Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dapliew

Our New Home

Thanks. i forgot to add, there is a LAN point beside the TP location, which is inside tat little "room" with a door where db box is. Also plan to install ONT inside. If I connect the ONT to this particular LAN point, does it mean I can get wired access to laptop from the LAN point in my study? I already got cat 6 installed for all LAN point.

can show us your floor plan?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

can show us your floor plan?

floorplan.png

ST is where TP and LAN point are already installed. There is power socket there as well so plan to ask Starhub to install the ONT there. Bedroom 2 in the floor plan is where my study will be located. No changes to MBR. To recap, there is 1 LAN point on the wall (the longer side leading to main door) somewhere in between living and dining. Another LAN point in study (BR2) near the window.

Edited by bleucheeze

Don't remembered listing them down. I want AMP, so I bought my Cat6 cables, 1/2 gangs network Cat6 plugs & faceplates from local AMP distributor.

The quote on laying networking cables? Per point should be $90-$100 excluding materials. $100 for patch panel.

Why AMP? Good price value for the materials used in that cable?

Actually was asking about the whole house, not just network.

Yes Yes, run a dedicated power line, if possible 2 for your HT system :good: 1 for Digital system & 1 for Analog system.

Nowadays, HT needs internet access to be SMART mah, can utlise the online features. :notti: As for my Popcorn, I can stream contents easily if my NASs are located elsewhere. Never stream contents on wireless, not as good as wired though. Not sure whether you are into media player :dunno:

I know someone stream via wireless, Dragonnite lo. But her WIFI coverage at her place is good, not much blockage.

Analog system!??! LOL! Where got $$$ for that after the HT! Now with the looming reno cost as well, need to save save save (in order not to disrupt my annual holiday plans due to this)!

HT already busted my budget because I decided to go with the BP7006 floorstanders instead of my original plan of 5 small speakers with a sub. Since the BP7006 has a small sub in their floorstanders, I got 2 small sub in replacement of that 1 big sub - Heck if I really want, I could also connect to the center speaker's small sub to make it 3 small subs! However, I am not too into those big "thumping till my heart also goes with it" bass, as long as the entire sound is good, with enough bass when needed in the movies or concert I am happy. I guess I am one of those that is not totally poisoned by XP people. :bleah:

Not into streaming... But maybe if I hooked up correctly, I could pull photos to be viewed on TV directly from NAS instead.

Hmmm... One more thing to research when I get back. Now busy tying up knots so that I can happily go for my holiday that is in 3 days time.

Edited by Alpc

floorplan.png

ST is where TP and LAN point are already installed. There is power socket there as well so plan to ask Starhub to install the ONT there. Bedroom 2 in the floor plan is where my study will be located. No changes to MBR. To recap, there is 1 LAN point on the wall (the longer side leading to main door) somewhere in between living and dining. Another LAN point in study (BR2) near the window.

orh, like this easy...put your ONT into ST as per your plan, connect a cat6 cable from ONT to the LAN point within - this will give your fibre connectivity throughout your house, no loss in throughput...

for wireless in ur living + dining, connect a wireless router to your existing LAN point there, standard config - this will give you wireless all over your living, dining and some level of signal in your kitchen....

BR2 is ok - your machines can connect directly to the LAN socket, unless you know you have >1 machine there in which case I would advise you to get a gigabit ethernet switch or a wireless router which has multiple gigabit ethernet ports (get whichever one is cheaper)...wireless router is good cos your smaller devices don't need a wired connection...

the only problem is your MBR and the central parts of your house (yes, including your toilets)...a lot of walls...do you need coverage there ? if yes, suggest you place another wireless router at the red spot...however, in your MBR, there will be virtually very little to no signal unless you have a LAN point in there liow...

floorplang.png

orh, like this easy...put your ONT into ST as per your plan, connect a cat6 cable from ONT to the LAN point within - this will give your fibre connectivity throughout your house, no loss in throughput...

for wireless in ur living + dining, connect a wireless router to your existing LAN point there, standard config - this will give you wireless all over your living, dining and some level of signal in your kitchen....

BR2 is ok - your machines can connect directly to the LAN socket, unless you know you have >1 machine there in which case I would advise you to get a gigabit ethernet switch or a wireless router which has multiple gigabit ethernet ports (get whichever one is cheaper)...wireless router is good cos your smaller devices don't need a wired connection...

the only problem is your MBR and the central parts of your house (yes, including your toilets)...a lot of walls...do you need coverage there ? if yes, suggest you place another wireless router at the red spot...however, in your MBR, there will be virtually very little to no signal unless you have a LAN point in there liow...

floorplang.png

Ha, looks like with floor plan, it's so much easier for u to advise... Ask you hor, my contractor said I can use wireless access point. So should i get WAP or router? Thanks.

Why AMP? Good price value for the materials used in that cable?

Actually was asking about the whole house, not just network.

I chose AMP for its quality. Other brands are decent, slightly cheaper though, just my personal preference. They are not over-priced if from local distributor. But if via retailed, so much expensive, 100% markup at least. Let me go and dig it, will forward to you soon.

Analog system!??! LOL! Where got $$$ for that after the HT! Now with the looming reno cost as well, need to save save save (in order not to disrupt my annual holiday plans due to this)!

