Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
calaislily

Help! What Should I Do About Ceiling Leakage?

Need some good advice...

The ceiling at my service balcony is leaking for at least half a year. We tried contacting the owner of the above unit to resolve the matter several times but they just ignored us. We even offered to share the costs for the repairs. Meanwhile, the leakage is causing us much inconvenience as we need to dry out clothes. There's a pipe partially concealed by the false ceiling.

Can some kind soul please tell me what can I do about this? I read that there are some BCA rules that state the unit above is liable for repairs unless they can show proof that the problem does not lie with them.

We hope to resolve the problem amicably but my neighbour don't seem to care :(

Appreciate if someone could provide me with a contact for the repairs too cos I don't think a regular plumber could do the job. Thank you

Edited by calaislily

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

To speed up the process, you can try to pay in full for the repair work rather than split half half with your neighbour. I paid the full price when my neighbour below requested for it. Didn't want to drag for too long as I can sense that she is reluctant.

In addition, you can try engaging NTUC for the renovation and plumbing work. The website is here: http://www.income.com.sg/homeservices/

If you are living in a condo, bring this up with the management office. They will issue the owner a letter requesting for them to investigate and repair the leak if this their fault. Hope this help.

I've experienced a few complaints of ceiling leakage from my tenants over the years.

Agree that you have to ask the management office to issue a letter to your neighbour, emphasizing that owners have to attend such matters by law.

In the letter, suggest a convenient time for your contractor to go inside their unit for inspection and give them a deadline to reply.

Your contractor has to inspect both units to confirm whether the problem lies in waterproofing, piping, etc. If the problem proves to be from the unit above, your neighbour can use a contractor from either party to fix it, but they have to foot the bill.

Thanks for the replies.

Propertysoul, wonder if you have any reliable contractor to recommend?

If this does not work, any other solutions like lodging a formal complaint with the relevant authority? I understand that there's some laws on such dispute.

I relied on my property agent to manage my properties. It's her contractor. Please PM me if you need the contact.

P.S. I think getting the help from the management office is the most efficient way.

Need some good advice...

The ceiling at my service balcony is leaking for at least half a year. We tried contacting the owner of the above unit to resolve the matter several times but they just ignored us. We even offered to share the costs for the repairs. Meanwhile, the leakage is causing us much inconvenience as we need to dry out clothes. There's a pipe partially concealed by the false ceiling.

Can some kind soul please tell me what can I do about this? I read that there are some BCA rules that state the unit above is liable for repairs unless they can show proof that the problem does not lie with them.

We hope to resolve the problem amicably but my neighbour don't seem to care :(

Appreciate if someone could provide me with a contact for the repairs too cos I don't think a regular plumber could do the job. Thank you

Hi calaislily i assume you are living in a private apartment or condo?

As recommended by the other forummers, get management to issue a letter to the unit above.

They are bound by the by-laws to ensure that they rectify the matter within a reasonable time.

Otherwise you can take legal action.

You have no obligation to pay at all.

The upper unit has to ensure the problem is rectified and pay the contractor to do your unit once the problem is solved.

In fact the onus is on them to get a contractor and not you.

Edited by reikotan