Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wow, I miss coming to Renotalk. Been four years since I was active (see my sig).

Anyway, on topic of EM, I have a story to tell.

We looked at a few EMs in Tampines. 1st one we saw, we fall in love. It was a rare EM, has 5 bedrooms (yes, you read it right), 3 on the lower floor, and 2 on the upper. It's located in a nice, D & B precint in Tampines. There're only 2 EMs in the whole block, the rest are 5-room or EA.

Floor to ceiling windows in the living room. Kitchen is odd-shaped but can live with it. Super huge but odd-shaped bathrooms, one on each floor.

No store room but we can make one from one of the bedroom. Current owner has turned the upstairs bedrooms into one super duper Master with WIW. Fantastic, so many things I can do with this unit to turn into the best house ever.

We saw it twice. First time, just me and hubby.

2nd time, we came with my 3 kids and my agent-friend coz want to talk business.

My problem is that I'm cash poor so I need to sell off my house before I can buy a new one.

The asking price was $800K. Considered expensive coz valuation around that area is about $700K+. But I'm so in love with it, I'm willing to still consider.

The more reason I need to sell my house first so we can use the cash from there to buy this dream home.

So it's now been a month since I saw the unit, and it's still on the market. Yay, so happy.

But a few weeks ago I saw smth that broke my heart.

No, the unit was not sold.

The owner is now asking for $920,000.

I thought it was a mistake. I watsapp the agent, ask her, seriously, is the seller asking for $920K?

She said yes.

I said that's ridiculous. Prices going down.

She asks me how much I'm seriously offering.

I said it is impossible for me to buy because the COV is not worth it. Even at $800K, it is over-priced, now asking for $920K??? Like an EM in Bishan or Queenstown?? Hello, this is TAMPINES ( no offence).

Even if it is 'super rare' and unique (ala penthouse EM), I still think it is unrealistic and ridiculous.

I still have to reno the unit because it's not in that great a condition. There's like aircon trunking hanging off the ceiling! and the master bathroom has glass walls!

I don't want my hubby to see me while I take a dump!

Sorry for my ranting. I'm so disappointed and angry at the seller's attitude. Don't think they're really serious in selling. They've moved out and living with sick MIL, so to them, I sell, ok, I don't sell also ok. Not urgent. That's why they dare ask for that kind of price.

What you guys think? Worth it to pay super premium COV for 'rare' unit? In this case, it really is rare. but no way I'm paying $200K extra for it.

There's better Unit available lah ....

HDB nia ..... Mansionette Shiok lah but still it's only HDB .. shouldn't pay more than it should be priced at.

keep looking around!

Hi everyone

Been missing this few weeks. Was so stressed with my id.... giving many excuses and trying ways and means to squeeze us more on cost. :angry2:

Now having problem with railing issue. A massive headache for now. If anyone have contact for railing contractors, please share. i seriously cannot tahan already... This renovation process is definitely not a good experience for me. :(...

your Id not taking care of the railing? Waa really...i think your id learn his skill from youtube..

ICON INTERIOR DESIGN

Screenshot_2013-10-25-15-22-42.pngScreenshot_2013-10-25-15-22-57.png

From RenoTalk forum, I have read many homeowners’ experiences in renovation and some can be quite daunting. I would like to also share my personal experience with Icon Interior Design (at 441 Macpherson Road) on its workmanship (in terms of waterproofing) and follow-up services. The person that I have liaised with is the sole proprietor, Wayne Chan as the Project Manager, Clive that handled my renovation has left the company. To keep to the facts of the case, the following is a brief summary of the claim which I have submitted to Small Claims Tribunal, Singapore on 22 January 2014.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Icon Interior Design was engaged to do renovation works to an executive masionette at (my address). The renovation was completed in September 2012. In less than a year, water seepage was found on the false ceiling of the dining area on the ground floor. Water was leaking from the common toilet just above the affected area.

Icon was first contacted in August 2013 to look into the leakage, i.e. determining the cause and carry out the necessary rectification. However, over the course of more than 3 months, the following were noted:

1. Icon has failed to take responsibility for the defect. It has been a push-the-blame process. An example would be claiming
that the defect was due to the aircon piping.

2. There were frequent changes of appointments and often at the last minute. Excuses given include the contractor’s van
has broken down.

3. Icon was not able to provide satisfactory follow-up, i.e. to determine the cause of the leakage and carry out rectification
work. (Till the day of hearing, the findings were still inconclusive)

4. Did not respond to the 2-week deadline given after a letter was issued by Consumer Association of Singapore (C.A.S.E) was
delivered.

