Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dapliew

Our New Home

I did a quick count on my BR titles, I nearly fainted! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: 200+

However compared mine to Xtremeplace, small fry! :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yup, Def Tech BP7006 floor standers, centre speaker and 2 pro monitor 800 as surround speakers. I use the small sub in the floor standers for bass - both of them. AVR is demon 2310, players - Oppo BDP-83 and DV-980H.

if you use powerline, be aware that the throughput gets cut by roughly 50% per hop so if you daisy chain these powerplugs, u lose a lot as you go...but if u're just doing normal surfing for tablets, phones, is sufficient...if u want to do torrents, do it off your main router...

locating routers not necessarily centre of the house is best, although most times, that holds true...it depends on the number of walls and electronic equipment you've got in between...my current setup is in my living room, sort of on the edge, middle of the length of my apartment and not in the centre but i still get about 3-4 bars even in my MBR cos I sited it such that there's only 1 wall between the MBR and study...it's sited very close to the ceiling, yes...

for 2 levels, ur best bet is wired from level 1 to 2, although friend of mine has no issues doing wireless in his 3 storey townhouse cos he hates wires...his 1st level router is a powerful cisco one (i think same as mine), and he uses a wireless repeater (aka access point, think was a somewhat mid level cisco router) at level 2...again, there is a slight loss in throughput but not as bad as powerline...for split level houses, powerline is a bit risky as the 2 plugs have to be in the same electrical segment - if they're across 2 segments, they won't be able to talk to each other, as one friend found out...

i agree with ong - that mio router sux as a wireless router, forget it...

for bluecheeze, if ur TP and ONT are beside your main door, how far is it to ur living room LAN point ? cos u somehow gotta get the connection from your ONT to your study, correct ? so you cannot avoid having to run a cat 6 cable from your ONT to somewhere near there and site your main router there that point, then from main router -> LAN point -> study ...

i had my parents' place done up like urs, i.e. TP and ONT next to door to avoid the ugly wiring...powerful router (dlink) connects to ONT, which provides strong wireless access to entire living room...another router configured as an AP is located in the study, which broadcasts to the rest of the house (many walls in between)...the grandkids can still game (they play LOL) in the study despite being linked to the AP instead of the main router...but they use wired connections to the AP...

Yup, Def Tech BP7006 floor standers, centre speaker and 2 pro monitor 800 as surround speakers. I use the small sub in the floor standers for bass - both of them. AVR is demon 2310, players - Oppo BDP-83 and DV-980H.

Cool, so yours is 5.0? :sport-smiley-004: I found 1 more kakis in renotalk.

Ok, looks like you had increased since the photo of your rack was taken!!!!

Oh, that's outdated, my rack long time full house! So many new ones in a big paper bag at the moment, going to look for a bigger rack! Not sure to go for out/enclosed type. :sport-smiley-004:

if you use powerline, be aware that the throughput gets cut by roughly 50% per hop so if you daisy chain these powerplugs, u lose a lot as you go...but if u're just doing normal surfing for tablets, phones, is sufficient...if u want to do torrents, do it off your main router...

locating routers not necessarily centre of the house is best, although most times, that holds true...it depends on the number of walls and electronic equipment you've got in between...my current setup is in my living room, sort of on the edge, middle of the length of my apartment and not in the centre but i still get about 3-4 bars even in my MBR cos I sited it such that there's only 1 wall between the MBR and study...it's sited very close to the ceiling, yes...

for 2 levels, ur best bet is wired from level 1 to 2, although friend of mine has no issues doing wireless in his 3 storey townhouse cos he hates wires...his 1st level router is a powerful cisco one (i think same as mine), and he uses a wireless repeater (aka access point, think was a somewhat mid level cisco router) at level 2...again, there is a slight loss in throughput but not as bad as powerline...for split level houses, powerline is a bit risky as the 2 plugs have to be in the same electrical segment - if they're across 2 segments, they won't be able to talk to each other, as one friend found out...

for bluecheeze, if ur TP and ONT are beside your main door, how far is it to ur living room LAN point ? cos u somehow gotta get the connection from your ONT to your study, correct ? so you cannot avoid having to run a cat 6 cable from your ONT to somewhere near there and site your main router there that point, then from main router -> LAN point -> study ...

i had my parents' place done up like urs, i.e. TP and ONT next to door to avoid the ugly wiring...powerful router (dlink) connects to ONT, which provides strong wireless access to entire living room...another router configured as an AP is located in the study, which broadcasts to the rest of the house (many walls in between)...the grandkids can still game (they play LOL) in the study despite being linked to the AP instead of the main router...but they use wired connections to the AP...