HT already busted my budget because I decided to go with the BP7006 floorstanders instead of my original plan of 5 small speakers with a sub. Since the BP7006 has a small sub in their floorstanders, I got 2 small sub in replacement of that 1 big sub - Heck if I really want, I could also connect to the center speaker's small sub to make it 3 small subs! However, I am not too into those big "thumping till my heart also goes with it" bass, as long as the entire sound is good, with enough bass when needed in the movies or concert I am happy. I guess I am one of those that is not totally poisoned by XP people. :bleah:

Not into streaming... But maybe if I hooked up correctly, I could pull photos to be viewed on TV directly from NAS instead.

Hmmm... One more thing to research when I get back. Now busy tying up knots so that I can happily go for my holiday that is in 3 days time.

Even if you are not going into analog system. Run it for future proof, no harm since your place does not equiped with flooring. Haha...whether it is 5.0/5.1, purely personal, can alwways add in at later date. Yes, that is right, for NAS, not just Video contents, can do picture & music contents. Enjoy your upcoming holidays!

Ha, looks like with floor plan, it's so much easier for u to advise... Ask you hor, my contractor said I can use wireless access point. So should i get WAP or router? Thanks.

Of cause easier for Dragonnite to explain. When your contractor mentioned wireless AP? at ST? If possible, get router(can configure as AP as well) for future proof.

Of cause easier for Dragonnite to explain. When your contractor mentioned wireless AP? at ST? If possible, get router(can configure as AP as well) for future proof.

When he installed cat6 lan points for me. Er, possible to explain in layman terms what's the difference between wap and router? :dunno: And what do u mean by future proof, what additional features that may come in handy in future?

Edited by bleucheeze

router...a router can function as an access point (AP) as well...key difference is an AP has to connect to an existing router...price difference not much nowadays...

the only challenge you have is if you're using 2 routers, you want them to have the same SSID cos you don't want to have to keep switching SSIDs on your various devices...before i start that, there's only 1 LAN port in ST ? no patch panel ? then all the ports in your house are daisy chained ?

router...a router can function as an access point (AP) as well...key difference is an AP has to connect to an existing router...price difference not much nowadays...

the only challenge you have is if you're using 2 routers, you want them to have the same SSID cos you don't want to have to keep switching SSIDs on your various devices...before i start that, there's only 1 LAN port in ST ? no patch panel ? then all the ports in your house are daisy chained ?

Dragonnite: I think bleucheeze got no idea on patch panel. Prob just LAN point from Living room to Studyroom on direct 2 traffic basis. I could be wrong.

Today you quite ENG hor :notti:

Edited by ongcs

Dragonnite: I think bleucheeze got no idea on patch panel. Prob just LAN point from Living room to Studyroom on direct 2 traffic basis. I could be wrong.

Today you quite ENG hor :notti:

likewise, likewise... :notti: :notti:

it's monday !! :bangwall::bangwall:

Jiat lat, i dun understand what you are saying... If I remember correctly, there is 1 LAN port in ST. What is same ssid, patch panel and daisy chained? If it helps... mine is a resale condo, I believe the developer already have the LAN faceplate installed, with a string inside for contractor to pull cat 6 cable and link up the LAN (if what I understand is correct). What the contractor did was to pull the cat 6 cable through the LAN port and also did the prep work for opennet to install the fibre optic cos we have to do it concealed as per condo management's rule. I told him how/where I wanna use my devices and he told me all I have to do is to buy wireless access point and use at the two LAN port.

Edited by bleucheeze

likewise, likewise... :notti: :notti:

it's monday !! :bangwall::bangwall:

I'm not, quite busy, managed to reply while working on my orders. Stupid Nikkei :furious:

Jiat lat, i dun understand what you are saying... If I remember correctly, there is 1 LAN port in ST. What is same ssid, patch panel and daisy chained? If it helps... mine is a resale condo, I believe the developer already have the LAN faceplate installed, with a string inside for contractor to pull cat 6 cable and link up the LAN (if what I understand is correct). What the contractor did was to pull the cat 6 cable through the LAN port and also did the prep work for opennet to install the fibre optic cos we have to do it concealed as per condo management's rule. I told him how/where I wanna use my devices and he told me all I have to do is to buy wireless access point and use at the two LAN port.

If possible, take a picture of your ST. I suspect you got patch panel there. To avoid confusion, dont discuss further. Got picture got discussion if not go out of point. :sport-smiley-004:

I chose AMP for its quality. Other brands are decent, slightly cheaper though, just my personal preference. They are not over-priced if from local distributor. But if via retailed, so much expensive, 100% markup at least. Let me go and dig it, will forward to you soon.

Even if you are not going into analog system. Run it for future proof, no harm since your place does not equiped with flooring. Haha...whether it is 5.0/5.1, purely personal, can alwways add in at later date. Yes, that is right, for NAS, not just Video contents, can do picture & music contents. Enjoy your upcoming holidays!

100% markup!?!? Ok, how you managed to get from distro - you got load of spare cables?!!! :notti: More reading stuff, ha ha.

True, now that you have mentioned it - should at least plan for such possibilities, so that if it does becomes real, got the location/stuff for it. More things to plan, but got the time. So, ok, will keep that in mind.

Thanks!