Icon has been informed of the possible actions that I will be taking, which includes engaging a 3rd party to do the rectification work and all charges will be claimed against Icon. I have asked for quotations from (name of a 3rd party contractor).

On 10 December 2013, I have requested for Icon to reimburse a sum of $17387.45, so that rectification work can commence. Icon has initially intended to reimburse by claiming against its sub-contractor. Failing to do so, Icon has refused to reimburse me the amount and thus missing the 2-week deadline set by C.A.S.E.

On 13 January 2014, a letter of demand was issued to Icon by (name of a law firm), giving Icon one week to respond, Again Icon did not respond, neither to the letter issued by C.A.S.E or the letter of demand.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All content mentioned in the preceding section of this post are the exact points submitted to Small Claims, supported by evidences such as whatapps messages. The tribunal was in favour of the claimant and has ordered Icon Interior Design to pay the claimant a sum of $6000. To bring a case to Small Claims, the maximum sum that can be ordered is $10,000. Although it was only a fraction of what I have asked for, I felt that I have fought for my rights, as a consumer. The case was finally closed in March 2014, after 7 months of tussle.

IMAG1188.jpg

Moving forward to August 2014, another seepage was found on the false ceiling in the kitchen (a different area from earlier case). The water was leaking from the master bedroom toilet through the floor and wall. As a result, my parquet flooring was damaged. Icon was informed and they came on 12 September. Rectification work is massive as it involves chemical injection, removal of the kitchen cabinet (to access the leakage area) and replacement of affected parquet flooring and new kitchen cabinet.

On 16 September, I have asked for the follow-up action and expected date of rectification. However, the sole proprietor has dismissed its liability by quoting the warranty period of 15 months for waterproofing works. This has only come after the inspection and knowing the work involved.

For now, I plan to file another case with Small Claims based on poor workmanship and damage of property. The leakage did not happen over one night. Look at the pictures carefully, the metal structure that holds the false ceiling has turned rusty and stalagmite-like structures were formed. It takes time for these to happen and the leakage could have taken place way back. Not forgetting there was already a record of poor workmanship.

Icon was entrusted with the full renovation of the entire house at $77,500. Two toilets (out of three) are leaking and causing me problems. This speaks a lot about its workmanship. I am crossing my finger that the third toilet will not start to leak. As for its follow-up services, I will leave it to the reader to interpret.

In this post, I have put up pictures of the leakage but not the legal documents. Anyone who is caught in such a situation, you are most welcomed to message me. I hope I could be of some help. I would also appreciate suggestions or advice on how to resolve the issue.

IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0944.jpg

IMAG1190.jpg

Hi all,

Anyone would like to share their experiences on the linking of their Internet at home?

Am currently using Fibre Broadband for my current Flat. Probably will transfer the Fibre Broadband to the New Area.

And the obvious location to place the Fat boy is around the TV console in the Living Room.

My wife and I have identified 4 areas which i think I might need to have internet access.

- 1st level (Living room, Dining Area with a sliding door)

- 2nd level (Master Bedroom, one of the Bedroom)

Also understood that physical Walls around will reduce the transmission and affects the receiving end.

So it mean there's a possibility that we might not receive it clearly if I'm on the 2nd level.

Been trying to understand if it's better using Wifi or a physical Cat 6 Cable linkup.

Any bros or sis willing to share their experiences?

Cheerz to all! :)

Hi all manisonette owner, I am currently sourcing for a resale em. I was wondering, I believe most of us like manisonette because of the stair. But is it also because of the stair that after a few years many actually give up their manisonette? Is doing house work in the em a big turnoff factor?

Hi all,

Anyone would like to share their experiences on the linking of their Internet at home?

Am currently using Fibre Broadband for my current Flat. Probably will transfer the Fibre Broadband to the New Area.

And the obvious location to place the Fat boy is around the TV console in the Living Room.

My wife and I have identified 4 areas which i think I might need to have internet access.

- 1st level (Living room, Dining Area with a sliding door)

- 2nd level (Master Bedroom, one of the Bedroom)

Also understood that physical Walls around will reduce the transmission and affects the receiving end.

So it mean there's a possibility that we might not receive it clearly if I'm on the 2nd level.

Been trying to understand if it's better using Wifi or a physical Cat 6 Cable linkup.

Any bros or sis willing to share their experiences?

Cheerz to all! :)

I have LAN cables to 2nd floor 3 bedrooms from the 1st floor tv console where the router is located.

For 2nd floor, using laptop/desktop which require faster Internet speed then use the cable data point, else use WiFi, however if using WiFi 2.5G connection the signal is stronger than 5G.

• Like 1