Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

My neighbor completed reno somewhere mid 2012, spent about 70k. Full overhaul.

feeling so stress with getting a contractor..many of them like think em owner very rich all quote high high..sigh..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all, I jus completed my Reno using a contractor. Major overhaul, just retain the second floor n staircase flooring. Total damage include wiring is 74K

Jus make sure u have ample time when using contractor coz u need to be on site often n remind them what u need!

I would say the contractor did a good job. 97% up to my mark.

Do checks, especially on yr carpentry coz they tend to cover the scratches with similiar paint. Haix- I having a full white n glass concept

feeling so stress with getting a contractor..many of them like think em owner very rich all quote high high..sigh..

The fact of the matter is, when they are aware their potential clients can afford six figure COVs and commit to near-million dollar properties, they of course want a slice of the pie lah.

can share how much does it cost for reno of 3 toilets include wall tile, floor tile, waterproofing, shower screen, vanity cabinet and accessories?

May i know opinion from dear EM owners here..what are ur views say....would rather do a major overhaul since u have the $$ now and do a major overhaul for the EM unit now.. which May in future bring up the value of the unit ...with now EM are becoming more in demand...however , the future meaning to say unit will then be 30+ years old and above...

Or would rather make do with the current unit condition and/or do only the necessary reno..

Just curious.. as i tend to have other people commenting... wht bother to do so much when u can save $$... :D dunno if this question sounds silly...but yea... ;)

It also depends on the interior conditions of the EM. Some precious owners may have renovated just below or above 5, 10 or 15 years ago or worst case serenrio since day 1 probably 24 years ago for Gen 1 EM.

There is no one opinion for all the EM new owners.

The 2 main component is the intent length of the stay after buying over as however the biggest component to exercise a major or minor depends on $$$.

Certain statements like a penny wise end up a pound foolish....could be right also as things may fall apart if not change earlier....

So you have to decide leh.....to me the horsepower of the car is from your pockets. With $$$$ in your pockets your walking is just as powerful......

As mentioned by other before. It depend on wat u wan for yr house. Some tiles varies. Get a few quote from the actual contractor or ID. Compare price n work before paying. Please do not pay a single cent before commit or else the money is as if gone!

:) cheers

It also depends on the interior conditions of the EM. Some precious owners may have renovated just below or above 5, 10 or 15 years ago or worst case serenrio since day 1 probably 24 years ago for Gen 1 EM.

There is no one opinion for all the EM new owners.

The 2 main component is the intent length of the stay after buying over as however the biggest component to exercise a major or minor depends on $$$.

Certain statements like a penny wise end up a pound foolish....could be right also as things may fall apart if not change earlier....

So you have to decide leh.....to me the horsepower of the car is from your pockets. With $$$$ in your pockets your walking is just as powerful......

Jus spent as ur pocket n desire can bring u. Don't forget to discuss with yr spouses coz their view matter too!! :)

Full over haul of the toilets? Like the below:

-hacking floor and wall tiles

-supply & lay floor and wall tiles(full height, $3~$4/psf tile)

-supply & install vanity top with cabinet(laminate)

-supply & install shower kerb

-supply & install tempered glass shower screen

-supply & install stainless steel piping

-supply & install toilet bowl

-supply & install basin

-supply & install basin tap and shower tap 2 ways

-water proofing

-supply & install tempered glass toilet door

-supply & install toilet accessories, mirror etc

-install lighting

-install heater

Anything i miss.... include everything above i think 20k plus is quite reasonable.

PM me your contractor.

i got quote for just doing 3 toilets and piping already 20k over..not even by id..

May i know opinion from dear EM owners here..what are ur views say....would rather do a major overhaul since u have the $$ now and do a major overhaul for the EM unit now.. which May in future bring up the value of the unit ...with now EM are becoming more in demand...however , the future meaning to say unit will then be 30+ years old and above...

Or would rather make do with the current unit condition and/or do only the necessary reno..

Just curious.. as i tend to have other people commenting... wht bother to do so much when u can save $$... :D dunno if this question sounds silly...but yea... ;)

Depends on what you value ya?

