Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
snappy

About Altar

Hi All,

This is my 3D design. Heard from old folks that all white or black means 喪事or 黑事 if you're a buddhist. I'm a buddhist and i pray Guan Yin (观音).

How about if i put all white? Is it acceptable if i pray Guan yin?

livingroom_zps6afb5d16.jpg

Is the altar done up already? If not, don't use this version of altar. It looks ok to me but if it bothers u, then better drop the idea. White altars - in Buddhism, white is a colour that exudes purity. From my perspective, it's ok but you might have maintenance issues becox the white would turn yellowy with stains later on. especially if you are using those incense coils that burns between 2-4 hours per coil.

Tell you what, to play safe, u might want to get an oracle from the temple that you visit frequently. For myself, I go to the waterloo street temple becox I'm a regular devotee over there. You could ask the guan yin deity to advise if u could have a white altar. Please bring along this photo to ask the god (guan yin) in the temple you are going to. If you go seek divine intervention with Taoist deities, they will give u a NO for a white altar. For guan yin, u still have a good chance that a white altar is a yes since Buddhism doesn't encourage superstitions.

Hope that this helps.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Just to share my little knowledge about altars..i used to be a interior designer and often gives advices to my fellow buddhists on how to set up altars that kind of stuffs..i have also seen a lot of strange things that new home owners does..like "design a floating altar on top of a fountain"....edenstrauss is right to ask WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE to set up an altar..this is extremely inportantly!

Just to share..i set up an altar at my home cos i'm a practising buddhist..i do daily prayers in front of my altar..thus my altar gives me a focal point to do my daily practices peacefully and SAFELY. But to set up an altar, there are many RULES...most importantly you must know what is your purpose of setting up an altar cos if it's not properly done..u are inviting trouble! If a statute is not blessed by a professional(monks/taoist masters from big temples) and u just set it up and place a urn in front of it..BIG trouble. Statues or religious stuffs that is not 开光 means d statue is empty! If it's empty..any passing spirits will stay inside and made it its home..and urn with daily incenses like that are INVITING More & more of them to come!!!!

dear cozydreams..your house designs looks gorgeous..but is it good to place a god near a TV(very noisy!) secondly...white and black are modern colours for a modern home..if u just wanna put a god just for 保平安...place it on a altar surrounded by 4 sides and a solid back just like as your above 3d visual..preferably try to use wood patterns(for 4 sides and back) and refrain from fancy tones/patterns..when u place the statue onto the altar..the statue's eyes MUST BE HIGHER than your eye level(when u stand in front of it).

Basically there are 2 types of heights for 2 different types of altars for buddhas/bodhisattvas/gods.

1) namely just for 保平安..just made sure the statue's eyes MUST BE HIGHER than your eye level(when u stand in front of it) as a sign of respect.

2)altars for buddhists that do Daily practices/prayers where you are sitting in lotus position most of the time u are facing the altar. In this case, again

made sure the statue's eyes MUST BE HIGHER than your eye level(when u sit down and pray in front of it).

Just to share my little knowledge about altars..i used to be a interior designer and often gives advices to my fellow buddhists on how to set up altars that kind of stuffs..i have also seen a lot of strange things that new home owners does..like "design a floating altar on top of a fountain"....edenstrauss is right to ask WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE to set up an altar..this is extremely inportantly!

Just to share..i set up an altar at my home cos i'm a practising buddhist..i do daily prayers in front of my altar..thus my altar gives me a focal point to do my daily practices peacefully and SAFELY. But to set up an altar, there are many RULES...most importantly you must know what is your purpose of setting up an altar cos if it's not properly done..u are inviting trouble! If a statute is not blessed by a professional(monks/taoist masters from big temples) and u just set it up and place a urn in front of it..BIG trouble. Statues or religious stuffs that is not 开光 means d statue is empty! If it's empty..any passing spirits will stay inside and made it its home..and urn with daily incenses like that are INVITING More & more of them to come!!!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

:good:

Your heart is yr altar.

Love the Lord your God with all your HEART and with all your SOUL and with all your MIND.

Let your MIND see,hear, think and process

Let your HEART feels

Let SOUL....anyone?

• Like 1

:good:

Your heart is yr altar.

Love the Lord your God with all your HEART and with all your SOUL and with all your MIND.

