Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

actually best is for contractor/ID to finish their work, consumer den paid them. it can be in (5 times of 20%?)

if they want to open such company, they should be well prepared on their cash flow problems.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The problem is, who should be the one paying fee to the bank & CASE? they do not want to do it for free, unless our PM can release fund to support this idea :good:

Cool idea! Just like how housing loans are released. Or maybe minimally ensure that these contractors are audited. Many of them are exempted Pte Ltd companies that do not need to go through audit. They have no accountability to the number of incomplete works. Or they could be hiring illegal cash job workers. We have no means to monitor or track, unless some form of legal ID was given.

Mine was a real headache. With the amount paid, I had entrusted his expertise to do a good job but what he had done was highly dangerous. Concealed electrical wires thrown in to wall without tubing, cove light holder sloped and on the verge of falling and indoor plaster used for outdoor plastering - just to name a few. And oh, not to forget the ruckus he had created in not abiding to disposal regulations and stealing tiles from my estate.

These unethical contractors should really be put behind bars and banned from continuing in this profession. They give contractors a bad name.

i think their audit should be financial statements on their accounts, instead of internal controls? but about the illegal cash job workers, it can be another serious problem...

it is definitely helpful cause i do have quite a few case where my owner are avoiding us after job completion, and of coz the standard way is to find lot of trouble for first as their weapon, until they have no more chance, avoiding is their next Technic to delay payment :dunno:

If the fund are already in placed, there will have lesser avoiding game :good:

Cool idea! Just like how housing loans are released. Or maybe minimally ensure that these contractors are audited. Many of them are exempted Pte Ltd companies that do not need to go through audit. They have no accountability to the number of incomplete works. Or they could be hiring illegal cash job workers. We have no means to monitor or track, unless some form of legal ID was given.

Mine was a real headache. With the amount paid, I had entrusted his expertise to do a good job but what he had done was highly dangerous. Concealed electrical wires thrown in to wall without tubing, cove light holder sloped and on the verge of falling and indoor plaster used for outdoor plastering - just to name a few. And oh, not to forget the ruckus he had created in not abiding to disposal regulations and stealing tiles from my estate.

These unethical contractors should really be put behind bars and banned from continuing in this profession. They give contractors a bad name.

Guest Lee Xiao Long

You are right, if Case & HDB could take up some helping hand by approaching the bank for some kind of renovation guaranty,

means once contract are signed between the party, the amount will pay to the bank and let them release accordingly to the payment term,

this may help both owner & contractor have a safe mind throughout the renovation.

Of coz they are some agreement whichever, it do helps.

Case or HDB if you hear us, this is another business opportunity :good:

Reading this thread makes me sianz to the max. I finally managed to find a cheap contractor and reading this thread gives me the jitters.

Guest Vicki Goh

I heard stories from my colleague as she say her contractor run away and she had changed 3 contractors for her carpentry works...this is nightmare...i am in the mid to choose my ID and heard so many stories..

it seems like there are alot of such cases, "someone" (which i have no idea who should you all approach, beside CASE? does HDB helps?) should be doing something also right?

should have a legal rule and regulations set for the segregated payment terms for the contruction works carried out.

so that they won't ask for 95% payment upfront. (taking NLai's example).

If they cannot solve their own internal cash flow problem, i don't think is a right way for consumer to help them.

should have someone to monitor all the ID and contractor..esp their internal cash flow problem...

That really sound scary...renovation cost a bomb and with cheaters around...any tips on how to choose our ID or contractor correctly?

Go with HDB, CASE, RADAC and BCA certified contractors. Or contractors registered under associations such as the Singapore Contractors Association. This is such that if anything happens, these organisations can step forward to help you mediate or send other contractors to rectify.

Below is a good article to start with:

http://www.renotalk.com/articles/467/7-Renovation-Problems-To-Avoid

CASE also has a model renovation agreement guide - what to look out for when signing agreement to make sure that they are strong.

https://www.case.org.sg/consumer_guides.aspx

I was careless, didn't read up, and under undue influence to accept many things. E.g. If I brought up anything that was unfair, he would raise his voice to say 'hey Ms' you're so picky, such a stinge or bully. But now that I spoke to many people, I realised that I wasn't picky at all. I had given him many chances... Whoever saw my apartment or heard of the price he quoted me, they would all shake head... We're not even talking about quality, we're talking about way below norm here.

What the... Then is the problem solved? Or your house is still wrecked.

Unfortunately not... my house is still in a wreck... and I'm unable to engage another contractor as that would mean incurring further loan... That is why I need people who had similar experiences with him to step forward. You can find him on Facebook - Devon Teng of Integra D'sign Pte Ltd.

If you do recognise him and have similar encounters, please let me know.

Actually the one that help me do not very famous but quite experienced , he also not bad. Is some of my friend recommend me want.. Dont know u ever heard of anot. Dan Liew is the ID.