Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dapliew

Our New Home

Before you mentioned, I didn't know there is a 01 and 02! I bought the 01 which I think is the version on display at local dealer. No idea what's the difference between 01 and 02 though. I am not changing shower set, just change the showerhead only. :P

So what shower set u using? I also change mine for the common bathroom. HDB shower mixer with Hansgrohe head...

Not bad.. :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm using powerline at my current place and it's not stable at certain times... totally no connection for a duration, though I'm not sure whether is it due to the powerline adaptor or other issues. N sometimes certain website works only on safari, can't work on firefox :dunno:

I already got cat 6 cable run around 2 LAN points in the house, one in living room, one in study. Erm, so you suggest I use a strong router to connect to ONT inside the DB box? My DB box is housed inside a super mini room of sorts (small enough to stand one person kind), there is a wooden door in front, unless I don't close this door at all, will wifi from the router be strong enough to reach living room?

Regarding the configuration at your parents' place, "another router configured as an AP is located in the study" - is this LAN point --> router? and what's a "AP"?

Could be the powerline or noise in your electrical power line.

Either you place the strong signal router in living room or studyroom. If in living room, Modem cum router->Lan point in living room->Lan point in Study room->AP->Wired & Wireless connection.

Or, in study room, Modem(disable the router feature)->Lan point in living room->Lan point in Study room->Router->Wired & Wireless connection.

Never place your router inside the Box, reduce your WIFI signal for sure, at least an opened concept cabinet please. It is a big NO NO

Ah... Flipside... You getting the 01 or 02? Btw, u know the difference other than the shape?

My wife love it when she saw it at the local dealer that time when we are looking for shower set.

But I manage to convince her to get Hansgrohe since I'm getting the shower set and a bit strange to have a Kohler head...

:sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

Change all again lo, wait for good discount, put into your wishlist :bleah:

bleucheeze & HappyAng, if you all find it confusing by what I had typed so far. Let me check my plans on saturday, I can give you all an onsite run-though using your floor plan designed by ID at my place. Can run through my home networking with you for better understanding. :sport-smiley-004:

Back to your concerns, your project comes with flooring? If no, quite easy to plan. However, since you are into HT, better to plan how you want to maximise your networking synergy in your new place.

Nope, it's standard, so no flooring done in living and bedrooms (so it's good to go with concealing the LAN cables in the ground!). Kitchen/Service yard/Shelter comes with glazed porcelain tiles (why?! Isn't it slippery when wet?!), bathroom with ceramic tiles, walls for those areas are ceramic tiles - according to the sales brochure.

Yeah, which is why I am asking around about the points and concealment of wiring and how network cables can be laid, although I do have time on my side since it will still be a while before I even smell it! Even electricians would ask, "Huh? Why need to lay LAN cables? Only private properties need lah!" (That's what they heard when they first request for it during their reno, but got them to insist on getting that done. But I forgot to remind them to make sure it's not running parallel to the power lines! LOL)

But what has HT got to do with network - You talking about those network HDD players like your Popcorn?

I should also see how I can conceal the wires for the surround speakers (if it is possible at all).

i forget liow, whose is whose... :unsure:

anyway, for the person who has the TP and ONT juz next to main door, i took a picture of the setup at my parent's place...a bit ugly but it works...totally wireless from this point onwards, no cables cos it's an existing house...

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49380&view=findpost&p=733845

in addition, the router shown here connects to a slightly lower end dlink router in the study (there's only a glass panel in between in almost a straight line), which functions as an access point (AP)...or at least, i think i configured it as an AP and not a repeater...can't remember liow...but because the router in the study is older, i had to hack the firmeware (installed dd-wrt) before it would function that way...

my current setup, must go home and take picture...my fone dun have... :sport-smiley-018:

technically, ONT does not have to be near the TP - i think that cable looks to be about 1m or so or you can buy a longer fibre cable (yes, that orange line which costs a bomb)...so can conceal it like any normal cable except bear in mind it's very fragile so you can only coil or lay it straight... ;)

bluecheez, you can leave your ONT in that room and then run a cable out from there to your router - the key point is your router should be outside...drill a hole for the cat 6 cable and power supply into your door/wall and mount the router over it ? but wait ... wasn't yours the one that had a lot of walls between this place and the living room so doing wireless from here is not a good idea, better to cable to a convenient spot in ur living room...

i confused liow :wacko: maybe it would help if you have a copy of your floorplan then can see the walls in between and how the fibre enters your place... :blink:

Nope, it's standard, so no flooring done in living and bedrooms (so it's good to go with concealing the LAN cables in the ground!). Kitchen/Service yard/Shelter comes with glazed porcelain tiles (why?! Isn't it slippery when wet?!), bathroom with ceramic tiles, walls for those areas are ceramic tiles - according to the sales brochure.

Yeah, which is why I am asking around about the points and concealment of wiring and how network cables can be laid, although I do have time on my side since it will still be a while before I even smell it! Even electricians would ask, "Huh? Why need to lay LAN cables? Only private properties need lah!" (That's what they heard when they first request for it during their reno, but got them to insist on getting that done. But I forgot to remind them to make sure it's not running parallel to the power lines! LOL)

But what has HT got to do with network - You talking about those network HDD players like your Popcorn?

