Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BreadPigZ

What Type Of Wood For Planter Bed?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i am also racking my brains for this.

need to cover up my planter area for balcony.

natural wood like changal wood is commonly used. but i read from this forum that this wood causes problems years down the road (warp etc) because nowadays, suppliers only use young changal wood. matured ones are very hard to find. and due to deforestation issues and eco issues, natural wood costs gone up a lot.

Composite wood on the other hand, (70% wood, 30% plastic) is a slightly cheaper alternative. Of cuz doesnt look natural as ironwood or changal wood. but it does not have problems like termites or the need to stain the wood years later on. but i read from internet that composite wood causes mould in our humid country so cleaning the wood porperly is impt.

anyone can help? anyone using iron wood / changal wood or composite wood can share expereinces so far?

i call up evorich, and they actually recommend merabau wood.

how much psf is accoya wood? it has 50 years warranty right?

for a planter below 50sqft installers dont go by psf. but expect around 1.5k for accoya wood.

for a planter below 50sqft installers dont go by psf. but expect around 1.5k for accoya wood.

Hi Morganwu, what is your view on chengal vs accoya wood? The latter I understand is quite new, my contractor hasnt heard of it before when I mentioned to him.

my ID also had not heard of accoya wood....

end up I use iron wood instead of composite wood as:

1) cost difference is about SGD 200 more only

2) composite wood will feel hot under our weather, since it is plastic

3) composite wood do not need maintain, but once stained, it is almost impossible to remove, unlike iron wood which can be polished and varnished.

3) composite wood do not need maintain, but once stained, it is almost impossible to remove, unlike iron wood which can be polished and varnished.

Probably safest choice since never heard of accoya wood. Let someone try first, perhaps big developer. It is probably a chemical treated wood. Or it might be a hard outdoor wood. If it is soft don't use, even if it chemical treated for outfpdoor use. They dents too easily.

Popular hard woods used for decking besides composite, are chengal, iron wood, merbau and Balau. Other woods i heard is from indonesia, kempas, but i have never seen such decking installations.

I am attracted to composite up is the clip system without nails is the wood tops. natural wood is nice but need to maintain. Make sure the decker stain the wood on the underside too. Water base stains from europe are the best.

Hi

Can you pls share photo of your done up planter area?

Thanks

Hi

To share my experience.

My contractor had just finished installing High-density polyethylene (HDPE) PLASTIC LUMBER on my planter.

After checking on some quotation, their price is most reasonable in term of quality and substainbility as comparing to the pro/cons of WPC and woods. Infact, it was the same contractor introduced by one forumer bunnymummy.

You can find more info in their website http://www.wagonequipment.com.sg

See photos of my planters in below link.

My planter

Edited by OBL