Take a picture on how you placed your modem & router :sport-smiley-004: Agreed with Dragonnite. It works this way too. By the way, our Dragonnite is IT by profession, I'm not but my strong interest in IT kicks that in :P

Sounded like you are on OT in Renotalk :thumbs up:

Edited by ongcs

Take a picture on how you placed your modem & router :sport-smiley-004: Agreed with Dragonnite. It works this way too. By the way, our Dragonnite is IT by profession, I'm not but my strong interest in IT kicks that in :P

Sounded like you are on OT in Renotalk :thumbs up:

eh, I shy lah...u better at this kind of wiring stuff :notti: I kpo only

no lah...came home late last night n was doing other stuff...:D

Edited by dragonnite

I am currently using powerline at my current place and it sucks! When someone on/off a switch, you likely lose some data package, so I get problems with iTunes downloads of podcast or apps - have to restart them everytime. When another pc using the line at the same time, I can get disconnection from the router. So these are some of the issues you might face using this method.

No issues when i was on cable/adsl as i had pts in my room, so modem/routers were in my room. The current setup started when they put the fibre TP in living room, and ONT has to be in the living room near the TP. Since I am not going lay LAN cables here anytime soon, it's the best solution... Which is why LAN pts will be part of the plan in the new place and hence those questions on how best to lay it.

Edited by Alpc

For EM, you need to have wide coverage for both levels. As such, you need 1 router each in Level 1 & 2, you should not save $$$ on that. Placement of router should be always in centralised location at each level ideally. You had mentioned the worst position for the modem aka Mio box to be located inside TV console, you had created 1 additional shield on it. Secondly, inside the console, you had also reduce the WIFI coverage further due to low level on AIR. Let me elaborate further, for WIFI to be effective, the lesser the interferences from objects/panels in wood/metal material, glasses, the better it is. As they will reflects WIFI signal off your intended zone. It should be placed at high location.

Good to know that your ID had suggested to wired your rooms located in level 2, likely that you need to access your laptops or desktops at both location. Wired connection for both rooms will ensure dedicated internet access. However, you did not mentioned the networking route on how the rooms are wired from to gain access?

Firstly, did your ID linked level 1 & 2 with LAN point using Cat6 cables as your modem is located at level 1, it should never ever be overlooked. If no, I got no idea how both rooms will have internet access. Please do not tell me that your ID had suggested Hot plug connection. Why? waste $$ wired your rooms. Secondly, did your ID suggested to wire your level 2's common walkway with LAN point? For this, it is optional, for your in depth information, I will placed the 2nd router in common walkway, in concealed ceiling or on shelf to provide equal quality WIFI coverage for both rooms.

Last, the Singtel Mio box has build-in router, but it is decent only, I will use it as modem soley, bridge it to a quality router for your case, due to your EM status. If your Mio has telephone access, can be a bit tricky to configure.

No offence intended on reply, just sharing my thoughts from your supplied information. I can advise further when you hit me again.

Yes, concealed network cables will cut off any interferences.

You need to check with your ID how he/she wired as per my reply to you above.

Thanx ongcs and dragonnite for sharing. :good:

Ongcs, I will check with my ID how does the electrician wired the networking route from level one to level two. Hmm.. If I place the Singtel MIO box (modem) on the TV console, get a router and place it beside the Singtel MIO box (modem), will my signal at level one get better? Err... Think I will have phone access to my MIO wor, can it be done? My current place, Singtel MIO box in my master bedroom wired to LAN point. My phone in living room on TV console wired to phone point, but some times can get some interferences. Hmm.. Is it normal? Will the TV signal affect the wifi signal huh? Paiseh..Paiseh.. Ask so many question.

What is Hot plug connection? My level two walkway no LAN point.. Hmm.. For level two, should I get another router or wireless repeater to put in my master bedroom? :help:

Thanx in advance.. :yamseng:

No problem at all. I liked your t-blog, your t-blog name is catchy! :sport-smiley-004: Good to shop some stuffs from Amazon ya? :notti: may value add your home if any? :dunno:

I've actually ordered kohler flipside from amazon! Saw that it was discounted around US$20 from its already quite reasonable price, so fast chiong! More items on my amazon wish list just that haven't order yet. Hehe.

eh, I shy lah...u better at this kind of wiring stuff :notti: I kpo only

no lah...came home late last night n was doing other stuff...:D

:sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: Dont be shy, just a picture of your modem & router deployment zone. Picture speaks a thousand words. I believed it will benefit those reading it.

In fact I liked your simple network deployment when I visited your place last friday. The placement of the router was decent, located at high cornered 90 degree wall. As such, signal from your router bounds off well to the rest of your house. A simple example of not centralising your router but maximised your WIFI effectively.

