Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
frostyapple

How To Charge For Pub Utilities When Renting Out Rooms

I am renting out 2 bedrooms, already found tenants. One room requires air con, the other room does not want air con.

How to charge for PUB utilities ? Anyone has experience dealing with this ?

The tenancy agreement states that the room rental includes PUB but does not include air con. If one tenant wants to turn on the air con, he must pay the amount on the PUB bill after deducting $100. Do you think this is fair ?

Edited by frostyapple

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I am renting out 2 bedrooms, already found tenants. One room requires air con, the other room does not want air con.

How to charge for PUB utilities ? Anyone has experience dealing with this ?

The tenancy agreement states that the room rental includes PUB but does not include air con. If one tenant wants to turn on the air con, he must pay the amount on the PUB bill after deducting $100. Do you think this is fair ?

usually i will show the average bill BEFORE air-con.

Then i will charge one-off $100 to the tenant with air-con (did u provide fan as well ?)

However i will tell the tenant that $100 is fixed plus variable. Variable because singpaore import everything, therefore if the unit price increase, he will also pay the increment which is the variable part.

..and to add on from my previous post.

If tenant ask "what if" unit price falls ? I still charge a fixed base of $100. This is because i will have to service the aircon unit eg cleaning, gas, etc

If tenant still not happy - ask them to leave lor.

..and to add on from my previous post.

If tenant ask "what if" unit price falls ? I still charge a fixed base of $100. This is because i will have to service the aircon unit eg cleaning, gas, etc

If tenant still not happy - ask them to leave lor.

Thanks. At first I wanted to charge a fix $150 in addition to the room rental. The tenant is not comfortable with that. He has his own fan, but still must have air con. That's why I told him to pay whatever is shown in the PUB bill. Now the problem is that his sister stays with him, and he works day shift, while his sister works night shift. So the air con is on day and night, sian... He is not too happy about paying the PUB bill, complaining that the tenant in the other room may use more electricity/water.

Hi,

I would like to ask, what if I rent out both bedrooms and tenants require air-con in both room, how much to charge? Thanks.

Hi,

I would like to ask, what if I rent out both bedrooms and tenants require air-con in both room, how much to charge? Thanks.

I think u can charge each tenant an additional $100 for the aircon.

Unless they are at home throughout the day & turned the aircon, there are slimmer chances that u will see a hefty increase in the PUB bills to say, hundreds of dollars.

I assume that your aircon is the energy saving version, not the non-inverter/ window unit types.

how do u charge rent with aircon? bt batok?

100 fixed at bt batok

Tomorrow a few tenants coming to view common room at bt batok central.

I put up $550 + 100 aircon - for single tenant ONLY. Therefore there should not be any excusess that other tenants are using.

One of the tenant is going for repeat visits to my place again. I hope to rent to her because she is pretty lah :-)

But eventually money notes still better looking :-(

100 fixed at bt batok

I put up $550 + 100 aircon - for single tenant ONLY. Therefore there should not be any excusess that other tenants are using.

One of the tenant is going for repeat visits to my place again. I hope to rent to her because she is pretty lah :-)

Good luck to u :)

100 fixed at bt batok

Edited by Maria

I think it's best to rent your rooms to same type of tenants who want aircon, so price can divide by 3 on bill. Maybe additional $100 for cleaning.

You can state the number of hours they are eligible to use, and if exceed it will bring up the price means everyone pay more.

Another way maybe install a electric meter per room.

You can state your contract whatever way you wish, which they must agree

Another way maybe install a electric meter per room.

You can state your contract whatever way you wish, which they must agree

I'm thinking of installing an electric meter in the rooms tat I'm gonna rent out. How do I go about it?

What is the rate to charge them by the meter?

I'm thinking of installing an electric meter in the rooms tat I'm gonna rent out. How do I go about it?

What is the rate to charge them by the meter?

I wouldn't recommend installation of electric meters for rooms. Reason being that I had explored that option for the past 2 years but had been advised against doing so by installers.

Drawbacks:

• High installatlon costs - if I didn't recall wrongly, it's about $1k per meter
  • Tenants could still dispute over your meter reading; they can argue that your meter is faulty or that you tampered with it such that they are overcharged - it's a similar situation as that of passengers complaining that the fare meter in the taxi is faulty & billed them a higher fare.

And the second point above was highlighted to me by both installers (for meters) & landlords.

should charge around $80+

i charge fixed rate of $50...

think i lugi a bit... cos the tenant a student on aircon > 12 hours a day.