Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

It took me a while to read thru your carpentry nightmares...totally unacceptable and I can feel your frustration and agony..

I'm also getting my relative to do my carpentry work...I'm keeping my fingers crossed~

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi theitsybits

Firstly, i must kowtow :bow: to you for being able to tahan all the terrible workmanship by your carpenter. 8|

I can totally understand how u r feeling now cos i faced the same problem (but not as bad) before. Since its recommended by your MIL, guess thats nothing much you can do except focus on the wonderful home (by Mr K.'s hands) you gonna have soon. :good:

:yamseng:

i buay tahan, driving me crazy but also bo bian..can only shake head..really looking forward to the nightmare ending and doll up the place soon.. :D

55 post it tags! I think the carpentry part must be the most trying on your patience. hope they quickly rectify soon.

yea..totally driving me nuts.. ;) given their workmanship and bad reviews, i really don't expect that much from them anymore.. ;)

Hi dear!!!

Wow ur house is transformed! And i would really say the whole design and concept is fabulous just alittle pity on the poor carpentry workmanship. But hang in there, it's ending soon!! All the best!!

yar lor..i saw paloma's and your plywood, come see mine all rough and edges cut bluntly really want to cry.. :help: i still cannot understand why they can never sand, all so rough still come install.. :dunno:

now only can close one eye, better if can close both eyes.. ;)

Such a beautiful house. I'm surprised you're not already mad with the carpentry. I would have gone into fits and rejected the entire batch. This is horrible. I wouldn't compromise on my home and your patience is commendable. But MILs will be MILs... I feel sorry for you!

:curse: it's a horrible experience..i've been mad since a long time ago till only have strength to shake head now..rejecting entire batch may mean another 8 more weeks of waiting and no guarantee it will be better or if they will even deliver them..after all that trouble and anguish the past 4 months, i really just want my house ready.. :bangwall: no point being upset now, they can see for themselves and hopefully reflect on themselves..time to move on, 4 whole months of anguish is enough.. :bleah:

It took me a while to read thru your carpentry nightmares...totally unacceptable and I can feel your frustration and agony..

I'm also getting my relative to do my carpentry work...I'm keeping my fingers crossed~

i guess, not many people is as lucky as me..seldom see so horrible work too..so can't be worst than mine! good luck! :P

frankly, i think i did better technical work in woodshop during secondary school.

my sentiments too :D i got A for D&T in Sec 1 and i sanded my wood really straight and smooth on this belt that moves..i still do not understand why my carpenter can deliver carpentry without even sanding it with blunt cuts.. 8|

Day 80

Mr K got the plumber down to fix my sinks and rain showers and heater today.. :D

Our place is already fully functional and 90% completed..only pending carpentry rectifications, and we have zero update about when they are coming to get it all done..as usual.. :curse: Whatever it is, I told the husband that I want the place ready for delivery of furniture by 8th, just before he travels for work again..so it has to be ready by next weekend for cleaning..surely 10 days for rectification is ample time? :unsure:

7844648070_76f6040cc7_z.jpg

Rainshower on my mosaic wall..

7844652272_eea026009f_z.jpg

Sink and tap.

I honestly think that my common toilet is lacking something, it looks....normal..it didn't turn out like how I expected it to be..and I honestly think it's the laminates which made the difference..my ideal was cement-screed like laminate to gel the kitchen and toilet floor tiles..but this laminate is somewhat, boring, old-fashioned, normal.. :( hopefully some nice toiletries will make it look nicer..

7844660102_72f3b3d3da_z.jpg

Guess which hole was cut by my carpenter and which hole is cut by Mr K's plumber? :bleah: there's a cabinet door, yes, but still.......

7844657618_82d7f14a63_z.jpg

Kitchen sink and matt tap.. :)

There's so many defects and ridiculous work by my carpenter that I can't decide which is worst out of all..it's incredible how they do things and i'm beginning to find humor in the whole situation..it's, simply, really, utterly unbelievable, WTF-how-can-such-things-happen situation..although i knew they had bad reviews online, i never expected them to do such a bad job for us after all the commotion.. ;)

And i decided that the most funny part is how he left his 'signature' on my carpentry..scribblings are visible on my feature wall, apart from one whole row of holes..

