been installed on the wall. Plus the quality is usually better for store bought ones, unless you are lucky to get a really good carpenter. No offense meant to carpenters but it's simply the equipment and economies of scale - factories just have the tools to give smooth finishes and clout to buy solid wood at better prices.

That said, some things cannot be avoided or it just works out cheaper in the long run to replace them...

- electricals - esp re: sufficiency of electrical points.

- pipes

- aircon pipes (esp if you want to minimise/conceal them, best to do during reno rather than wait)

- decent quality faucets and fixtures. A pain to replace if they break down.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

wow, great tips from cleong & adidaem :good:

tats wat i did for my 4rm 5yrs ago at only 10k...only kitchen & master toilet need carpentry works...planning to do the same for my new em...but still thinking whether to change the stairs which i think is in good condition but my CFO(wife) dun like the design....current owner told me tat their air-con only 3yrs old - sys 3 upstairs, still thinking of keeping them or change to sys 4 as CFO must have air-con **** rm :dunno:

Anyone can share with me a gd and not so ex contractor? So far I gotten the quote for my 3 toilets all above 12k just toilet alone with 2 or them have toilet cabinet and shower screen.. I'm desperate for a gd and cheap contractor

Hi adidaem,

can advice on your ceiling fan which i see on your EM block service area, does it give you any wobbly problems? as i'm planning to get one for my double volume area but worried that is too wobbly and i will be scared to sit under it.

Steve

Here you go... freshly taken with iPhone camera so pardon the shaky snaps...

When all coiled up:

photo-27.jpg

Down, but with some ventilation slits:

photo-28.jpg

Fully enclosed:

photo-29.jpg

My 2 ac compressors are in the balcony tho, so it gets unbearably hot in the balcony and toilets if you lower the shutters AND switch on the ac (yeah, we experimented).

Was too lazy to go out in the hot sun to take the external shots but it looks good from the outside. My unit is very distinctively 'white' with the white roller shutters and roller blinds all down. Yeah, white inside out... :D

Guess we'll use the shutters more during the rainy season.

Are you installing in your balcony?

How old are your kids? As much as I like the open feel, I'll be willing to install grills if I have young kids. You just don't want any accidents to happen... Think ok once they are 10-11 yo.

Just to share.

If you think that the flooring is old, do not hesitate to hack and redo everything.

I have to learn the hard way after I moved in, the floor began to crack underneath and pop up one by one. You'll be left with no other choice but to hack.

Reno while living in the house is no joke!

Hi adidaem,

can advice on your ceiling fan which i see on your EM block service area, does it give you any wobbly problems? as i'm planning to get one for my double volume area but worried that is too wobbly and i will be scared to sit under it.

Steve

Not wobbly. Depends on skill of installer I guess...

All good now? Any other changes advised?

FSM says that the spirit should not be there but with the husband n the son at jurong. Advised us to change the layout if the stove from exact center of the house to the side. Also told us to paint living room green for family harmony & mbr pink for marital bliss. Somehow I feel no harm listening to her advice n all we need to purchase is a 葫芦 & 5 coins to embed at the entrance. $125 well spent & she even chose a move in date for us. Will prob get a priest to bless the house & hope like she says we will be safe & happy in the house. I am still feeling a ill apprehensive about the house n have difficulty being excited.. I'm just feeling the need to move in b4 we are chased out of my almost sold flat. Hope hdb approves our change in purchased price soon. Dunno will delay how long.

FSM says that the spirit should not be there but with the husband n the son at jurong. Advised us to change the layout if the stove from exact center of the house to the side. Also told us to paint living room green for family harmony & mbr pink for marital bliss. Somehow I feel no harm listening to her advice n all we need to purchase is a 葫芦 & 5 coins to embed at the entrance. $125 well spent & she even chose a move in date for us. Will prob get a priest to bless the house & hope like she says we will be safe & happy in the house. I am still feeling a ill apprehensive about the house n have difficulty being excited.. I'm just feeling the need to move in b4 we are chased out of my almost sold flat. Hope hdb approves our change in purchased price soon. Dunno will delay how long.

Hi piggicia, at least u r more Xin an now Liao, good for u....:)

Dear EM owners, May I know estimated cost for rewiring whole EM unit? I was told around 5k. Thank you.

U r right that it cost abt 4k to 5k.

A year ago, I hesitated to rewire the whole house n asked my ID if I could retain the existing electrical wires. In the end, we retain the wiring work for the upper floor n changed new ones for the lower floor.

Total cost is 2.8k.

Oh that's great. Yes stove at centre of house is bad, under toilet is bad too. The layout of EMs lends itself to problematic positions by unsuspecting owners.

If you still don't feel good, dunno if you have 'sensitive' friends who can visit your place and have a look? If they give an 'all clear' you will feel better ya? And yes do get someone reliable to bless the house. I hear that some of these temple people have 'third eye' so is good to get them in. Unfortunately I don't have any contacts for that - just stories I hear via friends of friends, etc.

Once you get the house blessed etc you'll grow to appreciate the space in your new place I believe. If not can always move in 5 years. :)