Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Dear Maisonette owners,

My partner and I are eyeing at buying a resale maisonette at some point. We love the idea of having 4 rooms as well as an additional open-air terrace with almost no ceiling where we hope to chill out over great views. However, we are also in a dillemma over the following issues and hope you can help advise !

1) Cleaning - Due to the large sqm and spanng over 2 floors ! Is the cleaning a huge hassle ?

2) Staircase - Seemed like fun in the beginning, but does it start become a hassle overtime ? Forgetting things going up and down etc... ?

3) Storeroom under the stairs - The store under the staircase seemed very small and impractical - where else do you guys store your stuff ?

4) Birds flying into open air terrace - I've been reading previous posts about birds flying into the open air terrace - is that a normal thing ? We really like the idea of an open air alfresco feel and have no intention of sealing it up with windows... But have never thought of birds flying into the area and dirtying the place ! Yikes !

5) Renovation cost - How much was your overall renovation cost ? Seeing that it spans over 2 floors involving a staircase and they are all resale, I imagine an overhaul is very much needed !

5) 3 toilets - Has anyone has any issue dealing with 3 toilets ? We think it's too many and unnecessary and we were thinking of knocking the 2 toilets on the 2nd level to form a larger toilet for the master bedroom. Does anyone have any advise on this ?

Hi meemoosa,

We just got our EM & just started our reno.

For 1), yup, cleaning will be a hassle, but an ok compromise for the space ;)

For 2), good exercise? :sport-smiley-003:

For 3), we are creating another storeroom

For 4), sori, got no open terrace

For 5), at the rate we're adding stuff, I think it'll be > $100k :dunno:

For 6), depends on the no of pple in yr home. I know of someone who had no kids when they bought their EM, so they sealed 2 toilets & had a giant bathroom. Then baby came, and then maid later. So now all need to share 1 toilet bowl! :lol:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Dear fellow EM owners,

Help!! Need advice, pls. :help:

If installing wrought iron staircase, should I:

a) get the staircase installed first & then have the wooden plank laid over; or

b) install wooden staircase floor plank then mount staircase railing over?

Tks in advance!

Thanks for your welcome. Am hoping to learn more so that my reno will go smoothly. :good:

Spikedoll, do you hv AC in yr 2nd fl rooms? Wah, I sure hope my current rating will be sufficient to support 2 compressors. Dun think my family can survive w/o AC in the bedrooms :lol:

Btw, can anyone pls HELP!! regarding how I can layout my 2nd fl common toilet? We're banging our heads over it....sigh! :bangwall: Thanks all in advance!

Yes Aircon in all bedrooms upstairs

Hi everyone

Would like to know if any of you guys got contact for awning/roof tiles contractor? Am considering to have them for the balcony.

TIA

got a question for mansionette owners, how do you vacuum the second level floor? We have an osim vacuum but the thought of lugging it upstairs and the difficulty with the stairs is quite zzzzz.

Wife is suggesting getting those cordless/standing vacuum, any recommendations? Dyson/Electrolux/Bosch? Cordless gives me the impression the suction power is not that strong....

EM Owner,

Does anyone here have problems of water leakage, seeping through the ceiling from second floor to first floor? If you do, pls advise what are the options. Appreciate.

Hello Everyone!

I am looking around for an EM at Yishun. Found one @ $530K. Original condition. Do you think it's a good buy?

Thank you. 😊

hello everyone. i am new here, just bought a EM at hougang ave 10.

i am very scare of engaging contractors because of very bad renovation works for the 1st house we had. So now i am very careful and selective. also i am very stingy... want to save as much cost as possible.

bought the unit in original condition from 1st owner, needless to say we have to hack everything. i am slowly going through the forums here for ideas, tips and whats not.

more worried & stress than excitement!

Hi everyone, i think this topic is not as active as before.

I'm also a newbie, just bought an EM in Jurong. Having my reno works now. It is not so pleasant.

Hi Aries, i think that is a good buy. I bought mine at that price too! No COV.

Hi gopuffer, good luck with your upcoming reno!

Hi Microxy,

Methinks so too. However, still deciding whether to purchase an EM.

5 room HDB floor to ceiling window VS EM.

Why is your Reno not going very pleasant? The materials, design or time?

Hi gopuffer, an EM @ original condition still requires lots of hacking? I heard it's cheaper to renovate if unit is at its original condition cos less hacking required.

Cheers!

Hi gopuffer, an EM @ original condition still requires lots of hacking? I heard it's cheaper to renovate if unit is at its original condition cos less hacking required.

Cheers!

yes, hacking everything down. because all the tiles are old. after hacking left only the structure.

are you also choosing EM? i view a lot a lot of units, em, ea, 5I and condos but still choose em. its very spacious and i like that the bedrooms are separated from the common areas.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, i think this topic is not as active as before.

I'm also a newbie, just bought an EM in Jurong. Having my reno works now. It is not so pleasant.

Hi Aries, i think that is a good buy. I bought mine at that price too! No COV.

Hi gopuffer, good luck with your upcoming reno!

you are so lucky for no COV. mine was below 10k, because of the recent change in HDB rules on valuation only after price confirm. its a very good deal i would say but no COV is definitely better!

Hello Everyone!

I am looking around for an EM at Yishun. Found one @ $530K. Original condition. Do you think it's a good buy?

Thank you.

i think it is very affordable, considering if you like the area? is it accessible?

now many sellers are holding back after the new HDB ruling. because they cannot ask for high COV anymore. its also very scary because they might be selling below market value. so many of them prefer to not sell instead.