7844752642_0e7db3e694_z.jpg

it's like...having your tailor draw on the undersides of your shirt.. :P

7844662210_9437bd22e2_z.jpg

And I dropped by The good things @ Clementi Mall today..they are using these raw plywood shelves too..and it's really smooth to the touch, like really smooth, like paloma's and pinkwhale's beautiful plywood carpentry that shows the many different layers and grains..bua your face on top also not scared..

the husband suggested that we bring our carpenter here to touch and feel..so he knows what is expected..so if our edges are still rough, i'm going to bring him here..if still cannot, i sand one for him ask him follow exactly.. :bleah:

7844660102_72f3b3d3da_z.jpg

Guess which hole was cut by my carpenter and which hole is cut by Mr K's plumber? :bleah: there's a cabinet door, yes, but still.......

I thought my carpenter didn't cut properly enough. yours look bad! like tearing the thing apart rather than cut! 8|

And I dropped by The good things @ Clementi Mall today..they are using these raw plywood shelves too..and it's really smooth to the touch, like really smooth, like paloma's and pinkwhale's beautiful plywood carpentry that shows the many different layers and grains..bua your face on top also not scared..

lol.. love this part >.<

I thought my carpenter didn't cut properly enough. yours look bad! like tearing the thing apart rather than cut! 8|

Really simply bo-chap...

Maybe you should ask the carpenter to sand until smooth smooth that he don't mind to bua his backside with it at all.

Please ensure they "mend" back the "hole" coz it's in the common toilet, if not the plywood will be exposed to moisture and degrade even faster. (Although the back is also raw...)

I salute you for your "ren kung" (patience) and accepting unpleasant situation with a pinch of salt. :sport-smiley-003::jammin: If the same happens to me, I would have exploded and started World War III with whoever is in my path 3 1/2 mths ago :sport-smiley-004:

Bo Bian! Just let them do their worst, then rectify all at one shot 8|

U mean he havent smooth the plywood? It's really rough. Totally not acceptable. Shake head. Not sure if my fren house is different wood, but it's totally smooth. Dont think it's sandpaper before.

yea, it's super big! waste my space lei..smtimes it feels like so near yet so far, still must get rectifications done! :curse:

thank you! yea, so near...yet so far.. :P

haha don't think so la! and magazines usually prefer ID projects? they can't feature my place and say it's done by a contractor who has no hdb license right? :P

hmm nope..taobao is abit different, because it seems like they only accept china credit cards and i'm not sure if they ship overseas..so most buy using a middleman..i heard it's possible using some chinese paypal-like system, but i'm not trying because it's a hassle liaising with the seller and settling shipment issues..not sure if anyone has done it or can advise?

basically i search taobao for items i want to buy..then I look out for things like comments and ratings..after deciding on the item, I copy that link to daigou65 page, and add details like quantities and color and comments i.e. check volume weight with seller before buying..

after that, the daigou65 people will liase with the seller and get back to you (in english!)..so you can ask them to check details or ask questions..once you give the green light to buy, you pay using a pre-paid account with daigou65..you transfer $ to their account..then they will arrange the shipping to Singapore..you can check the status of your buys on their website..

not sure if it's clear but you can check out instructions and shipping rates/commission rates on their site.. :D

Do you want white tracks? I have 2 extra, cuz i kiasu bought 4 when i wasn't sure if i wanted track lights for kitchen and corridor..they are 1.5m long..u can have it if u like, it should be able to fit all kinds of track lights..

taobao has LED track lights too, but the effects of LED spot lights are somewhat different to me..i got the E27 spotlights and bought the bulbs here..so it depends on how bright you want them to be..