- Some ppl feel happy seeing lotsa money in the bank, stay in not so optimal conditions also ok.

- Some ppl feel happy staying in a beautiful home, but not so much money in the bank.

- Some ppl go for a balance of both.

I belong to the 'happy in beautiful home' category, and I honestly would have been miserable (underlined for emphasis) if I had to stay in my original condition EM. I also know people who swing the other way and was shocked by how much I spent on reno + furnishings.

Surprisingly I don't get comments like what you'd mentioned much (actually I only recall one...). My answer was that I'll be staying for at least 5 years (MOP), and staying in a beautiful home makes me happy lor. Then smile and say in a thick skin way "my house very nice right??? I feel very happy staying in the house leh (add 'bimbo' look and voice for effect)". LOL :rolleyes::lol::P

But also depends on how good/bad the original flat condition was ya? I thought mine was quite unsalvageable and I think most people who'd seen it would agree too.

My 'before & after' pics:

before-after-preview.jpg

Not even going to show the toilets lor... I didn't even want to step into the toilets....

But if I'd bought a nicely renovated place, I would consider not doing much, like perhaps just repaint, change toilet bowl, etc.

Got $$$ plus going to stay long, 5, 10 years -> major overhaul

Got $$$ plus not going to stay long(rent out?) -> minimum reno

Not so much $$$, on budget -> do necessity reno

Agree!

My friend who just did the Reno for his 4a similar toilet size was just quoted at 2k plus unfortunately his contractor can do for me cuz he said yr end a lot if job gotta wait till after cny.. But I can't wait as I sold my place already

Depends on what you value ya?

- Some ppl feel happy seeing lotsa money in the bank, stay in not so optimal conditions also ok.

- Some ppl feel happy staying in a beautiful home, but not so much money in the bank.

- Some ppl go for a balance of both.

I belong to the 'happy in beautiful home' category, and I honestly would have been miserable (underlined for emphasis) if I had to stay in my original condition EM. I also know people who swing the other way and was shocked by how much I spent on reno + furnishings.

Surprisingly I don't get comments like what you'd mentioned much (actually I only recall one...). My answer was that I'll be staying for at least 5 years (MOP), and staying in a beautiful home makes me happy lor. Then smile and say in a thick skin way "my house very nice right??? I feel very happy staying in the house leh (add 'bimbo' look and voice for effect)". LOL :rolleyes::lol::P

But also depends on how good/bad the original flat condition was ya? I thought mine was quite unsalvageable and I think most people who'd seen it would agree too.

My 'before & after' pics:

before-after-preview.jpg

Not even going to show the toilets lor... I didn't even want to step into the toilets....

But if I'd bought a nicely renovated place, I would consider not doing much, like perhaps just repaint, change toilet bowl, etc.

Nice write up :)

I belong to something close to the 3rd type of person u describe.

I don't like to move into a unit without having to do up anything n have lots of money in bank acct. Neither do want to spent all my money on renovation n left with nothing. I will be practical n spend what is necessary.

If something I like is beyond my budget, I m open to other altetnatives but it must be value for money. I don't mind going the extra mile to source for cheaper sources which yield similar results.

Even though mine was a budget / simple reno. it was carefully planned n the design n items were carefully selected to our taste. I love my renovated EM :)

I believe in spending within my means. If I have more $$, surely I can spend more to reward my family n myself. If I have less $$, I will spend less.

Ultimately, one must be happy with what he/she has :)

Edited by potatoes

As mentioned by other before. It depend on wat u wan for yr house. Some tiles varies. Get a few quote from the actual contractor or ID. Compare price n work before paying. Please do not pay a single cent before commit or else the money is as if gone!

:) cheers

Yes, i do agree with Bento. Never pay any deposit unless u wan to commit. And there is some firm who wan u to pay deposit to view ur 3D. Try to find those who give free one. Like my friend case, engaged a firm to do his 4 room end up only have 3D for kitchen and only limited to change 2 times, if wan c more have to pay $50 per 3D. Alamak what is this.

i got quote for just doing 3 toilets and piping already 20k over..not even by id..

Wow lau so much??? u got compare quote? i did mine also not so ex.