I am currently using powerline at my current place and it sucks! When someone on/off a switch, you likely lose some data package, so I get problems with iTunes downloads of podcast or apps - have to restart them everytime. When another pc using the line at the same time, I can get disconnection from the router. So these are some of the issues you might face using this method.

No issues when i was on cable/adsl as i had pts in my room, so modem/routers were in my room. The current setup started when they put the fibre TP in living room, and ONT has to be in the living room near the TP. Since I am not going lay LAN cables here anytime soon, it's the best solution... Which is why LAN pts will be part of the plan in the new place and hence those questions on how best to lay it.

Exactly, powerline aks Hot plug is fine. It is not as bad as it is. However, for powerline to be effective. We need to identify/consider 2 area.

The route distance of your electrical power line, if it is a short, powerline should be decent to get intended coverage. Strictly bad if 24/7 download basis. If long, need to identify along the electrical power chain, any power sucker items were input along it. If yes, it will affects the performance of the powerline, why? during to NOISE

Due to various reasons, took the idea off of having hot plug aka powerline in each rooms during my pre-renovation days. Matter of fact, I bought quite a no. of Hot plug during IT shows, disposed them off in 2nd hand market unused & brand new in box.

Back to your concerns, your project comes with flooring? If no, quite easy to plan. However, since you are into HT, better to plan how you want to maximise your networking synergy in your new place.

I'm using powerline at my current place and it's not stable at certain times... totally no connection for a duration, though I'm not sure whether is it due to the powerline adaptor or other issues. N sometimes certain website works only on safari, can't work on firefox :dunno:

I already got cat 6 cable run around 2 LAN points in the house, one in living room, one in study. Erm, so you suggest I use a strong router to connect to ONT inside the DB box? My DB box is housed inside a super mini room of sorts (small enough to stand one person kind), there is a wooden door in front, unless I don't close this door at all, will wifi from the router be strong enough to reach living room?

Regarding the configuration at your parents' place, "another router configured as an AP is located in the study" - is this LAN point --> router? and what's a "AP"?

Edited by bleucheeze

I've actually ordered kohler flipside from amazon! Saw that it was discounted around US$20 from its already quite reasonable price, so fast chiong! More items on my amazon wish list just that haven't order yet. Hehe.

Ah... Flipside... You getting the 01 or 02? Btw, u know the difference other than the shape?

My wife love it when she saw it at the local dealer that time when we are looking for shower set.

But I manage to convince her to get Hansgrohe since I'm getting the shower set and a bit strange to have a Kohler head...

:sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

Ah... Flipside... You getting the 01 or 02? Btw, u know the difference other than the shape?

My wife love it when she saw it at the local dealer that time when we are looking for shower set.

But I manage to convince her to get Hansgrohe since I'm getting the shower set and a bit strange to have a Kohler head...

:sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

Before you mentioned, I didn't know there is a 01 and 02! I bought the 01 which I think is the version on display at local dealer. No idea what's the difference between 01 and 02 though. I am not changing shower set, just change the showerhead only. :P

Thanx ongcs and dragonnite for sharing. :good:

Ongcs, I will check with my ID how does the electrician wired the networking route from level one to level two. Hmm.. If I place the Singtel MIO box (modem) on the TV console, get a router and place it beside the Singtel MIO box (modem), will my signal at level one get better? Err... Think I will have phone access to my MIO wor, can it be done? My current place, Singtel MIO box in my master bedroom wired to LAN point. My phone in living room on TV console wired to phone point, but some times can get some interferences. Hmm.. Is it normal? Will the TV signal affect the wifi signal huh? Paiseh..Paiseh.. Ask so many question.

What is Hot plug connection? My level two walkway no LAN point.. Hmm.. For level two, should I get another router or wireless repeater to put in my master bedroom? :help:

Thanx in advance.. :yamseng:

Yes, if you had did this placement, the signal definitely improves. If possible, never near major electrical devices, ie TV, when near the TV panel, it will affects the waves emitting out of the router. Place your router at high level above your TV console panel if you had planned some shelfs/opened cabinets will do, for your MIO Box, it is ok to be on the console. Do note that, the router will be also near your LAN point at level 1 which grants internet access to LAN point in level 2.

Is your mio box at your current place, 2 in 1 aka broadband & telephone line package? If yes, that is tricky, you can check with Singtel whether they allows seperate modem for broadband & telephone line. However, if your MIO box provides broadband & the phone in your living room wired to phone point are seperated, it should not have any issues. Unless you are using cordless phone, when placed near TV, some interferences can't be avoided.

click on it Hot Plug aka Powerline

If possible, get a router & configured it as AP aka Access Point. WIFI repeater much easier to configure. Plug & play device. Whichever your budget allows.

Cool, happy shopping!