Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Ya, excited and busy selecting all the necessary item, going to JB to make some purchase for ceiling fan and lighting to save some cost...hehee

Today's the first day of your reno process right? congrats!!

Will be collecting my keys this afternoon and if all goes well, will be starting our Reno next Monday! :thumbs up:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi All,

First off, thanks to all who have shared their reno experiences through this forum. I have been reading in the background for a long while and find the information here enriching and very useful.

I have just gotten the keys to my resale EM last week and will embark on my own reno journey starting October. The search was long and tedious as I have a limited budget to begin with. Finally settled for a unit in Pasir Ris 400 series with a lower COV asking, but the trade off? It needs a complete overhaul.

I hope to get to know some of you here through sharing and comparing notes and seeking your advice.

Cheers.

My simple renovation will come to the end soon :thumbs up:

Below are some works done:

1. Changed 3 units of air-con for 3 bedrooms

2. Created a storage cum display under the staircase

3. Glass wall & door for study

4. Hacked away existing bath tub

5. New walk-in wardrobe for MBR (this Fri :good: )

6. Whole unit painting.

7. Modifying kitchen cabinet for oven & fridge (this Fri :good: )

Plus some other minor works.

Edited by mcwee

My simple renovation will come to the end soon :thumbs up:

Below are some works done:

1. Changed 3 units of air-con for 3 bedrooms

2. Created a storage cum display under the staircase

3. Glass wall & door for study

4. Hacked away existing bath tub

5. New walk-in wardrobe for MBR (this Fri :good: )

6. Whole unit painting.

7. Modifying kitchen cabinet for oven & fridge (this Fri :good: )

Plus some other minor works.

Nice to hear that. How about sharing some photos with us here when all is done?

Question to fellow forumers,

Have anyone ever gotten HDB approval to change the upper floor toilets' small ventilation windows to a full height casement window? I am hoping to bring in more light into both the bathrooms as shown in the below sketch;

k55v.png
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Question to fellow forumers,

Have anyone ever gotten HDB approval to change the upper floor toilets' small ventilation windows to a full height casement window? I am hoping to bring in more light into both the bathrooms as shown in the below sketch;

k55v.png
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

erm...won't that be a problem when you are actually in the toilet? Your neighbours can see you on the throne/in the shower. What if you are really tired and you decide to sit on the throne and you forget to shut the window?

erm...won't that be a problem when you are actually in the toilet? Your neighbours can see you on the throne/in the shower. What if you are really tired and you decide to sit on the throne and you forget to shut the window?

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your reply. I have been following your blog closely and must say you have a really nice place in the making! Plus your food blog leave me envious and wanting to try my hand at cooking.

You have just pointed out a very valid point which did not even cross my mind. I reckon I am too overwhelmed with this reno process that I am missing out many details. For better privacy, perhaps frosted tilted window then?

gng2.png

Tilt Window Sketch;

gng2.png

Thanks for your kind words...i am at the final leg now...and trust me...i am starting to feel anxious..LOL

I think best you re-focus on another design area...anything that affects the external facade of the flat...can't be done. In a summary. It is the same with private apartments/condos. Anything that changes the facade...can't be done. Imagine if everyone started modifying the size etc of their windows...the block is gonna look really "confused"

Thanks for your kind words...i am at the final leg now...and trust me...i am starting to feel anxious..LOL

I think best you re-focus on another design area...anything that affects the external facade of the flat...can't be done. In a summary. It is the same with private apartments/condos. Anything that changes the facade...can't be done. Imagine if everyone started modifying the size etc of their windows...the block is gonna look really "confused"

I would have thought this wall belonging inside the balcony void would have been considered internal facade. Shall just have my ID try getting approval, if it happens its a definite plus. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

In fact, during one of those house hunting viewing. I have seen a unit in Tampines changed it. Legal or not? I am not sure. I will only change if its approved. Thanks.

Polls: To raise or flatten the balcony deck?

In my design brief to ID, I had spec for an extended raised timber deck for my balcony. I was trying to create a very open feel of a semi outdoor space inside an apartment. I had seen from photos of another EM doing that and took a liking to the idea.

My ID strongly disagree with my concept citing, "We are not convinced the raised timber deck extending to the toilet is ideal for the design circulation for the unit. We feel visual separation between the toilet and interior space is already apparent with the use of different flooring finishes without raising the level, and the spaces are better integrated if they are on the same floor level. Nevertheless we will design (although reluctantly) for the raised timber deck all the way to the toilet since you had strongly requested for it."

Now I have mixed thoughts, should I listen to the professionals who spend all their working time planning space for others? Or should I go with my own preference since I will be living in it?

Any thoughts and comments from fellow forumers here will be much appreciated.

i1ef.png
xe15.png

Today's the first day of your reno process right? congrats!!

Will be collecting my keys this afternoon and if all goes well, will be starting our Reno next Monday! :thumbs up:

Yes, today is the first day of my reno. Just went there to take a look, all the walls and flooring has been hack....very messy....hehee...

Yes, today is the first day of my reno. Just went there to take a look, all the walls and flooring has been hack....very messy....hehee...

heeheehee

well, heartiest congratulations once again!

Out with the old, in with the new!