Let your MIND see,hear, think and process

Let your HEART feels

Let SOUL....anyone?

wah lau.......christian come here and talk about altar???

Why don't you go to other religion forum.....see what you get from them

Why don't you go to other religion forum.....see what you get from them

Am not directing or 'intrude' into/at any religions or cultures - since FS originates from orient,inevitably - some cultural issues would get connected.

Read 'my 2 cents worth' with critical thinking, please. Everyone has his/her 'Lord/God' in heart, in whatever 'names'.

Most importantly, don't 'mis-align' my '2 cents worth', intended or unintended, to have become source of ammunition :fire: by he/she who can't apply critical thinking.

忠言逆耳,良药苦口,三思

Am not directing or 'intrude' into/at any religions or cultures - since FS originates from orient,inevitably - some cultural issues would get connected.

Read 'my 2 cents worth' with critical thinking, please. Everyone has his/her 'Lord/God' in heart, in whatever 'names'.

Most importantly, don't 'mis-align' my '2 cents worth', intended or unintended, to have become source of ammunition :fire: by he/she who can't apply critical thinking.

忠言逆耳,良药苦口,三思

Every christian should knows his place and choice of topics in a christian life. Unless falling into the 'category' of 'lukewarm', by poking his nose into topics like altar and buddhism can be interpreted with many meanings both from buddhist and chritians alike.

Similarly, an itchy backside buddhist surf a christian forum and commented not necessary to go church. God is in their heart. Meditate the scriptures will do, bible too long. He can still achieve zen and get recycled. You know what the christians will do and say?

You represent a religion, dont because of you, shame what is behind you.

Every christian should knows his place and choice of topics in a christian life. Unless falling into the 'category' of 'lukewarm', by poking his nose into topics like altar and buddhism can be interpreted with many meanings both from buddhist and chritians alike.

Similarly, an itchy backside buddhist surf a christian forum and commented not necessary to go church. God is in their heart. Meditate the scriptures will do, bible too long. He can still achieve zen and get recycled. You know what the christians will do and say?

You represent a religion, dont because of you, shame what is behind you.

???

Like's have your valid arguments WHY christians can't discuss about the topic of altar here?

The word 'altar' first appears in the 1st Book of the 66 Books. Ge 8:20. About Noah built the ALTAR, made offerings....after the water dried

This word appear in the Bible, from 1st Book - Genesis, till the last Book - Revelation 16:7, for 321 times!

The Bible lorso? Throughout the Old and New Testaments, from alpha to omega.

Why the Jews these days still believing the 'Altar' associate with 'stone'.

Why Moses broke the stone with words casted on it?

Why the Spirit comes and reside in heart?

Indeed a 'lukewarm' christian can't understand not mentioning 'outsiders'.

Like's have your valid arguments WHY christians can't discuss about the topic of altar here?

The word 'altar' first appears in the 1st Book of the 66 Books. Ge 8:20. About Noah built the ALTAR, made offerings....after the water dried

This word appear in the Bible, from 1st Book - Genesis, till the last Book - Revelation 16:7, for 321 times!

The Bible lorso? Throughout the Old and New Testaments, from alpha to omega.

Why the Jews these days still believing the 'Altar' associate with 'stone'.

Why Moses broke the stone with words casted on it?

Why the Spirit comes and reside in heart?

Indeed a 'lukewarm' christian can't understand not mentioning 'outsiders'.

Wah lau eh......your light bulb use what type of filament le......here understood I talk chinese altar la.....all got eyes to see

Tio la.....altar appear many times in bible.....no need show off how many times (actual altar 376, altars 54)......but you mean you don't know difference.....you Jewish? Follow practising sabbath? Or follow grace? Acts 21 :25, Heb 13:9-16.

You can discuss all the the altars all you want.....already said liao....christian should know his place, representation and choice of topics in life as a living example of........ But YOU, makes me detest associating with christians

On 11/15/2014 at 11:16 PM, mpeng said:

does anyone know how to go about setup of ancestor altar. We do not have any altar setup currently and decide to do one in our new home.

1. Buy a tablet, not much bigger than your god statue, ask the shop write ancestors into it.

2. Ask a monk do a ritual to invite ancestors into the tablet.