I should also see how I can conceal the wires for the surround speakers (if it is possible at all).

That is the best for your case, easier to run networking cables :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: For glazed porcelain tiles, yes, quite slippery, been to our friends' place, find it too smooth, can glide on it. ;)

Electricians dont understand the networking system for each individual needs. Hard to explain to them, in fact, when I did mine, they rolled eyes, because I had insisted on the materials that I wanted, they dont have it, so I had sourced them myself.

Yes Yes, run a dedicated power line, if possible 2 for your HT system :good: 1 for Digital system & 1 for Analog system.

Nowadays, HT needs internet access to be SMART mah, can utlise the online features. :notti: As for my Popcorn, I can stream contents easily if my NASs are located elsewhere. Never stream contents on wireless, not as good as wired though. Not sure whether you are into media player :dunno:

I know someone stream via wireless, Dragonnite lo. But her WIFI coverage at her place is good, not much blockage.

anyway, for the person who has the TP and ONT juz next to main door, i took a picture of the setup at my parent's place...a bit ugly but it works...totally wireless from this point onwards, no cables cos it's an existing house...

in addition, the router shown here connects to a slightly lower end dlink router in the study (there's only a glass panel in between in almost a straight line), which functions as an access point (AP)...or at least, i think i configured it as an AP and not a repeater...can't remember liow...but because the router in the study is older, i had to hack the firmeware (installed dd-wrt) before it would function that way...

my current setup, must go home and take picture...my fone dun have... :sport-smiley-018:

technically, ONT does not have to be near the TP - i think that cable looks to be about 1m or so or you can buy a longer fibre cable (yes, that orange line which costs a bomb)...so can conceal it like any normal cable except bear in mind it's very fragile so you can only coil or lay it straight... ;)

bluecheez, you can leave your ONT in that room and then run a cable out from there to your router - the key point is your router should be outside...drill a hole for the cat 6 cable and power supply into your door/wall and mount the router over it ? but wait ... wasn't yours the one that had a lot of walls between this place and the living room so doing wireless from here is not a good idea, better to cable to a convenient spot in ur living room...

i confused liow :wacko: maybe it would help if you have a copy of your floorplan then can see the walls in between and how the fibre enters your place... :blink:

Wahaha...you hacked the FW, last time I did it, nowadays, lazy to do it anymore. Rather upgrade my router :notti:

Agreed with Dragonnite, show us your floorplan, plse, the one designed by your ID

Wahaha...you hacked the FW, last time I did it, nowadays, lazy to do it anymore. Rather upgrade my router :notti:

Agreed with Dragonnite, show us your floorplan, plse, the one designed by your ID

i hacked it cos i was too lazy to go buy another one - it was also <1 year old ! :sport-smiley-004:

my fren tells me the asus ones can also hack the firmware :notti: :notti: apparently, even faster wor...but i'm not so siow like them...:D

Pai seh, I'm confused also. TP = opennet termination point? What is ONT?

Talking abt running cables, since you have insisted on your list of materials, did you put the list here? Don't remember reading that list - can share?

Oh, possible to share your quote from your ID/contractor, if not here, can PM me?

More reading material to go through once my holidays are over...

i hacked it cos i was too lazy to go buy another one - it was also <1 year old ! :sport-smiley-004:

my fren tells me the asus ones can also hack the firmware :notti: :notti: apparently, even faster wor...but i'm not so siow like them...:D

I know as I went to read on it, but it is serving me well. Unless the current updated ones, improves the WIFI signal further. :sport-smiley-004:

Pai seh, I'm confused also. TP = opennet termination point? What is ONT?

TP - termination point installed by opennet, that small little box thing

ONT - optical network terminal, aka the fibre modem that ur service provider will provide to you

they are connected by an orange cable which is a piece of fibre optic cable - you should never ever bend it, only coil it or lay it flat...expensive to replace...

Talking abt running cables, since you have insisted on your list of materials, did you put the list here? Don't remember reading that list - can share?

Oh, possible to share your quote from your ID/contractor, if not here, can PM me?

More reading material to go through once my holidays are over...

Don't remembered listing them down. I want AMP, so I bought my Cat6 cables, 1/2 gangs network Cat6 plugs & faceplates from local AMP distributor.

The quote on laying networking cables? Per point should be $90-$100 excluding materials. $100 for patch panel.

ONT - optical network terminal, aka the fibre modem that ur service provider will provide to you

they are connected by an orange cable which is a piece of fibre optic cable - you should never ever bend it, only coil it or lay it flat...expensive to replace...

2nd that

Thanks. i forgot to add, there is a LAN point beside the TP location, which is inside tat little "room" with a door where db box is. Also plan to install ONT inside. If I connect the ONT to this particular LAN point, does it mean I can get wired access to laptop from the LAN point in my study? I already got cat 6 installed for all LAN point.

Edited by bleucheeze