Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Parquet flooring... my old place used to get a lot of scratches and chipped blocks.

maybe you want to be careful of those leh? moisture isn't very good also

its my concern also. but i really want parquet flooring. and i think its pretty common flooring now for em owner, that is based on all the viewings i made when we are looking for a unit.

i really like layout of my em. the balcony is at the back of kitchen, i think its gen 2. i prefer it than the balcony at the living room (gen 1).

im gonna shift my dining area at this balcony so we can have a very bright dining hall. im still deciding whether to do a roller shutter or install a fixed glass window all the way up

Edited by sherwinsm

Parquet flooring is standard for the era and in my opinion pretty timeless and comfortable to step upon especially when you wake up in the morning. Today's flooring try to replicate that kind of feel with laminate or bamboo, but they are cheaper substitutes in a cost-cutting effort.

There are pros and cons between Gen 1 and Gen 2 with regard to the balcony position - Gen 1 has a larger balcony while Gen 2 provides better connectivity because the balcony can be accessed via the kitchen or the living room.

I would caution against glassing in your balcony. If you get any sun it would turn into a greenhouse. Plus, it would be exceedingly hard to clean the glass panels beyond 2 metres, and the external glass surfaces would probably be impossible to be cleaned (by you).

Saving on electricity and water bill? Do the standard stuff - buy low-consumption appliances, dual mode efficient toilet flushes. Forget bathtubs and rainshowers. Skip installing mulitple downlights that you have to use - opt for energy saver bulbs placed in function-over-form positions to provide optimal lighting coverage in the main activity areas. Install rubber/plastic gaskets under doors of air conditioned rooms to maintain minimal cool air loss.

Intelligent usage patterns help too. I set my aircon to cool my bedroom when I go to bed, but have it turned off two hours before I wake up in the morning. I have my stand fan set on a timer so it takes over room air circulation in those two hours. By the time I wake up, the room has warmed up to near ambient temperatures and I don't get out of bed from under my covers feeling cold, or let all the cold air in the room "go to waste" when I open the door.

I find it quite easy to use and maintain parquet flooring, as compare to laminate flooring previously. It's either I mop with just clear water (no detergent) or I vacuum. Eitherway it is clean. The colour is very smoothing to the eyes, and like what bro cleong said, its timeless. The only problem is during reno, u really have to find ways to cover it and it's scary. Hacking, tiling or partition work being done over it.

There isn't any much choice for the area I've chosen. I chose the Gen 3. It is 4-5 sqm smaller than Gen 1 or 2. The only thing is it had a clear separation of Balcony and Service Balcony.

The kitchen for all EMs are hopeless lolxx. I find a serious lack of storage room and I think only 5rm mansionette offers that. So gotta cater a lot of build-in cabinet if you're a messy person like me lolxx.

gallery_62580_10_11165.jpg

I like it open :P.

I've been having this concept since my previous flat. Initially wanted to install Roller Shutter but the cost puts me off. Now it isn't that bad after all. lolx

Edited by Whalegaga

Anyone has tips on how to save on electricity and water bill anot??

how much is your bill each month? So far mine is manageable.

What I did do was to have LED lights for the entire house.

gallery_62580_10_11165.jpg

I like it open :P.

I've been having this concept since my previous flat. Initially wanted to install Roller Shutter but the cost puts me off. Now it isn't that bad after all. lolx

Me too!!! You dont have the steel beam? I have the steel beam and pondering to do a bamboo blind instead.

I have water leaking to my kitchen ceiling.... from the master bathroom. Need to get ID to come in.

somehow it has damaged my kitchen countertop , like eat into the solid top

Water proofing never do properly for your upstairs toilet. Probably going to be a big hacking job for the floor. Make sure they do a proper job.

Me too!!! You dont have the steel beam? I have the steel beam and pondering to do a bamboo blind instead.

Yours Gen 2 correct? Mine Gen 3. That's the Service Balcony. If you have a steel beam, mine is a Wall, lolxx.

Your waterproofing is a massive issue, to resolve it. Gotta hack the floor like what Bro Cleong mentioned. Apply the coating and tile it again.

Really you should knock your ID's head.

Edited by Whalegaga

Water proofing never do properly for your upstairs toilet. Probably going to be a big hacking job for the floor. Make sure they do a proper job.

they suspect the water proofing at the drainage has issue. Coming on thursday to check *fingers crossed*

Yours Gen 2 correct? Mine Gen 3. That's the Service Balcony. If you have a steel beam, mine is a Wall, lolxx.

Your waterproofing is a massive issue, to resolve it. Gotta hack the floor like what Bro Cleong mentioned. Apply the coating and tile it again.

Really you should knock your ID's head.

Ya Mine should be Gen 2? How do i find out what is mine? It is 22 years old so I thought it is gen 3....

Wah,Test history.

I only know

5 Rm - 130++sqm. Storeroom, Balcony, L-Shaped Stairs, 1 wash area, Kitchen, Study room, 3 bedroom above, 2 toilets above

Gen 1 - 150++sqm. Utility Room, Balcony, L-Shaped Stairs, 1 wash area, Kitchen, Dinning Room, 3 bedroom above, 2 toilets above

Gen 2 - 150++sqm. Dinning Room, Study Room, Balcony, L-Shaped Stairs, Kitchen, 3 bedroom above, , 2 toilets above, 1 toilet below (only kind to have Square Layout)

Gen 3 - 144++sqm. Dinning Room, Study Room, Balcony, U-Shaped Stairs unless Corner Unit L-Shape, Kitchen, Service Balcony, 3 bedroom above, 2 toilets above, 1 toilet below

Gen 4 - 144++sqm. Dinning Room, Study Room, Bomb Shelter, Balcony, U-Shaped Stairs unless Corner Unit L, Kitchen, Service Balcony, 3 bedroom above, 2 toilets above, 1 toilet below

I'm not too sure about those penthouse kind of HDB masionette thou or those weird shapes found in Bukit Batok/ Jurong.

Don't slap me but I remembered all these due to the units I've visited, lolxx

Edited by Whalegaga

But I have 148 sqm and not 150++ type.... Ya having own private chute is actually much easier. Which areas have the Gen 4?

I have 3 rain showers but the usage is reasonable. My electricity is the one which takes most because of the aircon i think?

Cleong, where can I get Install rubber/plastic gaskets?

Moved in 4 months and still trying to work out what to do with the house *lol*