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16850760408

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13938812502

The spotlights were really cheap because they packed all 6 in a small box with plastic wrapped around each..they were really light too so shipping was cheap while each one was less than $2. whether or not things are worth it generally depends on the size and weight, since shipping is almost always more expensive than the actual product.. e.g. my tom dixon lights cost $30 but shipping was almost $70 due to the volumetric weight..my spinning lights cost a lot to ship because it's really big too, but it's still more than half-price from Fran Franc/Lightings.com for the same thing..

hee thanks!! yes, i did spend many nights envisioning the feel of the whole place, drawing 3D drawings in my head since we had no 3D drawings.. :paint: i'm glad it turned out fine, though my husband thinks the tom dixon lights does not really fit our theme or the corridor.. :o my idea was that the living room and kitchen is really white but as you move inside the house, it eventually transits to a darker tone as my toilet has black mosaic and black granite..and my MBR is in grey, and probably perpetually dark.. :P

yea..quite hard to be worse than mine! :furious:

lol.. love this part >.<

it's really smooth! bua his face on mine think no need go see ppl liao.. ;)

Really simply bo-chap...

Maybe you should ask the carpenter to sand until smooth smooth that he don't mind to bua his backside with it at all.

not sure how smooth or rough his backside is lei..but later he rather bua and spoil his butt than make my wood smooth how..backside nobody see wor.. :P

:jawdrop: is this really done by a carpenter???

yar lor, the 'best' carpenter in the ID firm..

Please ensure they "mend" back the "hole" coz it's in the common toilet, if not the plywood will be exposed to moisture and degrade even faster. (Although the back is also raw...)

sigh...! i've no clue how they are going to box it up or something.. ;)

I salute you for your "ren kung" (patience) and accepting unpleasant situation with a pinch of salt. :sport-smiley-003::jammin: If the same happens to me, I would have exploded and started World War III with whoever is in my path 3 1/2 mths ago :sport-smiley-004:

Bo Bian! Just let them do their worst, then rectify all at one shot 8|

still got a long road ahead lei..just have to look at the big picture lor..what i'm worried is rectified still bad or become worse.. :bow:

U mean he havent smooth the plywood? It's really rough. Totally not acceptable. Shake head. Not sure if my fren house is different wood, but it's totally smooth. Dont think it's sandpaper before.

hmm think all wood after sawing will not be totally smooth and will need to be sanded somehow to make it smooth..either by hand or machine..mine lazy never do lot 8|

Thank you all for the concern, it's good to know that there are normal people out there and we're not too demanding nor unreasonable.. :o

Carpentry work worse than mine is quite difficult to achieve..many other things are not obvious from photos and you need to touch and see to realize how bad all the details are..my heart aches when I look or think of my carpentry..yet I really don’t think I can take any more of their rubbish and prolong this anymore..

The husband wanted to confirm if touch-up for laminate edges is permanent, otherwise he wants to request to change the whole piece of bookshelf..they told us that touching up the ugly black lines on the sides is not permanent but they can do it if we insist..using the same logic, my bookshelf edges will not be permanent too, especially if I keep sliding the books out..MIL called my husband unreasonable and asked him to pay up, and the husband is really furious..i’ve never seen him so angry before the past 8 years..he says he’s not going to pay 15k for such work..even when everyone can see how bad the workmanship is, MIL is still siding relative and pointing fingers at us, like we are the ones at fault and being difficult..

Another issue is the internal laminates..his current wardrobe are internal laminates too, including the edges..but ours are internal laminates but ABS trimming, which is PVC..he’s not happy about it, since they made us use relative due to full laminates finish wo poisonous PVC, yet PVC was still used..so it totally defeats the 'no pvc no poison' and good workmanship they promised right from the start..pvc was still used and workmanship is as what you see..

*shakes head* after the last clash, I’ve come to learnt that trying to reason with unreasonable people brings you nowhere and only makes you shiver with anger..while I’m unhappy with such work, I’m resistant to getting them change everything..many of his customers have similar problems, bad workmanship and delays and some have brought complaints to CASE against him and refused to pay (according to renotalk posts)..at this rate, I’ve no idea how long it will take for them to redo and deliver..or who knows how long they can last..some also feedback that making them redo does not improve anything, still the same bad workmanship..unless they are agreeable to remove existing carpentry and let us get someone else to do it without paying..but that would mean a lot more trouble and prolonged misery.. :bow:

carpenter will be coming down to rectify tomorrow..the least he can do is sand my plywood really smooth.. ;)

Edited by theitsybits